Alan walker wrote Fade in just 2 years of learning?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by samsome, May 29, 2020.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

Alan walker wrote Fade in just 2 years of learning?

But the thing is...he also had to learn a DAW....how synths work etc......

I won't ask how is this possible......but.......i'm just in awe.

Wikipedia

In 2012, Walker was listening to a song by Italian DJ David Whistle (also known as DJ Ness) and reached out to him to find out how he produced his music. He was inspired by EDM producers K-391 and Ahrix, and by film composers like Hans Zimmer and Steve Jablonsky.[8] He started producing his music on his laptop using FL Studio. In July 2012, with the help and feedback from his fans online, he began pursuing his music production career and slowly began posting his music to YouTube and SoundCloud. Started as a bedroom producer, he was better known as DJ Walkzz before signing a record deal and releasing his debut single in 2014.

Walker released the track "Fade" on 17 August 2014

3. News Flash! In 1963 John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr recorded their first album in one day. It reached number 1 around the world. In less than a decade they would sell 1.6 billion singles in the US alone. Those singles would spend a total of 1,278 weeks on the Billboard chart. Their music was an integral part of social change on a global scale. They were self taught. They didn't use a DAW. They are still more famous than Alan Walker.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. The Mazeman

The Mazeman Kapellmeister

Again, this should also be moved to the "humour" section.

5. indianwebking

indianwebking Platinum Record

he has a ghost producer. now he says he use logic but if you see his video where he don't know a thing you would get the idea and also zenworld trolled him already

6. For somebody in awe of what you call Alan Walkers "Fade" one would think you would know the song is called "Faded"

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. garfinkle

garfinkle Platinum Record

I had a music teacher who was a relatively famous conductor in this part of the world who told me categorically that it was impossible for Paul McCartney to have written Michelle, as only a trained composer could have the skills to write such a piece.

He was an idiot.

But yeah, kids these days...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Even the less musically skilled Lennon wrote "If I Fell" in the very early days. Listen to the chord progressions in the intro and just marvel at how they work. Equally astonishing are the harmonies throughout this song. These guys had no training and went from a covers band to two of the greatest composers of the 20th century in a matter of months. They had next to no original material when they met George Martin. Forget Alan Walkers 2 years.

9. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

To be fair, even though I don't dispute John and Paul as genius writers (and George had his moments as well) the mentoring of George Martin as a producer/arranger and Geoff Emerick as a technician who could interpret their abstract ideas as actual sounds can't be underestimated. Paul can say "strings might be nice on this" all day long but Mr. Martin made it happen. And when John came up with crap like "I want to sound like I'm singing on the top of a mountain in Tibet" Mr. Emerick figured it out.

10. Meteo Xavier

Meteo Xavier Ultrasonic

It's not impossible to become a star musician or write a hit single starting from nothing to WOW in 2 years time. It's not likely, but some people really do have the aptitude and natural talent to pull something like that off in a short amount of time.

11. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

There is difference between "no formal" training and "no training". Most musicians throughout history learned to play by ear. It's not like knowing music theory helps you in technical playing of instrument at all. Intuitively knowing what works in a composition was their talent.
    "Greatest composers" - I doubt this. They are most likely getting forgotten as just pop musicians when the generation that idolized them dies. Their music was more complex and innovative only compared to other pop music, coming from the West at the time (which is not a big accomplishment since mass culture was already getting dumber in their own time).

12. iDjay

iDjay Member

To be honest, the song isn‘t complicated. It‘s made with factory presets from Sylenth, Nexus etc. I think all of us can throw some presets and samples together. All you really need is some good music theory knowledge and a good mixing/ mastering engineer. Making good music is not that difficult these days.

13. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

It is so easy to skip over the most important part over and over.

Having perfect pitch is irrelevant, being good at technology is irrelevant, nothing matters outside of a basic baseline ability be interesting to others to the point that their interest might be convertible into funds.

If you already have a following it is a proof of concept that you are interesting and there is no better tool to fame and success in music. Your musical instrument might be a HD bucket that you play with random sticks you find on the ground, but if you get a large enough following of fans and have the will, your chances of forcing your own discovery rise exponentially.

14. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Alan Walker has a co/ghost producer/writer. It's cringe to watch the Alan Walker "in the studio". He's obviousy clueless most of the time. One can still have a sense of melody, but production-wise he's not the sharpest tool in the elevator.

Edit: Funny thing is that I've been making songs/tracks from leads from Alan Walker's label. They didn't get picked up by him or the label, but by someone else.
    So yeah - he doesn't even create/write his own songs/melodies/tracks. :dont:

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. Please enlighten me with greater composers of the 20th century since you doubt the accomplishments of Lennon/McCartney. Do you really think great music dies? It is forgotten? Why then do we remember Bach, Mozart, Beethoven? Your premise is flawed and defies everything about how great music is remembered.

16. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Bach is known as the last master of a forgotten polyphonic techniques (which were already very unfashionable in his own time). All of his sons and grandsons were way more famous composers in their own time. It's the critics that made the old JS Bach what it is today.

Mozart - child prodigy, master of court galant style; he started to create more mature compositions, but died too early (adding to his image - see Avicii for modern example of posthumous explosion of popularity). Famous (same is valid for Beethoven) because of romantic critics like ETA Hoffmann (he was also famous gothic/fantasy writer and composer on his own, too) (who changed one of his names to "Amadeus", that's how big of a fan he was).

Beethoven was innovator (unlike the two others) and was quite experimental for his own time with his harmony and form.

Still, noone of these has anything to do with pop music (aside from their accidental "pop" music, which is quite bad - check for example Beethoven's arrangements of some English folk songs). Of course, back in the day there were plenty of "pop" singers and commercial musicians, working in bands and the musical theatre . Noone knows them today, because nothing remains of their work...

17. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Do most people now remember Cole Porter? Does that fact reflect upon him, or us? Is he suddenly somehow a lesser talent as a result?