After 30 Musical Talent Disappears

Discussion in 'Music' started by black.afrika.zulu.x, Sep 14, 2018.

1. G String

G String Rock Star

You could show how it doesn't hold true?

Bohr, Fermi, Heisenberg, Pauli, Schrodinger, Einstein. All young. Then there's Newton, of course. Maxwell (equations at 34). Steven Weinberg. Feynman.

Give us a list of oldies that made significant contributions to theoretical physics? Amongst that list there really isn't much room for others, let alone old folk.

I bet those wheels on your feet don't help. :D

2. DieM

DieM Rock Star

Are you telling me that Einstein was past it after the age of 30?
    You quoted a few names but that proves nothing mate. It's just a list of names. Nothing more nothing less.
    I don't know how old you are but believe me some folk including myself gain more mentally well after that age as their minds become more open. I am more creative now at the age of 50 than I was at age 20.
    Mozart, Beethoven, Johnny Cash, Aerosmith, Einstein, Tesla and many more have done some of their best work over the age of 30. I do understand that some people do their best work at a younger age so I don't disagree with you there but that doesn't hold true across the board.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. scarsstiches

scarsstiches Producer

Micheal League( snarky puppy), Chick Corea, Dave Mustaine, Dave Ghrol.

Do i go on?

4. tooloud

tooloud Guest

Bowie made Blackstar as cancer destroyed his liver at age 69.

• Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. recycle

recycle Guest

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

Thread author - If you are not Foster then you are doing a great impression. :rofl:
    This topic is so ambiguous, that word might not be satisfactory enough to explain how ludicrous a statement the title is, placing anyone creative into an age box is, or will ever be in any discipline.
    I can only assume it is a pisstake. It's like the joke of the Irishman that shot an arrow into the air and he missed.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

I believe we as musicians/writers/Artist alike get better with age \m/ >>> maybe not as graceful at execution lol but we fall in the groove better with more experience and feeling :wink:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. muffball

muffball Kapellmeister

Stravinsky composed one of the most controversial pieces of music of all time just after 30 and continued to change the course of music. Like it or not... it was innovative.
    Beethoven went a little offscript (for him) in his mad 50s and composed the 9th.

In the more "blink and it's gone" modern world where we have no idea what will stand the test of time I see "oldies" doing great things all the time. Disturbed recently-sh had their largest hit ever with an interesting cover of Sounds of Silence. I believe they're all in their 40's. It was certainly innovative for them and would have to be their biggest hit (didn't bother to research any of this but it'll be close enough to true if not on the money). Frank Sinatra didn't even really get going until he was "over the hill". Queen hit their straps in their late 20s (I believe Mercury was 29 when he wrote Bohemian Rhapsody) and their legacy really rolls on from there after they hit their 30s. I'm not necessarily a fan of everything I've listed but they're just influential and popular examples off the top of my head.

It could have something to do with personal taste perhaps... I don't listen to much pop music now because I think it's mostly rubbish right at the minute. That's 100% subjective. It's the domain of the younger musicians for the most part (though it's changing a little) but even then a lot of the actual writers/contributors are well over 30. I do listen to contemporary music of course, just not "pop" so much, and it's a wide spread of ages.

We all slow down physically as we get older and some of our reckless stupidity is replaced with boring sensibility and... marriage, kids etc. That's a practical explanation to explain why passions often get redirected as well as the simple fact that people get bored doing the same thing quite often. But I look at Noam Chomsky giving lectures at, what, 89(?) and I think, barring senility/dementia, there's no reason to believe that our skulls should dull as we march towards the inevitable.

The OP can re-shift the goalposts again if he likes.

• Like Like x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. black.afrika.zulu.x

black.afrika.zulu.x Platinum Record

Kanye West post-30 is just garbage.

While you may improve in skill and mastery of the craft with age, you certainly do run out of that "juice", that "oomf"...you certainly become less inspired...your music becomes less divine and more boringly human.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. We are breaking down but let us somehow build it back up. This is another one that kept on keeping up for his over 30 career.

12. tooloud

tooloud Guest

I can't remember ever agreeing with you before (lol) but to a certain degree you're correct. Creativity is propelled by a desire to succeed. This period often coincides with youth. Late teens to thirty. Assuming you have succeeded, the template for your success has been established and changing it is risky.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. G String

G String Rock Star

Look, I have proof

[​IMG]

14. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

E= deez nuts

15. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Rock Star

Okay, I was going to bow out of this one, but I may have to go with @superliquidsunshine theory, since this reeks of Foster:

Thank you for your continued vigilance in your attempts to expose The Foster, @superliquidsunshine . :bow:
    :rofl:

16. muffball

muffball Kapellmeister

Says who? That may be your opinion but there's no evidence at all to back that up. You could even mix your sentence and say that creativity propels one's desire to succeed and you'd have something that makes as much sense with as much credibility.

If anything, people have postulated that success in creative fields comes from the love of the art.

17. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Dre did his best album (the Chronic 1) as he was almost 30. Almost 35 for his most selling album : chronic 2001 (you know "Still D.R.E" and all those minor songs)
    One of the best beat he produced and performed on ? California love. When he was 31. He discovered and produced Eminem, when he was entering his forties.
    Check your facts before saying crap OP.

18. thecastermaster

thecastermaster Ultrasonic

Leonard Cohen, who is considered to be one of the greatest artists in modern music didn't even break out until he was well into his late 30's.

19. thecastermaster

Then there's Bowie, ect...

20. thecastermaster

LCD Soundsystem's James Murphy and 2Chainz didn't make it big until their 30's.