Alexb SSL 9K Console...cant believe im just discovering this....

Discussion in 'Software' started by officialswish, Jun 5, 2024.

1. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Did they take the Xbox apart and study all the components to make sure the game characters are real? :rofl:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
  2. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

It's the non-linear behaviour that we like, but the sound is also shaped algorithmically by the developers. Nebula is like a car, you don't need to know what is going on under the hood to get from A to B.

These days the algo plugins are getting a lot better and I will happily use both, but I don't see any point in ridiculing a technology that was way ahead of the curve for many years, and still sounds very good today :wink:

3. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

Let us simply ignore the trolls, and continue the conversation in a more interesting manner.

EQ, harmonic distortion, what else?

4. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Recording studio hardware is non-linear, and you could even argue that it was Nebula that pushed the algo developers to find new solutions in order to make their products sound more authentic. As I mentioned above, the 3rd-party Nebula developers each have their own way of doing things, which has resulted in many improvements over the years. It even forced Acustica Audio to make their own products better. Personally, I don't care what is under the hood, just like most old school producers didn't particularly care too much about what was inside their analogue boxes. The old adage "if it sounds good it is good" is as relevant now as it was back in the pre-digital age. So my advice would be just use your own ears and if you don't like something, then don't use it. There's not a lot more I can say on this subject as I am not a geek. Anyway, I' have to get back to manipulating those 1's and 0's in my own non-linear way :)

5. anonymouse

You're missing the point. We're past the I like/don't like. I've been using every Nebula program there is. Some people are not interested in how things work, I am. If you're not capable of answering, that's ok too!

EQ, harmonic distortion, what else?

6. TeknoGenius

TeknoGenius Member

you sure you're talking about the right person? Alex has little to no promotion lol

7. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Apologies, I was replying to the wrong post :)

8. mftzy

mftzy Newbie

its kinda fun what people bring the argue here, keep it up and don't insults out of topic

i love nebula and the real console anyway:chilling:

9. anonymouse

Interrogating? Yesterday I ate a delicious pakistani tomato soup. I asked the chef about the ingredients and he supplied me a short list, admitting it wasn't really pakistani he just called it that so people would imagine it being middle-eastern.

Then stop answering lol, the question is not for you. You're cluttering the thread.

10. DarkSound

DarkSound Noisemaker

Zenarcist, don't pay attention to a toxic person. I think, people around him are tired of his tediousness and criticism or he is afraid to criticize in person. So he teaches how to live and what plugins to use on the forum. If he was interested in his own question, he would have contacted the creator of the plugin. If you like something, how it sounds, use it. You're not a developer to figure out all the details. When I had questions about SD3 Darkness, I contacted Tue Madsen. Or I talked to CLA when there was a question about the MWTM video. So this person is not interested in your answer here. He wants to show that he is better. That's all. Ignore it.

11. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Sorry boss :)

12. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

I remember my first time sitting behind the massive SSL J 9088 at Patchwerk in Atlanta for Dukes Of Daville when they were under Capital/EMI, there's a video on youtube. Truly a special console with an amazing sound, one that AlexB captures 90% of for 99.9% less money, lol. So enjoy a digital Nebula library but always know the hardware is an amazing beast of a board no software can touch, but Nebula is the closest IMHO.

I also worked on Will Smiths J9000 out in Boom Boom Room LA and a few other J9000's.

13. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I'm afraid I have a history of ignorance. When I studied art I failed to investigate the exact compounds found in all the materials I used, and I still don't know which chemical elements (or their ratios) are found in the alloy that was used to make the bridge on my Les Paul guitar. Come to think of it it, I don't even know what type of solder was used to put my vintage MS-20 together. Note to self: Must do better!

14. anonymouse

I wouldn't worry about it if you're not interested in it. Though do realise that there are people who do not only enjoy playing their guitars and synths, but also enjoy knowing more about the materials used and their inner workings. Don't be afraid of those people, their interests do not conflict yours, you can both co-exist at the same time.

15. mftzy

mftzy Newbie

you got the wrong quote mate:rofl:

16. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

*Fixed :unsure:

17. officialswish

officialswish Member

yeah when you go into plugin doctor you can see the basics of that but when you put it on multiple sources over the course of a session its wild the actual shaping that happens.

18. officialswish

officialswish Member

i think this is sort of the thing. from a software sense there isnt much else but how it actually behaves and acts is whats remarkable. like i said, i thought in my original post, i thought it was smoke and mirrors bc of waht i read on gearslutz. and in a broader sense, bc of what people have said about acustica plugins in general. i ran it through plugindoctor and saw what it was doing and liked, at the very least, the attention to detail of each button, knob, etc etc adding harmonics and color to the signal. When i put it on the session that I sent out for placement, there was a clear difference in what it did to the overall shaping of the record. on the larger session, an even more pronounced impact on the overall shaping of the record. if you've never used it, just give a try. im certainly interested in the 9K EQ from this guy.

19. officialswish

officialswish Member

patchwerk and treesound. legendary spaces in Atlanta. Never been to boom boom room but friends of mine worked out of there before.

this is 100% not the real mccoy. i saw somebody in one of the threads say that this was akin to trying to capture a real woman. ultimately any sex doll with 'life-like' flesh is still only a sex doll with life-like flesh and not a woman.

until i get more time in studios and/or can afford a real ssl, i have no problem leaning on this lol.

20. officialswish

officialswish Member

that one is based on the Neve right? I was telling @Zenarcist that i'd love to try them all at some point but want to stick to the 9k for now.