Adam A7X Monitors With Adam Sub7 - Feedback Please!

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by phloopy, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Also found that the mid-high range of the Adam A7x was a bit fatiguing. Still an excellent pair of monitors for this price, which always require some kind of compromise.
    Went the Eve sc307 route since - not the same price range unfortunately - I love those.

2. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

Try looking at kali audio I bought a pair of 8s and I really like them and it will save you some cash to put some good room treatment.. just a suggestion

3. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Whatever pair of speakers you get, try to fix the most obvious acoustic issues in your room and find a good position for them. Without adding a subwoofer in the first place. I've been using the Adam A5X for three years and although they're considerably smaller than my previous monitors, I've never felt like there's a lack of bass. A big sub can be fun but I prefer to monitor in a way that is remotely similar to how people listen to music today.
    Wait a sec, I might better switch to coin-size smartphone speakers then... :crazy:

4. Misterguywick

Misterguywick Producer

Genelec 8020D seems decent

5. cliquid

cliquid Member

I used them for a few years but switched to Dynaudio. The Adam's are great, but for the music I produce (mostly club music and hip hop), the Dynaudio BM12's suited me better. Obviously the best thing is try some out with your favourite reference material. Try the Dynaudios if you get a chance as well. They are the truest monitors I have used for mixdowns in over 30 years in studios and the mixes translate very well universally.

6. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

They have very good stereo separation at the price of a very narrow sweet spot.

Yes I think I'll try ARC first.Good idea!
    In my room I have nasty resonances around 2 KHz due to an aluminium radiator near my listening position.I have no idea how I could solve this issue.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  7. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

They're great too, maybe even a tad more neutral than the Adams.

8. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Errr... Welcome.
    I won't be mean the first time around, but subjective nonsense is what built this world for good or bad. Some people here have talked enough times to understand and know each other, at times as much as knowing someone in person, so hearing what they think plays a part in formulating a more rounded up opinion.
    As for the
    You can't be really serious right? Why don't you show us your "all-of-the-above" room please. I promise to show you mine.
    Oh and btw, a good speaker is good no matter what. Effectively, really good speaker pairs that deserve a really special treatment start at around 10-15k, so what you say here does not apply, if it ever exactly did. There is no actual point in taking painstaking expensive measurements for a 1k pair of monitors. Just the basics will suffice.
    Cheers

9. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

If you have tghe money buy multiple pairs and try them at home :) and return the ones you dislike

10. justanengineer

justanengineer Member

Thank you.

I have no need to show my studios. I'm not arguing an opinion, I'm stating facts. A good speaker is not good no matter what. Hearing is subjective and a monitors performance can only ever be a result of the room they're placed in. Place a pair of MicroMain 27's in an untreated room and you'll receive all manner of modal and resonance problems. In that regard, they are terrible monitors.

It isn't worth asking opinions of monitors (or reading reviews of them) because you are gambling a potentially expensive decision on too many variables. You're asking for reviews based on very specific rooms with any number of modal and resonance problems. Not to mention the subjective hearing capabilities specific to that person (assuming they have appropriate listening skills).

An opinion here stated that the highs in Adams are fatiguing after several hours and I can't argue that opinion, but it is nonetheless based on the acoustic properties of that users environment. I've used Adam's in the past, as have many clients, and many don't find them fatiguing in the slightest. It is subjective and based on an environment you are unable to predict. If you choose to gamble an expensive decision based on someones room then don't be surprised when you are disappointed with the result.

I believe the mantra is try before you buy and that applies with anything in audio. With regard to monitors, look for popular models and then listen at different levels for frequency and transient response and where you begin to loose transient behaviour in your environment. Most professional stores allow you to test monitors for 30 days because they know just how important this is. If your local store doesn't permit it, you should go elsewhere.

11. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

you can say that about anything (plugins, synths, etc) in the audio world. So Might as well stop talking, close the forum, cause it's all relative to something and subjective. Ultimately the quality of the sound you get in your environement is dependant of the design of the environement. Any one saying anything in the audio world say it in a subjective fashion, even perfectly treated environements will have different equipements that render any comparaison subjective.
    But since it's music and not hard science well no one cares nor asks for absolute opinion from a godly perspective that cannot exist.
    People ask for feedbacks and concrete experiences, knowing the limit of those and they choose to believe the ones they choose to believe, like in most area in life.

12. justanengineer

justanengineer Member

No you can't.

A significant proportion of audio engineering is a hard science that is neither subjective nor relative. In fact a good proportion of discussions within this forum are based in audio engineering. The suggestion that a monitor has extremely precise transients within a specified frequency range is incorrect and misleading. You can't define transient response in one specific frequency range. Another thread stated that 12-bit adds some analogue mojo - its incorrect - it adds more digital artefacts.

If a plug-in suffers from aliasing, a mixing desk introduces crosstalk, a tube adds harmonic distortion, or a synthesiser does not reproduce a saw wave accurately this is not a subjective opinion, its fact. It is perfectly possible to hold conversation on audio without subjectivity so there is no need to be dramatic about closing the forum.

I'm simply saying "try in your environment before you buy" because regardless of what anyone says, you will not experience it the same in your environment.

13. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Yeah sure.

A marginal proportion of audio engineering is hard science. Cancelled by the differenciation induced by the nature of the receptor (IE evolving biological human ears)...Bla, bla, bla.

14. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Adams are used by many but it depends on the sound signature you like to work with, always test yourself, order from Thomann and use them for a few days, you can always return them.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2019
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

The versions which have a port noise problem are those which don't have deep ports in the enclosure,oriented slightly toward the woofer.

16. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

I have the deep ports but i cant anyways provoke to make it port noise :) same with teh ring

17. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Rocco Sifreddy can!:bleh:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  18. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

19. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

I am surprised this should mean a "con" on a review, unless this review is from 20 yrs ago hehe.
    Magnetic shielding prevents the speaker magnets from interfering with display devices such as tvs and computer monitors. That is CRT tvs and monitors. In short, this should mean very little to you, nowadays all displays are some sort of LCD type which -as a rule of thumb- are not susceptible to magnetic interference. CRTs produced their "picture" by using a magnet to deflect an electron beam so they were vulnerable to magnetic interference which could cause image degradation and distortion.
    Cheers mate :D
    EDIT: That 2010 SOS review is for the old Adam A7X model which was rlsd at around late '09 if i recall. The current model while it maintains some of the previous model's qualities, it's quite different (imho the new ones are much better) so you may need to check again for a review of the new A7 speakers :)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  20. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

F*** I just buy those monitors :like: