Advice for monitors placement in a weird room. (option A and B)

Discussion in 'Studio' started by luanpacheco, Apr 23, 2020.

?

What Option?

1. Option A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Option B

11 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. luanpacheco

luanpacheco Noisemaker

Ok, I got this bedroom and I need to placement my speakers on that wall (only option is that wall). Is a pair of the JBL LSR308 (8")

So I have this doubt. Option A or B.

Option A:
    - The speakers are on the center of the room, but Im afraid that the right speaker on that little corner can cause me trouble, mainly in the low frequencies.

[​IMG]

Option B:
    - The speakers are on the center of that little space, but not on the center of the room. Im afraid that the left speaker are too close to the left wall of the room. Again, causing me trouble on the low frequencies.

[​IMG]

This is not a professional studio (obviously!) and the only thing that I want to achieve is the best option of these two.

Thanks!

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Err, in this scenario B, of course.
    In A the right speaker is in a corner, which is on principle bad, and the left isn't which would make them sound noticeably different.

4. Klefths

Klefths Ultrasonic

Yep, definitely B but those speakers are huge for near field monitors, sweetspot between Tweeter and woofer is too far apart for balanced auditioning in a logical distance.

5. shankar

shankar Platinum Record

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

True

Exactly what i was writing. To make matters worse those JBLs are rear ported

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. luanpacheco

luanpacheco Noisemaker

exactly...

Thanks guys, I'll go with the option B!

8. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

Yup, a pair of quality front-ported 5" monitors and a decent sub would be the best workaround in that room layout imho.

9. Fer Zeleid

Fer Zeleid Member

A subwoofer in such a small room is ok? I've always been told not to put a subwoofer in small rooms. What kind of sub would you recommend?

10. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

I have a larger overall 'studio' space than the OP, but not by very much, and i've got great results with a pair of Neumann KH120s with a legacy Yamaha SW10 sub (i can't afford a matching Neumann sub just now :() - the sub is set to discreetly flesh-out the music down to the centre of the earth (heh) but most of the time i don't even have it on, 'cos the neumann's pretty much nail it on their own. However, to properly check the bottom-end of a mix (or to show off to associates/clients/friends) they can be very effective!

For me, the trick with a 2.1 setup is an obsessive attention to 'tuning' the best overall balance between sub and monitors so that they sit together just right... it took me a great many hours minutely adjusting relative volume levels between monitors and sub (whilst playing all manner of 'reference' material) until i finally got to a soundstage that i felt was right on the money - i.e. a mostly 'neutral' sound that i knew i could reliably work with at sensible working levels.

So... if I were the OP i'd probably be looking to head for something ike an Adam AX3/5 - Sub7/8 combo (or something along similar lines from another manufacturer) at some point in the future, 'cos then (s)he'd be able to position the sub further away from a corner and have far better control over the overall soundstage than with the monolithic 8" setup (s)he currently has... however it's hardly a showstopper - indeed, the most important thing is that (s)he gets on with productive music creation!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

How did you find the "perfect" balance between your sub and your main monitors,please ? By using a pink noise or a white noise generator in your DAW ? Or by listening reference tracks ?

12. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

Option B indeed

and about a subwoofer, sound in air travels 343 meters per second at 20°C,
    generously measured, in the picture sound makes a distance of about 6.5 meters from the speaker to the back wall and then to your ears.
    Half-wave theory teaches us, that wavelengths that do not have at least half of their wavelengths to run back, will bump into themselves.
    343/6= 57.17 hz is about as low as it goes until it all smushes up and pressure builds up in specific parts of your room.

The manual states that your speakers go as low as 37Hz, that seems to me to be overly exaggerated.
    the crossover in the subwoofer in this JBL series is at 80 hz. which makes it more reasonable to me to believe that without a sub they will perform well down to about 65hz. adding a sub to that will add a clearer response from 65hz down to 57.17 hz wich is effectively 2 notes.

I would advise against a subwoofer, If that window is about a meter wide like on your picture, I would spend the money on a good thick curtain!

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

It's simply impractical for me to attain a 'perfect' acoustic environment where i work/write, so instead i employed a more pragmatic approach by using reference tracks only... naturally I wouldn't dare suggest that this is the 'correct' way to do this (especially if you're lucky enough to work in a professionally-treated acoustice environent), but i trust my ears and when my mixes sound tolerably good here they certainly appear to translate well elsewhere! Now if i were a commercial mastering service, i'd fully expect to be ridiculed for such amateur foolishness, but luckily i'm not and no harm done - indeed for me quite the opposite! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List