akai to kontakt tips

Discussion in 'Software' started by Herr Durr, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

Have tried CDXtract and also ESC on an akai disk.

They both only seem to allow conversion of one partition at a time. I think this can't be
    correct since I end up with an nki that only assigns samples to a small portion of midi notes.
    14 white keys and the black keys.

So how do you convert multiple partitions for, say a piano disk, so that you get the full
    instrument?

3. Clandestine

Clandestine Platinum Record

Which Library/Disc is it? Are u on PC or Mac.

Kontakt can read Akai directly so u not always need to convert allthough u can. Use Chicken translator and some other programs but can take a bit of time.

Have used Akai stuff in the past say direct from CD in drive or u can save the iso to hard drive & mount on a virtual drive.

U don't always have to convert though couldn't tell u 100%.

In case of Piano for instance in theory I reckon u just read direct from disc or iso, say load up the required partitions and set each loaded partition to play on midi channel 1? Bit like a multi. Might work allthough there will be other ways around it I guess.

4. Mr_Amine

Mr_Amine Rock Star

have you tried xlutop chainer

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@Clandestine
    was on PC yeah... reading from iso... I tried loading it multi but just layered them over the same keys,
    or I dunno how to kontakt. I tried chicken too but it was totally non intuitive for me, and didn't see any good tuts online
    if you think it would work better, I'm all ears how to do it

@Mr. Amine thanks will hunt that one down too

6. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

+ for chickensys translator :)

7. Clandestine

Well again in theory all u need to do to save u converting for which chickensys should work.

U say each partition has 14 white & the black keys?

Am assuming each partition covers a different part of the range but quickest way would

Say go to Partition A, Hit on Partition, Kontakt will convert & load samples.

Then go to mapping editor and look for your samples. Doesn't matter where they map as u just re-map them.

Therefore after u loaded partition A just move them to where u need or even wherever. Long as u know what they are that's all that matters.

Partition B then contains next part of the range? Tho it not have too.

Load up Partition B, again open the mapping editior and u then got the next part of the range. By default it may map over the top but even if it does it still not matter as again u move them. So repeat the process untill u covered the full range of your Piano 6-7 partitions by rough idea on numbers u gave?

Then once u have the full range mapped u just have to save the samples and your new nki call it whatever u want. Will b WAV by default.

After you have saved and checked it's working fine, Collect samples and Batch compress to NCW to facilitate loading around 40-50% in RAM then just Re-Save library to speed up loading times.

Should work no problems & is a stupid design if it doesn't.

Kontakt will do all the converting for u to save u the hassle but u can and that's up to u. The important thing is to try & work out what each partition holds and re-map the samples after u import them.

8. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

ok this sounds interesting... will try this... I did try to load directly into kontakt too..but got the same result..and
    didn't know if i can just add partitions and map as you mention with conversion... nice procedure... like it !! :like:

@fikmushi.. how did anyone learn to use that chickensh*t anyway? I am not new to finding my way around programs generally, but the interface on it hardly gave me a clue !! :dunno:

also .. I'm not opposed to using any vst sampler that just handles the akai format outright
    better... if anyone knows any options there

9. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

sorry, ditched akai over 10 years ago, more than hinting at chickensys translator is beyond me for now...

10. Clandestine

Try Geist from FXPansion for say drum stuff is great for chopping and slicing loops and reads AKAI i believe.

As for all round as in say Piano stuff U can just use Kontakt

Put simply it is the best sample manipulator all round by a mile imo.

The mapping editor & time-stretch functions great and u can spend ages messing around there. Many simple procedures simply get overlooked or dismissed. The process I highlighted should work no problems.

Kontakt can read loads of Formats like Akai, Gig and loads more natively. U only really find a need to start converting with Chickensys & other programs if it an unsupported format or u trying to convert a huge library that will take ages otherwise as in batch.

That's another story though.

Like u mentioned there still a load of AKAI & GIG discs etc floating about that have some great sample content even though the format not widespread or ditched & can be really useful.

In terms of sample manipulators Motu Mach 5 3 a contender & better in some contexts but still a mile behind Kontakt in just about all other ways.

Kontakt remains & will remain ahead for a long time inho for general use while using smaller other more specific editors such as geist etc always very useful in a specific sense.

Hope it works, should do. If it doesn't send me a link for your NKI etc and will sort it if able.

Edited Post as something I wanted to change and also a couple of important things to consider -

When converting a specific format say for exmple GIG some of the information gets lost in translation.

This is ultra important to consider. GIG was say for GigaSampler so the only thing that gonna read it maybe 100% the way it was intended is Gigasampler.

Have used say prorgrams such As Sounlib G Player in the past but last time I personally tried it was full of bugs & rubbish. However supposedly it has improved since then so can't b judgemental etc.

So it's always really important to also consider the process that was originally used and have a bit of insight wrt the original format.

However the great thing about Kontakt of course that only adds to putting it miles ahead of the others is KSP that will allow you to maybe restore to some degree the missing translational component or utilise the sample content and then take the library in another direction completely.

Whether this is ethical, I can't really comment upon but it's definitely ultra useful and again one of the small details that put's it way ahead of any competitors.

Just thought I should add that as important to consider when making a judgement.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015