Airwindows DeEss3: Secret Weapon Goes Public

Discussion in 'Software News' started by theDingus, Jan 15, 2015.

1. theDingus

theDingus Audiosexual

[​IMG]

DeEss3 is the latest DeEss: returning to the unrivalled sound of the first classic Airwindows DeEss,
    but with 80-bit internal math and a new Sense Monitoring switch, by request! This is the ultimate
    De-Esser, now with new ease of use and deeper tone.

This plugin’s made a lot of interesting friends… very competitive, significant friends who seized onto
    the original DeEss as a secret weapon. It seems that if you really knew what you were doing with the
    filters and such, you could get the thing to tame sibilance with incredibly little damage to the audio.
    It took expertise, because there was no metering or monitoring then: you had to be able to hear
    supersonics and you needed the experience to know what you were aiming for.

The second version tried to simplify the effect and make it more approachable, more a one-size-fits-all
    effect. This fizzled. Less experienced people weren’t reassured, and the power users weren’t excited about
    losing functionality, even sticking with the old version (which was updated to 64-bit to ensure everyone
    could keep it working if they wanted to).

Live and learn! DeEss3 is EXACTLY the first DeEss, right down to some of the quirky behaviors that gave
    it its tone, but with an 80-bit buss and noise shaping to the 32-bit output word. It actually is better
    than the first DeEss, in the only way it can be: more accurately reflecting that first algorithm, at
    higher fidelity. And it’s got a new control that makes it WAY easier for both pros and newbies: use
    the sense monitor control to adjust your settings, so you can hear exactly what it’s taking out, against
    a backdrop of impressive silence. That by itself is a powerful argument for just how good DeEss3 is:
    you can hear how little it touches the rest of the audio.

This video will show you how to work DeEss, so this secret-weapon plugin can finally be less of a mystery.
    Normal people can use it effectively now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i94tjUNy-eQ

DeEss3 Demo (129.92 kB)

Retail Version of DeEss3 is $50 USD

More INFO: AirWindows | DeEss3

3. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Another secret weapon...
    I still haven't found a more natural and better deesser plugin than Pro-DS from Fabfilter.
    Mac users, let me know if you can compare both of these and i'll appreciate your opinion.
    Thank you!

4. davea

davea Platinum Record

PRO-DS is way better. With a lots more controls and goodies than the DEeEss3. Enveloppe, Lookahead, SChain, Oversampling available exceptional sounding with a fantastic gui and analyzer and so one, as always with FF.
    These product doesn't fit in the same court, for sure.

5. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

Just overpriced and not that good, lazy production without wallpaper :rofl:

6. copylefter

copylefter Producer

I call it smart product, without the bullshit. And I can bet my balls you didn't tried before saying that. *no*
    Airwindows makes some great plug, most people say it's shit without even trying just cause he makes plugs with AU standard gui.
    That only forces you to judge with your ears and not with eyes like most Waves crap, that I admit looks cool.
    I think Chris is even happy to attract no interest from people who judge only from GUI. *yes*
    He have his fanbase, and not so niche. :wink:

Can't talk about this, surely Pro-DS is more feature rich and can be better, but be sure to try some of them before judging,
    especially if you're into obsessive research of analog emulation. *yes*
    He use some innovative concepts in analog emulation.

7. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

I tested all their products (as always) and comparing to existent products they are in B team.
    Really I can find any of their plugins one of the best choices on the market. And I do not have problems with GUI because I use my ears. It was a joke.
    Obviosly mosst "musicians"care a lot about GUIs because a lot is posted in audioz. I had almost 400 custom made kontakt wallpapers and all is in thrash, only protected libs wallpapers are on :wink:
    For shure many people only can talk about ugly GUIs, in my time I started no GUIs exist... :wow:

8. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Hi Copylefter,

Regarding placebo effect from Waves's GUIs, you're right. But i think that Airwindows produces some kind of placebo as well, not through the visuals, but actually through their words, if you know what i mean. Calling it "The Ultimate Deesser / Secret Weapon, 80 bit (as a relative feature, because it doesn't brings anything special). Where's the accurate description of what you're supposed to pay for? Last time when i demo-ed Essence from DMG Audio which was praised to be a secret weapon as well, i was really surprised from such a great company as DMG to claim something being the "the world most powerful desser" when it's actually weaker than Pro-DS. Of corse, Pro-DS is more expensive, but their product description is more humble and realistic as well.

I have nothing against Airwindows, but even their video demonstration wasn't that good either, testing the plugin on a live vocal coming from a headphones microphone. I know we can test it ourselves through the demo, but what's the point of the video anyway? :dunno:
    What i do actually like, is the bang for the buck. 50$ is really a resonable price.

9. copylefter

copylefter Producer

You're right too Evo.
    A thing I just can't stand is how Chris talk about his stuff, like everything is the new shit.
    That is also true for some concepts he use, but I prefer devs that let users say those things, with less auto-celebration.
    50$ is not much, but he have 166 plugs in catalog :wow: :rofl:
    Consider though that a good 30 or 40 are freeware and many are old versions, but the catalog is huge anyway.

ToBuss, ToTape and Console just to name a few are really good at what they do, not the intrusive wannabe emulation that most console/tape emus bring.
    But, put one of these on every track (really low cpu also), and you hear the result :wink:

PS: Sorry ovalf, didn't meant to be offensive or whatever, but as you say sadly many people judge from GUI and little else :mates: :wink:

10. davea

davea Platinum Record

To talk about GUI, the thing, I mean, is when you are in mix session, you need tools which gives you enough visual infos, really. Because today with
    the "new tools" as Multiband Comp, EQ, Saturator, Exciter, and so one, you need just some 'lil info of what the plugins is doing
    in addition of visual infos of the Meters, spectrum analyzer, phase correlator from your master, and/or Busses… as an example.

Yes Airwindows plugs are great, no prob for that. I've owned many of them and they have some really cool sounds and ideas. Chris is an amazing programmer for sure ( a bit scary in his video, but anyway ;-).
    But to be precise, chirurgical, I'm sorry, for many of his plugs it's not the case. And I'm pretty sure this is not the main goal for Chris in a way. He's making most of his plug as creative plugs, as Console, Shotbuss ect… to name few. if I can say.

And when you need something really precise you need to go with tools like FF, or DMG, Flux etc…, which got the ability to be chirurgical and does the job !
    So this DeEss3 is maybe good . I haven't tried it yet, to be honest ( I've watch the video). But I can see on the gui the lake of goodies/option ( really important for me) and that's enough for me.
    Because when you got a tools giving you precise/chirurgical way to work on an audio file, you can do a great work without denaturing too much ( sometimes at all) the sound. And for me this is the first important thing for a digital tool like this. This deeser is not coloring, nor giving some warm or else, it is here to clean, put out the freQ is hurting you based on special algo more focusses on sibilant and more ( logicaly)...

Anyway, I will try it and will come back with feedback.

Cheers