AI midi tools - who's doing it best?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Matt Pook, Jan 24, 2024.

1. Matt Pook

Matt Pook Newbie

I'm regularly seeing ads for AI tools that generate midi based on parameters. Anyone used any? Are they any good?
    Half of me thinks it could speed up the creative process, the other half of me thinks they're just trying to exploit people who don't want to learn.
    I can see how they could spark an idea...but which one is worth trying?

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

AIVA is very powerful, although a bit pricy. Worth it if you will use it. There is a free version of three or so per month.

Toool is an iOS app that is extremely intuitive, Fast, easy to use, and excellent results. You can export stems and midi very quickly. Full customizable or just roll with what it gives you. Affordable subscription at 3.99 a month or so

Songen is another iOS app thats similar to Toool, more genres, but not as good as toool. Still fun and can achieve some good results. 9.99 per month

Re:midi by songwish is not so much AI, as it is a midi sampler. So you can load up a midi, and chop it up and replay it like a traditional sampler. Really cool, comes loaded with tons of copyright free classical, gospel, etc songs.

The "feel your sound" plugins are well worth looking into. excellent results, usually pretty intuitive, affordable, fun to use, nice and passionate dev worth supporting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. justsomerandomdude

justsomerandomdude Rock Star

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Get a really long Midi cable.
    Start recording MIDI on your DAW of choice.

Handful of marbles + a few ping-pong balls.
    Throw them all down the basement stairs.

Or just get a cat
    images.jpg

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

Toontrack EZKeys 2. The Bandmate feature is AI-like, even if it is not really AI. Bounce a render of the track you are working on to a short loop wav file, and then load that into bandmate. It does key detection pretty well, and then it can start generating midi loops to fit, which you can drag out of the plugin into other DAW tracks with other virtual instruments loaded on them.

it isn't perfect, but it is surprisingly good.

7. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

how could i forget Scaler 2!! very very powerful. easy to use, extremely deep if needed. Tons of starting points and ways to tweak the midi. affordable. must have

8. DonCaballero

DonCaballero Producer

I haven't tested everything, but AI is the new flashy buzzword used to market all sorts of questionable products with a pretty loose definition of term.

Who's doing it "best" will be up to interpretation, but personally I like this approach :wink::

✅Research published in a peer-reviewed journal and presented at an academic conference [International Society for Music Information Retrieval (ISMIR)].
    ✅Free and open-source.
    ✅Ability to fine-tune the model with your own MIDI.
    ✅Integrates into my DAW of choice and creates/modifies items directly on the timeline using keyboard shortcuts.
    ✅No marketing, hype, or YouTubers shilling affiliate links.

Composer's Assistant: An Interactive Transformer for Multi-Track MIDI Infilling