Advice for someone stuck with Catalina

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Biggulper16, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Biggulper16

Biggulper16 Newbie

I recently got the new 16’ but am unable to downgrade to Mojave. So I’m either stuck with Catalina or I downgrade to a 15’ that’s the same price for half the ram.
    Wondering if anyone knows a way to get Mojave running? Or if not - has anyone found any way to get past some of the 64 bit plugins that are unable to install (EX kontakt 5.6)?

3. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

While you have Catalina on your machine download the Mojave Installer image and create a bootable installer drive. When this is done, boot into recovery (CMD+R after restarting) and use Disk Utility to format the internal drive. Make sure you have backed up your files before taking this step if there is anything you need to keep. Not sure how Catalina handles the next part, but on all previous mac OS's you could select Reinstall macOS/OSX and then select the drive you want to install from. In your case, the bootable drive you created. You can also restart while holding Option and this will allow you to select which drive you want to boot from, again in your case the bootable drive. If you're installing High Sierra or later, make sure to format to APFS.

4. Cosval

Cosval Member

5. SaltySeaMajorVII

SaltySeaMajorVII Member

I was just about to make that same leap myself but I did some research and found on the new 16" machine, it seems impossible for the first time (as far as I know) to downgrade OSX using the above suggested methods. Please post an update if you find a way. I'd love to buy the new machine but this is a deal-breaker for me. Will probably end up buying an earlier 2019 15" or an iMac.

6. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Wow. This would truly suck. How about booting to Target Disk Mode and using another machine to format and install? I'm not going past 10.13.6 so I have virtually no experience with Catalina. I used to do this professionally for the company itself and this would be a major change in practice if it is true.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

be patient and wait.
    it's just a matter of time for compatible releases to come.

no developer in their right mind would stop updating their products and skip mac users,
    and it's the same for crack teams.

don't take the risk to mess up your new machine

8. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Yeah, don't listen to me. Haven't even used Catalina. I'm going to get a hold of a new machine and try myself. If this is true, what used to be "closed" is now "shut-down". Trust that it did work the way I stated. Let me try first before you follow my advice.

9. Biggulper16

Biggulper16 Newbie

i tried this a couple times yesterday but unfortunately it seems the new system doesnt allow it. When i tried to install mojave, i just got a screen with a circle and a dash through it

10. lemjello

lemjello Ultrasonic

I'm running Catalina, and Kontakt 5.6 works fine. I however updated from Mojave, so, the install already happened.
    Do you have a time machine backup that you can use to pull over your older apps that have already been installed?
    I doubt you will be able to downgrade to Mojave due to the hardware components in the new machine. Some genius out there will figure it out though. I see people have Mojave running as a virtual machine, but, that doesn't seem like the way to go....

11. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

Right now there is no way to do this. If it is critical then you would have to buy a basic laptop to work on old projects, but as for the 16, its' only looking forward. Hunt down 64 bit replacement stuff as needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

as far as I know, there is no way to downgrade MacOS below version Mac device was shipped with,
    and with this new MBP which isn't really just a rebranded older model, there is most likely newer chipset and other kexts (drivers) taking care of MBP 16" functionality that even IF there would be way to downgrade (some mix of Carbon Copy Cloner magic hijacking another Mojave bootable drive pushed into soldered internal SSD etc..), most likely it would not function properly - this is very thin ice I would not step into unless you're willing to completely fck things up and return entire device with uncertain warranty condition results (!)

if you need just some non-crucial apps to work, Parallels will probably work just fine, integrating Mojave guest into Catalina host

OR you can try installing Windows 10 instead with Bootcamp :rofl:*
    *just joking, so bad I hesitate to keep it unedited