Alan Wilder's sounddesign/mixing techniques (etc) for Recoil/DM

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by au38wzh, Nov 30, 2017.

1. au38wzh

au38wzh Platinum Record

As the title sais, I'd love to talk about Alan Wilder's sounddesign/mixing techniques (etc) for Recoil, Depeche Mode and others.

To me, Alan Wilder has a signature sound (if this is correct to say).
    Mostly the string parts became prominent to me or the bass.

For now I would like to know more about the drums. Especially how to do this 'delayed?/flanged?' fx on the snares. As an example I put Alan Wilder's remix for the 'Talk Talk' track 'Inheritance' down. Btw: Anyone knows if Alan used live drumming or a sample pack? Should have asked him myself when I had the chance at his 'A Strange Hour in Budapest' Film&Talk event, but I have fainted (almost ;-). I think he first used this technique on 'Songs of Faith and Devotion - the best DM record, which I almost didnt buy when I heard it the fist time in the record store - yes! there were stores to buy music ;-)' (he teached himself drumming for the record and played the drums live on THE BEST DM TOUR EVER! Beside the very sad sideeffects :-( I think it's the track 'Rush' in the middle part (starts at 1:55), where you also can hear this kind of drum-fx-mixing I want to reach. Maybe it's an easy thing..but as Alan Wilder is (was?) a perfectionist I don't think so - He's the Boss! Hope to hear something from him soon again!

Pleas join in if you like and maybe Recoil himself will give us an insight ;-)

3. Pupi

Pupi Noisemaker

I hope too...