AKG Vienna being shut down by Harmann?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by tzzsmk, Sep 29, 2016.

1. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  3. As well as China. It is not AKG but rather Harmon Kardon the "parent company" that has made the decision.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2016
  4. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

This is seriously fucked up.

5. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

And in Slovakia

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  6. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Hungary and Slovakia,still 100 times better than China imo.
    These two countries are still in the heart of Europe.
    Though this is definitely an end of an era.

7. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

And Poland

8. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

A: Any chance you can prove your first statement?

B: Second argument: So thats the prove - finally :like:

C: What the heck do you know about that?

Amazing how much ignorance and selfmade facts you can read in here!!!!! Go Facebook Von_Steyr!!!

9. mrfloyd

mrfloyd Producer

bad move for the brand

10. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I`m talking about the more skilled work force and better quality check.
    Phloopy,dont be a fool,fool.

11. burgvogt

burgvogt Kapellmeister

One more traditional Austrian hightech company sold out and closed down. What a shame. AKG R.I.P.
    :grooves::crazy:

12. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

I guess that statement speaks for itself!

13. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

I liked AKG Headphones very much in the past. But in the last years, quality went south.

My $200 AKG K701 were broken after 1,5 years. These were, if I remember right, made in China. Problems with contact of inside soldering (not user serviceable). {Yep. Made in China printed on the box}.
    Additionally I've got K702 with detachable cord. Made in China as well. Hope they last longer.
    It's an illusion, that you can export quality of craftsmanship to anywhere. Some companies got it, some not.
    I won't buy an AKG headphone again, that's for sure.

But that is not as threatening as, for instance, that a lot of chemical compounds are brewed in India, rendering our medication unusable and polluting indian environment. Companies of the first world should carry unlimited liability for any damages.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

What ??? Moronic and disturbing decision. There are only a handful of names so iconic as AKG. The company has been a "synonym" to pro audio for so many decades. Atm i have a pair of C-414, a pair C-451, a SolidTube,4-5 closed headphone sets and more. Nothing ever broke, wtf i have my 414s for 25 years now. I just hope whoever takes on AKG's patents will do a good job continuing the series, tradition and innovation.
    Really bad news
    EDIT: No AKG in my possesion is made in China, whatever this may mean.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Yeah. It's all about greed.

16. Infidel

Infidel Producer

I have had the same AKG 240M (open ear) headphones since 1991. Fixed once because the cord was pulled too many times and solder broke. EASY fix.I also found some color stickers, that fit over the logo on the ear, in a MIX magazine ad in about 1993 to make them unique.
    I bought another AKG headphone last year the K553 Pro Studio Headphones (closed ear), that say "designed in Austria". They sound pretty good but I think Senheiser are better after having them for a year.
    I guess this means all AKG mics made before the move will be going up in value.

17. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Come to the USA!!!!

18. bitbrain2101

bitbrain2101 Noisemaker

You can see what happens when Harman buys other companies if you look at the story of Studer/Revox Switzerland

19. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I'm so against merging. It only focuses the capital onto the hands of less and usually more greedy people, and the quality of the goods usually suffers. Harman bad. :sad: They've also got Lexicon and SSL. Fuck corporations! :mad: The most insidious of the modern evils. :sad:

I've had my K240DF headphones for 17 years. They look and work like new. All my clients have some of AKG's K240, K701, K270, C414, C214, C480B, D112, SE300... legendary firm that's been making top-notch products since 1949 [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AKG_Acoustics] Now going to shambles because some arsehole needs a bigger yacht. :sad:

edit: interesting, Harman got bought by Samsung in 2016!? [source: wikipedia] So AKG, Lexicon, JBL, SoundCraft, Allen&Heath etc are owned by Samsung now. Weird. :wow:

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Samsung, they'll bring the AKG Headphones into the S10 edge. A bit klunky, but ...

Samsung sometimes is buying small companies just to get the patents in their hands.

The same Kraken as Autodesk in the world of 3D. Buying companies just to lay off employees, stop development and strip off patents.
    Where are the anti-trust and cartel trials of the past?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  21. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Aaaahhh, so now we should be expecting the next Galaxy phablet with Akg earplugs and mic for top notch communication... And i was wondering what is missing from the smartphones market...
    Really now, they should be ashamed for shutting down AKG. As mentioned Harman/Kardon corp already drove Studer/Revox to extinction. And i mean, as subjective as it may be, they had the best sounding open reel machine(s) (multichannel and stereo) ever built. Why would they hesitate on AKG.
    I do remember when Creative got E-mu. Then they acquired Ensoniq and merged the two. They released 2 products and they dissolved both companies to focus on ... yeah !! Soundblasters and mobile mp3 players that never worked properly. Oh yeah they released some soundcards under the Emu logo, which are essentially Soundblasters with more physical in/outs. So much for the two pioneering synth/sampler companies.
    I admit this kind of policies make me sick to the bone and wanna throw a punch or two to the a$$holes who think with their pockets. Wth , i 'm either getting too old or this world is quickly becoming a shithole from which there's no escape lol.
    Be well guys :)