Advice on RAM upgrade please?

Discussion in 'PC' started by belinea2010, Mar 19, 2017.

1. belinea2010

belinea2010 Kapellmeister

Hi - I am getting the error "Low Memory" when using Kontakt even after Purging.

So I think I am in need of providing more RAM for it to use but I have no idea what to buy so I wonder if anyone can give me some advice?

Ideally it would be preferred to at least add 32 Gig of the same speed/performance RAM but I am sure there is better performing RAM available now than there was when I last bought some.

My system is:

Asus P8H77-V MB https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H77V/

Intel Core i5-3550 (Ivy Bridge-DT)

16 Gig RAM DDR3-1600 / PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM UDIMM installed as 4 x Kingston KHX1600C9D3/4GX

Samsung Evo 850 SSD 250Gb System Drive - running at 6Gb/s

Samsung Evo 850 SSD 500Gb Sample Drive - running at 6Gb/s (all Kontakt librarys are on here)

Samsung Evo 850 SSD 500Gb Project Drive - running at 3Gb/s

Windows 7 64bit Home Premium (Build 7601)

Thanks all.

3. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Hello.
    Your board maxes at 32gb, and unfortunately you have all the slots occupied. The only way to upgrade is to put 4 sticks of 8 gb each.
    If you find you need more than 32gb (many orchestral Kontakt channels etc) i'm afraid you need a total upgrade of cpu+board+ram. As for the ram speed it is not really important. Even if you add 4 sticks @ 2200mhz which is the maximum speed this board supports, the real world difference would something like a 1-2% if you are lucky (on ram performance, not overall). Keep in mind that when adding the maximum ram amount in any board you have to make sure it also works. Some boards refuse to boot with some sticks, or boot but they crash often etc.
    This is your board's memory device support page, keep in mind that any ram stick not mentioned there may work as well, what i mentioned is just a possibility.
    https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H77V/HelpDesk_QVL/
    Cheers

4. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

Yep, the mobo will take up to 32Gb of RAM.

OP stated that he's using Win7 Home Premium. I was under the impression that Win7 Home Premium's maximum addressable physical memory is 16Gb. Is it not necessary to update to Win7 Professional or Win7 Ultimate in order make use of 32GB of installed RAM?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

DarkFader has a point. Good that you noticed. You would have to upgrade to W7 Professional to be able to use more than 16GB of RAM. Pro and up can use up to 192GB.

6. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Quite correct, he has to upgrade to Pro or Ultimate, as mentioned.Damn, i totally skipped the OS mentioned. Bravo for the heads up:)

7. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

It's easy to omit such a thing like somebody using Windows 7 Home Edition version. I know nobody who uses it. Although, there are advantages for an audio workstation user - it is more streamlined than W7 Pro and Ultimate. All we need is an OS that is able to run our DAWs the best and leanest way possible. Ultimate comes with a lot of additional garbage and that's why I use Ultimate *very lite* version. :winker:

Sometimes you have to spend whole day just tweaking the MS piece of shit to make it work properly with older hardware. :/ Just had a case of non-working firewire recently. And then they say Linux is hard to make it work. My arse. :hahaha: Well, sometimes. Different PCs can behave so vastly different.

8. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Yep, about the same here. Very tweaked Ultimate. Although you may have noticed i'm quite against win10, i am currently messing with win server 2016. This thing is quite good and can be really modified close to excellence , if it wasn't for the telemetry i'd be considering it for workstation use. And lol it supports 24 TB of ram hahaha.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. dondada

dondada Rock Star

quite rightly so, all the newer shit i hear through the grapevine are more than dubious.
    they will drop the support genraly + for "older" cpu much earlyer than planned. microshit that is. they even announced ryzen support will be droped.
    that means all future updates will be met with "this system is not supported anymore" please upgrade kabylake or such nonsen.

even if its not realy kosher try to ,find, a enterprise edition and you will genraly be in smoother watters . for a time!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ch-you-receive-a-your-pc-uses-a-processor-tha

.ps
    just to be clear
    since 13.01.2015 Win7 runs on extended support and will be EOL at 14.01.2020
    so this is A REAL SUPRISE

10. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

You can't just drop support for a x86 compatible CPU. They should all work the same. Kinda like when Native Instruments say Kontakt 5 cannot work in XP but it does. They even made sure you can't install it in XP in a normal way. I have it installed and it works without any problems. :wink:

However, I've read there is an "update" [another one of those MS trojans] for W7 and W8 that will pop up a message like "this CPU is not supported in W7/8, please upgrade your OS" or something along these lines. They are fucking incredible. :sad: Oh well, we will find out the KB number of that "update" and just avoid installing it. Just as all the other trojan horses they tried to push onto W7 and W8 users.

It's good to be in the know, but don't believe everything their propaganda people say. Actually don't believe anything they say. :rofl:

Since every time they release a new OS and say "this new OS is faster", when it's clearly not [I'm referring to the amount of plugins you can run at lower latencies] - you only get an impression of faster by using various caching tricks that just use additional RAM and HD, I stopped believing anything they say.

