Advise asked: light and sturdy 25 key midi keyboard

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by Gnib, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Gnib

Gnib Producer

I need an light, portable 25 midi keyboard preferably with aftertouch. My budget is around €100.
    I am considering the CME X-KEY 25 so does anyone has any experience with this product?
    Are there any possible alternatives to this?

Your advise is much appreciated

3. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

I have found Alesis, Akai and Korg keyboards good in those regards. M-Audio keyboards have terribly (light, springy) touch. The best thing to do is to try different keyboards, in-person.

4. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

It's great, but it all depends what you want to do with it. I use it for composition, but performance may be another thing. Definitely a good thing to have in your arsenal though, they are small, light and sturdy!

It's always good to have different types of keys available though, in case you ever need them. I've got larger synth keyboards and weighted piano keys, but I do love my Xkey :wink:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  5. Gnib

Gnib Producer

@Zenarcist: yep, for composition when I am away from home as well as for making presets.

@steveitch: I know about the M-audio, had one but sold it.

Thnx for your reply

6. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

In my opinion and experience Akai keyboards are nice and easy to use and sturdy. Not the cheapest models, though. I don't think that there's anything quality made/sturdy and cheap. Oh, and Novation keyboards are neither cheap, nor sturdy, but I love my Remote 37 anyway. :wink:

7. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

In that case it's a no brainer, it will easily slip into a backpack. It's got polyphonic aftertouch too.

I got mine cheap on eBay via a combination of the make an offer option, and using a free eBay voucher. It's now my most used piece of kit.

I use the transpose button extensively to stay on the white keys while playing in any key. It's so easy to bang out melodies all day long, or play around with chord progressions when the C shape is always the I chord and the G shape the V chord.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  8. coconut8

coconut8 Kapellmeister

I'm also in procedure of purchasing 25 key controller. As for now there are only two manufactures for me that have a quality build, good controlling specs, and good price. From Novation there are Launchkey and Impulse, and from Nectar the Impact LX25. I have tried today the Nectar and the build quality is pretty good for just 100 euros. I use Ableton for live performance as DJ, so I'll need just to try all these models together with Ableton.

9. chippy33

chippy33 Kapellmeister

Novation impulse 25 or Novation Launchkey. Use both and love the feel and response - and i'm a grade 8 pianist.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Beth

Beth Guest

The K-Board is pretty cool and unique........can literally drive a pick up truck over it and it wont break etc...see the videos. Nice and easy to play and very expressive too. I have one and love it.

Heres the page with the nfo and the truck driving over it :)

https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/k-board/

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. Gnib

Gnib Producer

I've had a Novation Impulse 49, and their automap software was a real pain in the ass. Ableton is really optimized for Push. It`s a shame that the Akai Advance or MPK is probably not in your price range.

I picked up a CME X-KEY for 70 Euro incl. cover but that`s not suitable for your DJ stuff.

Anyway, try the Automap before you buy is my advise.

12. HeklaCF63

HeklaCF63 Guest

If you want it simple with 25 fullish size keys take a look at Acorn Masterkey 25. I got mine for £30 off amazon and it comes with Studio One Artist.