Alcatraz Give me Luv

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Jack On, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Jack On

Jack On Noisemaker

Hi, does any body know with which synth or tools are the main chords (starting at 1:15 )are made.

Thank you very much

3. hankarlo

hankarlo Ultrasonic

Hi, its possibly sampled from = Landlord : I like it
    Then pitched down.
    Or you could try this plug-in = Rave Generator 2 VST

I think the plug-in has a similar type sampled rave piano!

4. LouderAtNight

LouderAtNight Noisemaker

such a classic, isn't that a stab sound, You can find something similar in many sample cds or just youtube how to make 90s stabs

5. Jack On

Jack On Noisemaker

Thanx for the reply , i'll give that a try

6. hankarlo

hankarlo Ultrasonic

No worries. Its a really cool sound that was used on countless records from the late 80's to early 90's onwards. I absolutely love the original Landlord sound!

7. Gwydion

Gwydion Kapellmeister

hell yeah,that is one great tune

8. hankarlo

hankarlo Ultrasonic

I checked the Rave Gen 2 vsti, it definitely has the Landlord : i like it, oldschool rave piano rompler. You could try resampling with a lower bit rate, then mess about with the pitch. you should definitely be able to get something similar sounding to the "give me luv " synth, using that as the basis. Good luck with it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  9. Gwydion

Gwydion Kapellmeister

I found that sound in Vengeance Avengers factory library. It's called Old Stab 2 (chords). Matches nearly 100%.:)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. dondada

dondada Rock Star

its just som sh1 stab
    or a sampled piano chord stab

11. NBG

NBG Newbie

Sorry guys, but this chord/stabs has NOTHING TO DO with the landlord stab. It's not even similar!

The stab has been sampled from here:

12. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Some of those stab sounds originated with Nitro Deluxe's "Let's get Brutal" which was sample by no other than Kevin Saunder in Inner City's "Good Life" and "Big Fun."

The internet is full of discussions about these chords/stabs. Just Google "synth stabs" for any of the 3 songs I listed and you will find examples, patches, tutorials. Almost every VST synth geared to electronic dance music has a factory preset that is close to it or third party developers have offered. Also you can get close with Massive, FM 8, and Roland's Cloud emulation vst. With that said, if you want "100% exact" sound just sample it. Aldo Marin and company used hardware synths in all those records. I remember he had a Casio (consumer) keyboard they used a lot. One technique that everyone used was to play a chord or key on the hardware synth, sample it, and pitch shift it. Sometimes those stabs came from bass presets using the chord memory those synths had. Someo other times, piano presets as the famous Korg M1's piano preset were also sampled and pitched shifted. You can get these house chords/stabs from Jx3p, Jx8p, Alpha Uno, D-50, DX7,DX100, TX81Z. And the mentioned Korg M1.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. recycle

recycle Guest

I did not know this one! (the Big Fun sample is at the last second).

It's always enlightening to hear the original samples of our favorite songs.
    Thanks Pirate

Here is another track ending that instead wrote the history of hip hop (min 3:37):

14. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Here is the sample

Attached Files:

15. joem

joem Producer

16. NBG

NBG Newbie

Did you listen to the Alcatraz-tune in the first post? There is no Nitro Deluxe sample in it.

I really don't understand why nobody here listen carefully and just recommend Landlord, Nitro Deluxe, Rave Generator or M1 Organ Piano :rofl:

17. recycle

recycle Guest

That specific Alcatraz minor chord could come from any piano: it could be sampled from a published song, or played on 3 notes low octave from any vst piano (or even acoustic piano) and then sampled. I can't recognize the chord in the the video you suggest: would you please tell me the min/sec of the sample?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2021
  18. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Save your laughs for you bro. Go ahead and stand in front of a mirror and mock yourself. You took what I wrote out of context. Moreover, you can't even comprehend what I wrote. WHO said that Alcatraz sampled Nitro Deluxe? You said it. Again, what I said was those stab sounds originated WITH Nitro Deluxe's. I NEVER said that they originated FROM nitro. IF I wanted to state that Alcatraz sampled it, I would have wrote that, just like i wrote that Kevin Saunderson sampled it. To make sure that you understand what I was conveying, let me explain in kindergarten terms. Aldo Marin with Nitro comes up with the stab. Aldo never reveals how he came up with "that" sound. Other producers want "that" sound including Kevin Saunderson who instead of replaying it sampled it, and hides that fact for a while. Then, @The Pirate explains that almost every VST synth geared to electronic dance music has a factory preset that is close to ''that" sound or it is offered by third parties. @The Pirate also explains how producers were getting "that" sound. How are you gonna come here mocking me and telling me that the M1 House piano or a bass preset was not being sampled, pitched shifted and use as house synth stabs? You dont know what you are talking about. Finally, it is rude as fuck to be mocking members as if we were stupid simply because we could be wrong. Nobody is laughing at you for posting that Maureen's track and claiming that Alcatraz sampled from it as if it is a fact. Why don't you demonstrate to all of us how Alcatraz sampled from M.Maureen. Enlighten us.

:dunno: Please @NBG, please tell us.

Edit: Shiiiit, I just realized that @NBG is a newbie.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  19. NBG

NBG Newbie

Why so much arrogance?

Funny that everybodys doubts that it's from Maureen... aren't you able to just go through the song and find the parts yourself?

Just go to around 6:45 ...just snipping out 3 notes of the "bass" and nearly done:

Attached Files:

20. recycle

recycle Guest

@NBG Actually both songs are in Gmin, but in Alcatraz the sample is a chord, in Maureen instead, the bass line is monophonic.
    What can be misleading is that in Maureen's bass line there is a lot of delay, so the previous note overlaps and can seem like a chord
    I isolated both samples for comparison - it doesn't sound exactly the same to me-
    Here's the test:

21. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Don't confuse my sarcasm with arrogance

That is arrogance. You think everyone is wrong and you are right even though you are the one who could be wrong. And I am done with this back and forth shit with you. If you want to help the OP just tell him how Alcatraz did it, and demonstrate it. Let us move on.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021