AKAI Format

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by coil, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Howard Carpendale

Howard Carpendale Platinum Record

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Almost 2 years until I saw your post but nonetheless: Thank you!
    BTW, if anybody knows a CD image mounter for MacOS that will mount foreign raw CD image formats then pleeeeease tell me which. Thanks!

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

How To Mount or Read Akai Sample CD-ROM On A MAC Explained

Hello, I have not been here in awhile but I am back at the MPC2K V.1 bangin' it out. My hard drive crashed with all my samples I have compiled over the years. Even the ones I purchase here. So I have to start over.

Problem:
    In order to rebuild my sample library I dusted off a few old AKAI Sample CDs that I received as freebies. Great! But there's one problem. The CD-ROMs are in AKAI proprietary format. Oh yeah and I don't have CD drive for my MPC2000. I usually just drop the samples and programs on to a zip drive or floppy disk from my MAC/PC then transfer them to MPC that way.
    Well after a few hours of searching the internet I found several high priced solutions. Many consisted of high priced software or dead or defunct software only meant for PCs.

CDXTRACT for Windows, Mac OS9 and Mac OSX
    http://www.cdxtract.com/home.php
    Translator™ Akai Edition for Mac & PC
    http://www.chickensys.com/products/translator/translator_edition_akai.php
    AkaiDisk Reader S-Series Sampler Windows 3.1, 95, ME and XP NOT on NT Systems
    http://mda.smartelectronix.com/akai/

None of those solutions were going to work for me because I buy most of my samples online in packs that are ready to go. Recently, Sample CD-ROMs and DVDs have been appearing on eBay for little or nothing but not an incentive to invest $100 in software that I was only going to use once or maybe twice a year.

Solution:
    1. Insert AKAI CD-ROM into Mac.
    2. You will be prompted that the disc is not recognizable or unreadable. DO NOT EJECT DISK.
    3. Proceed to the Application/Utilities folder then open Disk Utility a free program offered in many MAC OSX versions.
    4. Once disk is inserted you should the CD icon appearing just under your DVD drive volume, on the left side of the window in the volume list.
    5.Click on the icon to highlight the item, it may named "disk1s0".
    6. Find and click on the "New Image" selection at the very top of Disk Utility.
    7. You will be then given a new window that will require you to name the image you are about to create, so name it.
    8. Choose the destination of the image. You may want to choose the desktop.
    9. Under "Image Format" select DVD/CD master
    10. Leave the Encryption set to NONE.
    11. Now click on SAVE.
    12. After several minutes depending on the size of the DVD/CD your new image will appear.
    13. If you saved your new image to the desktop. Double click the image and it should mount successfully.
    14. Open the enclosed folder and you should now be able to read and copy all the MPC wav., snd., programs and etc., to any media or device for transfer to your MPC.

Source: https://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=136297

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

@BEAT16 Wow. Huge thanks, I'll try that!!!

5. Howard Carpendale

Howard Carpendale Platinum Record

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

simply put, there is no reason to do so, the finder can not do anything with a foreign fileformat.

there once a was a utiliyt from bitheadz (?) on mac classic, which did not really work well. but when it succeeded opening one, you could actually play the content as wav files using board tools such as "CD Player".

later software samplers and tools like CDXtract could read right from the image file, without the need to mount them.

7. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

btw. I just rated the posters post "funny" because he's trying to mount Spectrasonics installer. You can't do that. You have to install them. :wink:

However, what I said about mounting Akai [E-MU and Roland] images, Alcohol Portable is the least intrusive and the only solution I have found. It just mounts everything. if you want to use Alcohol 100% or Alcohol 120% it should work, too.

CHEEERS! :rofl:

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

Translator would be such a great program. If it worked.

9. Citrik Acid

Citrik Acid Platinum Record

Hello, since it's an Akaï fomrat related topic, I'm seraching to read my S2000 and S3000XL floppy's on my pc, I can read my Yamaha's floppy's from an A3000 and an TX16W, I can open read write etc. But for my pc don't recognize Akaï format maybe someone here have an idea to how to ?

10. lukehh

lukehh Audiosexual

Go to sister site and search for "CDXtract v4.5"

For reading Akai Floppy disks read here:
    http://akai-s900.blogspot.com/2008/01/how-to-transfer-floppies-to-pc.html
    and here:
    http://akai-s900.blogspot.com/2008/02/how-to-load-samples-from-akai-s900-to.html

for the tool go here:
    www.shlock.co.uk/Utils/OmniFlop/OmniFlop.htm

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  11. clone

clone Audiosexual

many of these files can be ripped from bin/cue directly to wav with binchunker util in Mac terminal, syntax bchunk -w

js

12. Citrik Acid

Citrik Acid Platinum Record