AKAI MPC Studio or PreSonus ATOM?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by rage, Oct 23, 2023.

1. rage

rage Kapellmeister

I decided to buy a cheap drum controller to help out my workflow a bit, and Im going back and forth on MPC Studio or ATOM.

I mainly use Studio One, and sometimes Reaper. I have been leaning towards the MPC Studio, but the full integration of the ATOM into Studio One makes me question my decision every time I go to hit 'purchase' on my order.

Anyone have any input that might be helpful? I don't see much about the ATOM, so I don't know if it's trash. And I know AKAI had some issues with the MPD218, but I haven't seen much bad about the MPC Studio. The only thing the ATOM has thats holding me up from ordering is the seamless integration into Studio One (and the price is a little better)

3. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

I think the tricky part of buying a controller these days is that they incorporate more technology within them than the older basic keyboard types that work with everything. You never know when a company will decide not to support it anymore. This has just happened with me last week, I got an email from Native Instruments saying they will no longer support my MK1 61 keyboard. It was expensive so this feels like a kick in the teeth. Who knows how long it will be useful for now? Try and find out which company has the best track record for product support, Presonus or AKAI.

4. rage

rage Kapellmeister

Yo, thats actually a good ass point. With PreSonus being bought by Fender, who knows what the hell is gonna happen with the ATOM. It may stick around, but it also may get dumped for whatever Fender wants to do. Thank you for that thought.

5. jefft

jefft Producer

Hi, Rage. I also use Studio one as my main DAW, I bought the Atom as a secondary controller for drums as I don't like banging the keyboard, and I soon started to dislike it intensely, reason: far too many buttons,and combinations to remember., so I sold it and bought an Akai MPD218, never looked back, I use the pads for drums and the knobs linked to various Vst synths for filters etc. I also have the Presonus faderport V2 to use for record/play/ stop/rewind etc