Ad Hoc Connection and Ableton Link

Discussion in 'Live' started by groove, Jul 14, 2016.

1. groove

groove Kapellmeister

Hello everybody

Someone there works with Ableton link on Ad Hoc Connection Mac and iOS.... For me i have try several time and can't this trick working ... Only Wi FI Regular is working ...

Thanks for your feedback...

3. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

I actually achieved the Ad Hoc connection using Ableton Link yesterday and I've got to say it's fucking bananas at how incredibly rock solid it is! If you're interested in using Ableton to jam out with your friends, all you really need is some kind of mixer in between the two, since unlike rewire it doesn't do anything to address the issue of using the same audio card. Seriously though if that what you want to do, do it right now! Regardless of whether you are using OSX, iOS or Windows because, Fuck it's incredible!

I had two computers using Windows 8.1 connected using their ethernet ports and a cat-5 crossover cable and rtpMIDI to speak between the two. The most impressive part is that on this corner i had my desktop 32 gb ram, an external audio card, using an ssd to stream samples off of and an 8 core AMD card and even more impressively on the other corner my hand me down laptop that's several years old with an older generation i5 processor, with only 4gb ram, old mechanical hard drive and just the standard directX playing over laptop speakers and without having to use any sort of delay compensation it played perfectly in time! I could see this with so many practical applications. For example, two DJs using a DJ controller on Traktor synced to Ableton could play a tag set. You could use it to have an Ableton band with multiple types of devices, the possibilities are limitless!

. . . that being said, as FUCKING ALWAYS it really doesn't do anything to address Ableton's flaws as a Rewire client. You can't have a device that is using Ableton Link to be controlled by either an external clock or even use Ableton Link when it's running as a Rewire client. It's really fucking sad because this only goes to prove that the technology exists to provide ways to synchronize different DAWs together with little or no drift with timing compensated but since most of the companies are only interested in developing their own in-house solutions to synchronization we will be stuck using decades old technology to solve timing issues when using MIDI between DAWs. =/

Keeping in mind my total lack of experience with anything network or Apple related, if I can be of any assistance while you're trying to set up something like this up give me a shout =)

. . . and definitely give me a shout, if you can be of any help while I'm still trying figure out using Ableton as a fully functional Slave to print audio into Studio One with little to no delay, on Windows. Whether it's through two networked computers or just one.

4. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

Cool to know TheThirdPerson! I have sadly NOT tested Ableton Link, it's possibilities seem amazing, and it's pathetic I haven't.. Most of my reasons for not are
    a. too busy to go down the rabbit hole
    b. laziness on my part with all the chaos in my life to adjust to a new paradigm (which is stupid on my part) and
    c. I keep my work machine OFF-LINE and it's always been a but of a PITA to set up a LAN/ad-hoc network for me... but again, that probably comes back to a and b, because I just need to do 20 minutes of research and troubleshooting...

Would love to hear other peoples experience with this, and iOS instruments etc...

It would be great if it worked with something like the iConnect boxes or midi over usb on iOS/OSX, NOT requiring turning on the network etc... but I guess that would kind of kill the point of it all....

coincidentally started researching this more yesterday, thanks for reminding me to keep on it!

5. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

Definitely @sisyphus, once you have your network setup, it's easy as hell and that's what I was most impressed by! When I figured it out yesterday I wasn't even really trying to do it in the first place. I was trying to setup a network to use Ableton on my Laptop synced up to Studio One on my desktop using Vienna Ensemble Pro and I got bored for a few minutes so I decided to try it out.

That being said, I'm most interested in trying to make Ableton Link as a MIDI clock type interface to be able to use Ableton to "rewire" DAWs it usually doesn't support. I wonder if the some of the iOS apps that are meant to be able to be sync external midi gear could be used to send MIDI clock info back to another DAW and at least have Ableton play in Sync if not just out right trigger it all together.

6. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

What I'm really hoping is Ableton allowing some other DAWs to get in on the action and support it. However, I'm not going to hold my breath.

7. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I'm on Windows 10 but can also testify to the stability of an ad hoc connection for Link. It's awesome.
    If you have and iPad you should check out V Control.
    With the plugin window it lets you stream individual plugins or your DAW screen to your device and you have full control with your iPad's screen.
    Another notable mention is Auria Pro, which does the same thing and comes with a few FabFilter plugins. Look for the little 'e' under plugins.
    And StudioMux which works over USB but is amazing. It works as a virtual mixer and with iOS's Inter-App Audio and/or Audiobus turns your iPad into a dedicated, zero-latency Send/Return FX box. The Sugarbytes and Apesoft apps are really cool to use like this.
    musicIO is another.

Animoog and Model15 are a consistently in most of my work, clock synced with no latency thanks to ad hoc.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  8. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

You can set up an ad hoc connection using an Ethernet cable, FireWire, Wi-Fi and even Bluetooth and keep your machine offline at the same time. It does use Internet Protocol but the devices do not have to be online for it to work. A wireless ad hoc connection is like connecting two or more devices with an invisible Ethernet cable. No ISP required.

9. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

Thanks for the tips @Pinkman, yup, forgot you can even use Firewire or bluetooth!

10. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

I am a little fuzzy on this, but I thought Ableton were going to release it open source style etc so other devs could implement it.... (like NI's "Stems".....(obviously did for apps etc...)....

11. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I don't think you can have simultaneous wireless connections on a Mac. You may have to disable your wireless internet connection to allow the ad hoc connection.

You can remedy this by getting using a Wireless USB Adapter and using your Airport for Internet and the adapter for the ad hoc.
    I'm on Windows so Mac users feel free to weigh in here.

12. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

They did but you have to sign up and provide your personal information and probably some kind of credentials to beta it.

I'm not some esteemed dev; to be honest, I'm hardly even tech savvy. I'm just some end-user that wants Ableton to support certain functionalities, that they have been time and time again quite insistent about NOT supporting. Have you ever noticed how certain apps just magically seem to disappear if big brother Ableton doesn't like the functionality it supports? Functionality that mimics things that they don't want competing with their own products?

I'm fairly certain that why Bitwig exists in the first place because there are former Ableton Devs that that didn't like how closed source Ableton has become. Ableton has millions of dollars (at least) at their disposable with free classes and workshops in most every major city around the world. Sometimes with guest teachers who are highly-esteemed sound-designers and power users, but somehow Bitwig already has a completely touchable and fully functional rescaled interface, to work on tablets, that aren't limited to iOS? One who's fully functional version is a third of the cost of suite?

I definitely don't buy it.

I might be tempted to play around with the developers kit if someone puts it up somewhere. However, I'm just waiting for Bitwig to be on par in terms of certain functionality that I deem necessary and will jump ship.

Music knows no loyalty and neither do I.

Also, I definitely don't have the funds to squabble on Mac or iOS devices and Link seems to only be interested in catering to its high-end clientele.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  13. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

[QUOTE="thethirdperson, post: 212154, member: 22893"Have you ever noticed how certain apps just magically seem to disappear if big brother Ableton doesn't like the functionality it supports? Functionality that mimics things that they don't want competing with their own products?
    [/QUOTE]

I haven't noticed this that I remember, but I am certainly not arguing against you that it has happened....! What kind of things have disappeared?

14. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

@sisyphus, I'll respond later when I get the chance. I just wanted to let you know that so you didn't feel like I was ignoring you. =)

15. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Propellerhead's Reason was made by people who used to work with Steinberg.
    Wolfgang Kundrus was one of the first devs for Cubase and had a huge part in Nuendo and went on to found Studio One with PreSonus.
    Developers left Ableton to create Bitwig.

When shit get successful it get's bureaucratic and it's nice to know that some of these developers value ideals and design over financial stakes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List