AlexB notes on Nebula programs

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by virusg, Oct 31, 2020.

1. virusg

virusg Rock Star

so I went to visit his wepage and on some compressors i read this:

...I own some Acustica Audio compressors and stuff but i dont find them behaving as their vst cousins, in most situations I prefer unsing vst's ...other than preamps i would say AA and nebula are pretty useless but maybe it depends on what music you make

3. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

Ever heard the name Tim Petherick? He definitely cracked the Nebula compression code. Check out his Sum 100A (Summit TLA 100a), L-Bus (SSL G) and of course his Shape Modifier is insane.

Furthermore the Aquamarine (Shadow Hills) acqua is very good.

And from AlexB himself I actually find his Fenix comps very useful.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. SlayermanGR

SlayermanGR Ultrasonic

AlexB was never too famous for his compressors (in fact I haven't heard anyone using them all these years, unlike e.g. his consoles which are highly praised), but if TimPetherick read what you wrote he would certainly be amused! :mad:
    Have you tried TimP's Opto32, U76, L-BUS? These things are absolutely wonderful!
    Acustica also offers great compressors in Acquas (too many of them, and most of them sound great!).

In general, there are too many compressor options in the AA world and taking such a generic statement like AlexB's into such high consideration will make you miss some of the beautiful stuff AA has to offer, regardless of what music you make imho.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Hooman.Leys

Hooman.Leys Platinum Record

I absolutely love the Alexb EXcomp (Elysia XPressor)
    I'm really curios about new Metal Knob comp, looking forward for it,

But TimP stuff are crazy,
    He's new L-Bus is on the way and he did a great job on the compressor release,
    Looking forward for it too,

6. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

Thats old news ... their tech is much better these days ,and i actually prefer nebula compressors over vsts. Cupwise FX and Tim p. been killing it for the last few years... AA are in the game now :wink: i use hardware everyday too. but to each his own. if it sounds good it sounds good :like:their is no best of anything. let your ears be the judge :winker:

7. usernone

usernone Producer

OP, this couldn't be further from the truth nowadays.

I use mainly AA for everything. Tim P, Tim, C and Alex B are absolute legends. Because of their libraries, I don't use many conventional VST's anymore. Many Aqua's are doing a fine job with compression as well. :wink:

8. virusg

virusg Rock Star

thank you guys for your input and suggestions, I guess AlexB should update his site on this matter as that statement could slowdown sales, regarfing vst's I use alot of SKnoteaudio stuff, I think I got all of them and are wonderful coded pieces of software

9. 6ixcore

6ixcore Producer

You're right about old AlexB compressors they're good for 1-2dbs reduction max. but try out the new N09 (Neve 33609) and MFD GE (AMS 88RS channel compressor) with these 2 you can get insane levels of compression while maintaining the feeling of the original. These were just released and open a new chapter for AlexB comps, regarding eq's AlexB stuff is amazing.

10. returnal

returnal Rock Star

I’m thinking of checking out one of these new GE comp libs from AlexB - anybody have a recommendation from the four (MFD GE, TC1 GE, VML GE, N09 GE) which really shines at showing off how far AlexB has come with this dynamics libraries . . . or which is unique enough to justify purchasing when I already own almost all of the TimP and TimC comps?