After a fresh reinstall, what's the best system cloning software for a backup?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Bunford, Sep 10, 2023.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

So I've just had to do yet another fresh reinstall (second within 2 or 3 months). This was largely due to having to do so to troubleshoot some UAD related issue after they advised me to fresh install (which turned out to be absolutely unnecessary!) :rofl:

So, I've just got the point where I've now reinstalled lal of my basic software, DAWs, and plugins and got everything authorised.

I'm now therefore at a point where it'd be good to do a system clone that can be restored. What is the best software for creating something like a backup image to restore the entire system from?

It'd be good if it would be something that could be placed on an external drive, which can then simply be restored after any future fresh Windows install without having to go through all the reinstallations and reauthorisations in future.

Any suggestions?

3. Cardamom

Cardamom Platinum Record

Been using ACRONIS for years. Boot from USB or Blu-Ray Drive (ISO version) and have at 'er. Why it's best? NEVER had a fail. Was even able to use it for transferring a C-drive SSD contents (full image backup) to a new computer, new (type) drive (Nvme) and then upgrade to Windows 11 on new system. No issues getting needed files for the process either. Just a breeze to use. Full backup, then incrementals - all working flawlessly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

What version of Acronis do you use?

Do they provide some kind of bootloader that you can put onto a USB then, to the use to boot and access your backup image? Or do they integrate a bootloader into the image so you can boot from it in some way?

Just wondering what the process is should I ever need to reinstall and restore my initial backup.

5. softice

softice Producer

Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  6. clone

clone Audiosexual

When people use the phrase "system clone", it is usually because they want to clone the drive on which resides their primary OS; and they have encountered prior problems with files which are already in use. If they are launching their backup application from the same OS and drive they intend to copy, they will both be already in use; so you can see why they make the distinction.

7. playtime

playtime Rock Star

I also use Acronis True Image for a long time and it works flawlessly. You can find bootable ISO image for CD or USB with UEFI bootloader without even installing Acronis on your PC.
    Highly recommended!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. playtime

playtime Rock Star

Yes, bootloader is included so no worries. If you install Acronis software on your PC you can access all files from your backup file in case you need it :winker:

9. ElectroCity

ElectroCity Ultrasonic

ashampoo backup pro

10. Blickbard

Blickbard Member

Macrium Reflect Free . Still works , but it is not supported anymore . I am currently testing Paragon free , seems to work fine as well so far

11. DEATHROW

DEATHROW Producer

12. ceo54

ceo54 Kapellmeister

I use
    AOMEI Backupper

same as Acronis, only simpler. Get the program, create a bootable ISO, flash the ISO on USB, boot from USB, from there you can create, append, delete, restore system images.

Supports both Bios CSM/MBR and UEFI/GPT
    Also comes in portable version
    Supports all cloning features like migrating to another system, restoring on a different hardware etc
    Feature rich yet simple
    Highly recommended.

13. shinjiya

shinjiya Producer

I use Macrium Reflect free. I'm shocked because I had no idea they dropped the free version until I saw the comment above.

Guess I'm also looking for a new app.