Airwindows Console 8 Workflow

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Riddim Machine, Aug 19, 2022.

1. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

I'm a big fan of the results im getting with Console8 from Airwindows, and i know things can get messy because those plugins doesnt have a manual and chris is good with plugins and really bad explaining. So this is basically how im routing my things:

Console8ChannelIn:
    First in the chain of things that are going to a submix

Console8ChannelOut: Last in the of things that are going to a submix

Console8SubIn:
    First in the submix (busses) chain; First at input signals that go straight to the stereo buss, auxes, parallels, fx, etc (if your sending a parallel signal to a submix you should use Console8ChannelIn, and then Console8SubIn at that buss or send)

Console8SubOut:
    Last one in the chain of those mentioned above

Console8BussIn:
    First one at the Stereo Buss.

Console8BussOut:
    Last one at the Stereo Buss (It applies soft clipping at -0.4 TP i guess) and some weird dithering. It completes the chain, making the sound fuller, but is not recommended if you're sending your work for someone to master, because the dithering can get weird.

I did those notes to myself, and i hope it can be useful to someone struggling to route things up or finding it difficult to fit in the workflow.

3. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Thank you, very nice summary. Should probably note that you're not supposed to use your DAW's faders - at all, or the system kinda crumbles. Also, if I remember correctly, newer Airwindows plugins aren't well behaved below 96kHz and above 384kHz.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

They hit their stride at 96 but pull a groin at 384. :guru:

5. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

I think the ultrasonic filtering is disabled when you're below 96khz, but the plugin works well with the summing of the channels. And every output of the Channel, Submix and Buss have a knob to calibrate the Console, so it's ideal to not use the faders, but you can also make the faders move smoother just by gain staging it correclty like an oldschool guy. Not really THAT hard, but i understand people that feel afraid and confused because it lacks an strong info and manual and you don't wanna mess up with your work. But you can give it a try at a lower sample rate and calibrating the output