Just use some of the streamlined/lite version of XP/W7/W8 you can download from certain websites, and you'll be just fine. One of the better versions of W7 I have is from "Team OS" with all the OS updates until May 2016. I wholeheartedly recommend it. :wink:

I'm sure the same team will release a really lean, fast, and lite version of W10, too. But I'm not going to bother with it for a couple of more years. The combination I use works perfectly for my needs. XP/W7/Debian.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. dondada

dondada Rock Star

I know its just a line of code, since for instance gigabyte explicity state their support for win7
    but it is anoying to what lenghts they are going. they introduced "adverts" in explorer (win explorer!) for their shity cloud service
    not too long and other things will find their way into "your" system. that is one of the reasons of this uber agressive strategy.

i was always a bit weary using a complete os from an "unkown" source, just doing it by hand once and build differnt states of bacups.
    even though i refresh my system every 2 years or so. my last complete build is from 010 ;)

12. VirtualMark

VirtualMark Member

I tried 10 for a few weeks and found it wholly unacceptable. It's a combination of malware, spyware and adware. Malware in that it changes your settings and reinstalls programs you've taken out. Spyware in that it sends your usage data to Microsoft. And adware in that we now have adverts in explorer and the start menu. It's the worst POS operating system I've ever used, and I had to go back to 8.

8 runs well for me, but I had to install classic shell and get my start menu back. Once this is done it's nice to use, but I couldn't stand that start screen. It's like it's designed by children.

I've also read now that Windows 7 and 8 won't support newer processors... Microsoft are really trying to force people into 10. The situation is now unbearable, don't know what I'll do when it comes time to upgrade any of my computers. I may have to go for Linux, as I don't like the overpriced new Macs either, with the pointless shitty touchbar.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Couldn't agree more hehe. I 've ranted many times about this one as well :)
    Up until now, this declaration they made is pure bullsht. Among others i own a 6700k, and recently made a comp for a client on 7700k and they are happy enough to run with Win7 Ultimate & 32gb ram and yes NVME SSD for system drive as well, mainly as described here:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...an-nvme-ssd-from-a-usb-3-0-thumbdrive.783921/
    Ok, this last one (NVME installation) is not for the "faint hearted" lol, but if you built systems before, i am sure you would agree this reads quite longer than it would actually take you to do this.
    Mofos @ MS are desperate to put their new bloatware OS in every home so they falsely advertise this crap man. Perhaps its a matter of time to get Intel and AMD to hard-code an exception in their cpus or chipsets, but i find it really hard to believe so. Why would they want to lose clients especially now that Ms, after last year's win10 launch fiasco, was forced to extend win7 support to 2020 and win 8 to 2023. My estimation is that for at least the next 5 years we 're gonna be ok using win7 or 8. A word of caution if you please, since you are on win8. Telemetry cannot be really avoided in win8 out of the box. If you have tweaked your sys and updates, maybe. Just check your outgoing traffic, that is if you really care about it. A useful read (and bat executable to get rid of telemetry updates) which i posted before is this:
    http://techne.alaya.net/?p=12499
    Take care :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  14. belinea2010

belinea2010 Kapellmeister

Hi everyone

Many thanks for your replys and advice.

It is because of the problems that everyone is speaking of in the newer posts regarding Win 7 Ultimate that I settled on Win 7 Home Premium. No bloatware and nice to tweak for DAW work.

My problem is how Kontakt loads samples into RAM rather than streaming from a HD.

I am trying to work with NI Session Horns Pro to create a convincing Rhythm & Blues Horn section (two trumpets, 1 trombone, 1 Sax) and I used JBridge on the 64 Bit version of Kontakt (so it can use the full RAM available) which has helped and I used Kontakts purge on each instrument in my multi but it has made my PC so sluggish.

It plays back okay but scrolling within the DAW no longer works and mouse movements are so slow. I know it is Kontakt causing this because if I turn off Kontakt everything returns to normal.

It really messes up your workflow and creativity and I may have to abandon this track because, after doing some checking this afternoon, buying a new motherboard, RAM, Power Supply, CPU, Cooling and so on I may as well just buy a brand new PC which I can not afford.

Plus most new systems only seem to support Windows 10 which all the reports say is terrible for DAW's and if not, I hate its interface, looks like something you would find in a play school rather than a professional OS.

I would consider buying Win 7 pro just to get the larger RAM support but it is not for sale anywhere on the web apart from some dodgy sellers on ebay which is not a route I want to go down. :)

15. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

16. saltwater

saltwater Guest

i think its time to get a new system because the DDR3 ram are expensive.
    you could buy a used hp z420 workstation for 450 bucks with 6 cores and 32 Gb or more preinstalled, the xeon's can handle a lot of memory if you need more in the future. with your SSD's in it you got a very nice system for not so much money.

17. VirtualMark

VirtualMark Member

Like you said, up until now:

http://thehackernews.com/2017/03/wi...r.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Just read this yesterday, it sucks.

Thanks for the info you posted, I'll check it out. I'm not too fussed about telemetry, I just want an operating system that does what I tell it to. Windows 10 changes settings and drivers without my say so, which is a deal breaker for me.

18. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Oh lol , i 'm gonna check right now on my 6700k machine. I remember there were some updates pending hehe. I ll get back to you
    EDIT: Where the fk do they get their info from i wonder man. I just did the March 2017,Security Monthly Quality Rollup KB4012215 on my Win 7/6700k/Z-170 machine. As the name implies it is a security update lol. So either they are trying to scare people, or the Ms update system is messed up as it should block me from updating, if of course what hackernews reports is true.
    RE-EDIT: I read the article again. It refers only to 7700k and Ryzen cpus ( Qualcom also) and not 6700k. I 'll have to phone my client who installed W7 Ultimate on a 7700k and ask him if his sys updates correctly. I will post back.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  19. VirtualMark

VirtualMark Member

Yeah it's supposedly just the latest processors. I'd be interested to hear your results, and really hope that it's just scaremongering. If they're actually trying to force people into using Windows 10, I'm not going to be too happy.

20. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Things get more complicated heheh. Update on this : Just got hold of my client with the 7700k Kaby Lake cpu on the phone, he did the March quality rollup update and the malicious software update, no other update pending on his sys. Everything seems normal on his computer so far.
    Let's see what happens on April :)