Adding Kontakt Library..... Finally Some Relief????

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Rico88, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Rico88

Rico88 Newbie

Hey folks! I've been having a ton of problems recently adding Kontakt libraries on a new Win 8 machine I got about 2 weeks ago. I must have tried a zillion times to get Kontakt to accept these files, but just couldn't do it. Spent hours and hours on Google trying to see if I could locate an answer somewhere, but just came up short no matter what I tried. I checked here and could see that some of you were also having the same problem.

Anyway, a few hours ago I stumbled on something I hadn't seen before while searching around online for answers. If it's common knowledge to some/all/many of you than excuse me for posting it, but I had never seen this simple solution and was so excited by it I wanted to share it with you. Right click on your Kontakt shortcut before running, and select "run as administrator". SUDDENLY I CAN ADD THE FREAKIN LIBRARIES THAT I COULDN'T ADD NO MATTER WHAT!!!!! NI Session Horns loading up for the first time on this Win 8 machine. Same thing with Kirk Hunter pop/rock strings, and about 5 others that I could never get running on this new computer.

There's still a few things I haven't ironed out with this very simple fix. First, while some of the libraries remain after closing and then re-opening Kontakt, some disappear and have to be added again after selecting 'run as administrator'. Not sure why that would be, but maybe some of us can put our heads together and find an answer. Also, I'm new to Win 8 and haven't yet sorted out how you can just get the damn thing to always open 'running as an administrator', without having to do the right click and select it each time. I've been too busy cursing at Win 8 every day to figure that one out, but if someone knows how to do it please post. Oh, and by the way, you'll see some oddball Kontakt prompts while trying to add the library this way, but just ignore them and continue to click through -- when you're done the library will be in your list.

Anyway, I can't tell you how excited I was to finally get to hear some of these libraries on my new computer setup. Never being able to load them was getting quite frustrating. I hope this very simple 'run as administrator' fix helps some of you as well.

Regards,

Rico

3. DutchMusicMan

DutchMusicMan Newbie

And how does this work if I want to use Kontakt in a DAW?

4. Rico88

Rico88 Newbie

Go the the shortcut that was created when you installed Kontakt, even if you only want to run Kontakt within your DAW. Do the right click on the shortcut, check run as administrator, and let it open. Quit Kontakt and then try running it through your DAW as you normally would.

It keeps working for me with the sample libraries -- all the ones I couldn't get working before are now working okay -- a couple of them I have to keep re-loading through the "add library" tab in Kontakt whenever I want to run the particular library because they're no longer in my library list after having closed down the DAW and Kontakt. Some of them now can be opened through the file menu in Kontakt, that's the only way I can get them running, but they're working fine that way -- you should try both with whatever library you're attempting to open and having a problem with. It's better than before when I couldn't load them at all no matter what i tried. I think alot of the problem is just all this extra security stuff in Windows 8.

It's funny, because I was trying all these complicated solutions, and then it turns out to be some simple thing you overlooked that gets it working. Go figure!

Hope that helps.