After 30 Musical Talent Disappears

Discussion in 'Music' started by black.afrika.zulu.x, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Kinghtsurfer

Kinghtsurfer Audiosexual

*double post*

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  2. mr.personality

mr.personality Producer

Not so much that great music isn't being made supposedly past 30. It's that the industry's whole money making machine is based on youth and youth turnover. An artist or band comes into prominence in their youth and once having gained recognition by the public, the potential is to keep going on forever. However, trying get that recognition and notoriety once you get 'old' by industry standards, you have a snowballs chance in hell

3. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

That's a completely different topic (ageism) -- the OP is claiming that musical talent "disappears" after thirty. If anything, I would assume musical talent matures after 30, as you've had more time to hone your craft and you've learned a great deal more about what you're doing. These days, does it really matter if a recording artist is over thirty? I can't speak for rap or pop or even country, but at least for rock, are kids really looking up to these guys? Are they desperately trying to replicate Decemberists guitar licks, or dressing up like Wilco? Being over thirty isn't the problem, the problem is, the culture of music just sucks now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Vader

Vader Platinum Record

Dumbest thing I see here...

5. mr.personality

mr.personality Producer

Oh, I agree. I was thinking more in terms of public perception. In that, since we see artists and bands virtually consisting of mostly young people, the perception is that the spark must gone then once you've gotten older

6. myk

myk Member

Well Put and spot on G String.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. myk

myk Member

Black Bounty also has it spot on right! With age comes a little wisdom...

8. Kinghtsurfer

Kinghtsurfer Audiosexual

Another example... For someone who's 76, this guy seems to be doing pretty well... (Pls dont say he's not doing as well as Drake...:))

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. black.afrika.zulu.x

black.afrika.zulu.x Platinum Record

Britain is a shithole! :)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

yeah Mme. May has been doing a wonderful job..

and in what exalted corner of the piss bucket do you happen to reside?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. hani king

hani king Platinum Record

regarding old fellas in music business....
    rock bands will always find SOMETHING for the fans ,it wont be a major hit to compete with females
    with big boobs twerking like idiots on TV channels,they want the boobs to be a major hits
    but hey there still HOPE for GOOD MUSIC ,and from USA in that case

heres my story :i wasnt a big fan of the famous group A-ha for their music style from 80s and 90s
    i know they are old Norwegian fellas still producing music but i did like ''the sun always shine on TV'' from first album
    ,and thats pretty much it.

but boy oh boy,how things changed for me,last year a friend of mine gave me an A-HA cd to check it out
    ,It was their ''lifeline'' album from 2002,i gave it it a good run while driving my car ,it grew up with every listen
    because its totally different from my usual 80s schlager/dance'/high energy EDM,

sure its synth-pop with Scandinavian flavor but its very very catchy melodies which i enjoyed,so i grabbed their last albums
    album ''Analogue '' was melodic as hell with nostalgic 80s keys, and ''foot of the mountain'' album was ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC
    ,and i thought its over for me being Aha fan with only these 3 albums but no sir,
    THE MUSIC is GETTING BETTER with those OLD FELLAS as they came back with ''cast of steel ''
    sweet to the ears and energetic to the mind,those OLD fella NEVER disappoint

and speaking of rock ,do you guys heard ''JUDAS'' from FOZZY ? take a listen..catchy as hell,and jericho is OLD too my friend

12. Sombra

Sombra Member

Nonsense. You only get better and better in whatever it is you do. When it comes to music, once you reach a certain level of success, you've made a lot of money, and traveled around the world, it's normal not to have the same drive you had when you were young and poor. None of the artists you listed have a reason to be hungry and angry anymore. How can they when they're living great lives now?

13. G String

G String Rock Star

What this thread needs is a load of YouTube videos. Can't get more proof than that.

14. black.afrika.zulu.x

Why do they think YouTube videos are the best form of evidence?

15. There is much to be said of youthful exhuberance and the ability to tap into the very same energy that enables hours long teenage ererctions (for guys) when satisfying the muse, the rambunction of something akin to a frisky older puppy that has boundless frenetic energy and an underlying need to conquer...something. It was fun while it lasted and wouldn't trade that time for the world, but as one gets older, something akin to the ability to savor perhaps kicks in and allows us a more thorough inspection of that which is under the lens of one's creative scope. Past blinding layers of mystery peel away to reveal deeper levels of understanding of ourselves and the mysterious world around us. That is a very handy thing to be able to access if one fancies to be an artist.

16. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

17. black.afrika.zulu.x

Look, there is definitely something to what I'm saying...there are pitches you are unable to hear beyond puberty...and some noise levels that become unpleasant as you age.

Your ears age.

18. G String

G String Rock Star

Because YT videos are the best proof.

Ghandi: "I learned everything I know about passive resistance from YouTube."

Karl Marx: "My concept of surplus profit was derived entirely from YouTube."

Isaac Newton: "I first saw an apple fall on YouTube."

Pablo Picasso: "Without YouTube we'd never have had Cubism"

David Bowie: "I remember watching the moonlandings on YouTube, and grabbed my guitar...."

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. black.afrika.zulu.x

20. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

I think that's been the case since pop music stopped being a strictly "audio" medium (the 1930's?). Record companies noticed that large numbers of young people -- women, in particular -- bought records based at least partly on how the singer looked, their age and, in concordance with the first two, the possibility of being able to date/sleep with/marry. Blame a young Frank Sinatra for that shit.

Only if it includes some sweaty fat guy in his bedroom screaming "facts" at his Web cam, only to be interrupted at the last second by his elderly mother wandering in behind him in a housedress.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List