Alexb SSL 9K Console...cant believe im just discovering this....

Discussion in 'Software' started by officialswish, Jun 5, 2024.

1. officialswish

officialswish Member

With all of these new tools constantly being released it's kind difficult, but fun, to figure what works and what doesnt to further develop your work flow and sound. For years i've seen nebula mentioned on various sites and never gave it a second thought. On Friday I saw Alexb's 9k Console mentioned on Gearslutz and thought i'd try it out. I worked on an idea for the purposes of putting together a mix using it just to see if it was all smoke and mirrors. I also ran it through plugindoctor. And i'll be damned if i wasnt blown away. I took off sunday and monday after 6am in the gym, i sat right back down at my set up and pulled up a session for a song that I wanted to send out for placement. The song itself sounds quite busy but there isnt much going on by means of instances in the production, so i placed the 9k console on every instrument, the reverb/delay bus and the mixbus. and was blown away again. Today i went for a song thats going to be on my album that has wayyy more going on in the production and vocal and figured that adding it to the session would be even more noticeable because of the cumulative effect of having so many actual instances of audio going on. I'm sold. The space it creates. the depth it creates. the clarity that it creates. I put an instance on drums and there is just that much more added punch. Vocal just that much more out in front. the stereo image is just that much more wider. Its like taking a veil off of the song and giving it even more presence. Definitely considering just buying his other SSL libraries(at least the EQ) to compliment this thing. One of the first products that I've tried that had no industry-wide hype that made me reconsider everything im using and want to support it. What are you guys' experiences with this and his other work? im wholly sold.

3. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

his other consoles are excellent. the api gentlemens edition or gold or whatever its called. American console i think. Its great. It has tone shaping abilities and saturation that can go a long way. His ssl 9keq is really good. One of my favorites.

4. officialswish

officialswish Member

im in love with it. i cant believe nobody is talking about it more. want to check out the neve and 4k consoles.

5. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

dont sleep on the studer console. its one of my fav's

6. officialswish

officialswish Member

hey yeah i saw it. I dont wanna jump on too much at one time lol. get overwhelmed. I definitely want it though. it and the 4k. I respect that nobody ever actually donated their offering to the sister site, although i wished they had haha. Im gonna focus on the 9k for now and get the EQ. there is a sound I'm going after and the console had a big impact on those influences.

7. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

"DC coupling, short signal paths, no electrolytic capacitors in the audio pathways, OFC internal wiring, fully balanced mix buses, angelically pure mic preamp, exceptionally low THD, noise floor & crosstalk levels keep your audio absolutely pristine"

Is this not a SOFTWARE product?
    Short signal paths?
    No electrolytic capacitors?
    No SHIT. :deep_facepalm:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. devilorcracker

devilorcracker Platinum Record

Sounds like some kind of made-up words.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. officialswish

officialswish Member

whats the point of the post my guy.

10. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Well, I'm not your "guy", but I'll respond anyway.
    The point of my post is to point out the cringy pseudo-tech marketing of this product.

It may be a fantastic product, but the marketing is deceitful.
    It's very common to market "mojo" (an imaginary thing) and pseudo-tech, but it is still a bunch of lies.
    Of course those who know won't be taken in by that and will judge the product itself based on performance, but the fact remains that someone knowingly is attempting to bullshit those who are vulnerable to such lies.

I find it surprising that, in such liberal arenas as the arts are, that such intellectual raping of others is not only ignored, but often applauded and supported.
    Where is the heart in this?
    Why do they lie? (Just money or is there some other justification?)
    Don't THEY care? (Perhaps not about those they deceive, but what about their reputation? I guess not enough people call them out on this?)

Well, those are some reasons for my post.
    It's just my emotional reaction to an issue i feel is ignored, yet I feel the reaction is appropriate, as the practice is somewhat harmful.
    Not that harmful, but harmful enough to justify a reply pointing it out.

Note: I DO understand that this is a sampling process and that the specs of the hardware are significant. It's just the "directional push" of the marketing that I find distasteful.
    So you might say that I am biased against the whole industry of sampled systems.
    Well, I AM to some degree. It's why I say "cringe", and I say "lies". The claims are often factually true (the hardware sampled actually DOES have no electrolytic capacitors, for example), but are actually irrelevant in the swamp of programming, yet pushed so hard.
    Like candy being offered to a baby ...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
    • Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • List
  11. MFSAKA

MFSAKA Ultrasonic

Mental disorders are wonderful discoveries in Nebula world.
    Dreamers in love with their ignorance.
    Creating difficulties for yourself out of nowhere, and heroically overcoming them.

Alex, login by your real account.

• Funny x 8
    • Like x 2
    • Dislike x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • List
  12. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

hi is referring to the sampling process lol. Its how he captures the gear. its not an algo emulation. two seconds of research you would know this

13. omiac

omiac Moderator Staff Member

"My GUYS" :mad: ... Please relax with all the personal insults etc. TY.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

It might be that you didn't get from my comments that I understand what's being done in the creation of these effects.
    But did you miss the last paragraph in which I clearly state:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Note: I DO understand that this is a sampling process and that the specs of the hardware are significant. It's just the "directional push" of the marketing that I find distasteful.
    So you might say that I am biased against the whole industry of sampled systems.
    Well, I AM to some degree. It's why I say "cringe", and I say "lies". The claims are often factually true (the hardware sampled actually DOES have no electrolytic capacitors, for example), but are actually irrelevant in the swamp of programming, yet pushed so hard.
    Like candy being offered to a baby ...

Last edited: Today at 11:38 AM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Yes there is sampling, but WHAT EXACTLY is being sampled?
    There is no emulation?

Only the purest essence of the circuits' ghosts envelope your tracks in ethereal mojo for all time.
    :disco:

15. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

I do wonder about the actual workings behind Alex' console programs, as I find them pretty magical but at the same time unable to pinpoint the exact workings.

I imagine the same effect applies when sitting behind an actual API Vision desk, listening and realizing everything sounds better than without it.

Is it just EQ and harmonic distortion?

16. Lokster

Lokster Ultrasonic

SSL 9K is definitely good. I have all of his consoles Out of all of them I think my favourite one is still the Modern Flagship Console GE

17. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

This is a little like reading Xbox fanboys trying to argue why their console is the best thing ever:rofl:

"Microsoft's RROD is an angelic design choice to provide you with that glowing halo feeling from the internally charged diodes to help garner your internal fire to unleash your fury on the World"

18. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Vectorial Volterra Kernels Technology.

19. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

Yes, and from a wiki: "The Volterra series is a model for non-linear behavior similar to the Taylor series. It differs from the Taylor series in its ability to capture "memory" effects. The Taylor series can be used for approximating the response of a nonlinear system to a given input if the output of the system depends strictly on the input at that particular time. In the Volterra series, the output of the nonlinear system depends on the input to the system at all other times. This provides the ability to capture the "memory" effect of devices like capacitors and inductors."

So what does that mean in terms of audio manipulation? Surely it's EQ and harmonic distortion, but what else?

20. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

How about NAM? I can tell the difference between a modelled tube amp and a modelled solid state amp. No offence, but you sound like a luddite :)

21. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

A little bit of voodoo :crazy: