AD 2.0 in REAPER, Help with routing

Discussion in 'Software' started by FWRG, Mar 21, 2021.

1. FWRG

FWRG Noisemaker

Hey everybody, good to be here - not sure if this is the right place to post this, but any help would be much appreciated as i can not find anything on the internet about it.

I'm owning the R2R version of Addictive Drums 2 (gotta do some testing before actually buying the product)
    I see in a lot of videos that you can route all individual tracks pre/post fader or through the master etc
    But in my instance there's only 1)Master 2)Separate Outputs 3)Separate Outputs+Master

Is there something on my end that i must do? Iconically i would like to work post-fade so i can apply any effects i want AND use the build in effects of AD2. I use REAPER.

3. odelay

odelay Kapellmeister

I own the registered version of Addictive Drums 2. I also use Reaper. Whenever I load the VST instrument, I'm asked if I want one single stereo output for AD, or separate outputs for the channels (18 outputs - stereo for some, mono for single single instruments - Namely, you'll get "Master, Kick, Snare, Tom1, Tom2, Tom3, Tom4, Flexi1, Flexi2, Flexi3, Overhead, Room, Bus) - Choose that you would like separate outputs, and Reaper automatically detects AD's outputs (and whether they are mono or stereo), and sends them to their respective audio tracks. - Anyway, you'll need to set up each AD mixer channel to send its output either pre or post fader. How's that achieved? There's a litlle arrow at the bottom of each channel strip in the mixer, just below the "phase" button. If you click on that button, you get 5 options:
    1) Master (default) - The output of that channel strip is sent to the Stereo master output, unless you choose one of the other options.
    2) Separate out (Pre-fader)
    3) Separate out (Pre-fader) + Master
    4) Separate Out (Post-fader)
    5) Separate out (Post-fader) + Master.
    If you choose options 2-4, the arrow will change colour and/or shape (to show that channel is not just sent to the master, but to one of the 4 "separate out" options.
    Obviously, if you wish to get clean sound for individual outputs you should try either 2 or 4. The "send" effects are always sent to the "Master" track. That is, if you choose options 2 or 4 for each output, you'll only get the "Send FX" through the Master Output. If you choose 3 or 5 for your channel strips, you'll also get that channel sound both either pre or post fader, plus its output through the master output.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. FWRG

FWRG Noisemaker

Thank you for the very detailed answer, ill use it as a template. But the thing is i do not have all 5 options as stated in the OP.
    I have only three, them being Separate Output, Master, Separate+Master. Any ideas as to why is that perhaps?
    Or should i go directly for the paid version? lol

5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

You need to choose this option

[​IMG]

Then you should see this

[​IMG]

and by clicking on the downward arrow you should see this

[​IMG]

Then everything what @odelay said should work, at least it does here. Legit or not doesn't matter.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Owning LOL

Now that is real owning as i guess its the legit version

7. FWRG

FWRG Noisemaker

Welp, thank you for the input mr.Wittgenstein!

8. FWRG

FWRG Noisemaker

Nope, sorry man, i got only three options still!

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. No Avenger

Then I'd suggest a reinstallation.

10. odelay

odelay Kapellmeister

Version 2.0? Maybe that's the problem. With the latest versions of AD2, you get all those options as outputs. Maybe your version is too old and those had not been implemented yet. I think you can find more recent versions in the sister site (2.1.9 seems to be there).

If you feel like going for the legit version, I recommend waiting for either a summer sale special, Black friday or similar. Subscribe to their newsletter at XLN Audio and you'll be promptly informed of those. (I think I got mine at about a 40% discount - full version with all the Adpacks and Midi Packs).

11. alexbart

alexbart Producer

After you have added the instrument, you can enable the multiple outputs in a later moment.
    If the instrument has multiple outputs, click on the fx button from Reaper mixer or Reaper track control panel, right click on the instrument name (AD2) and select "Buld Multichannel routing for output of selected FX", if the instrument has multi outputs functionality, it will create the mutliple outputs routing, if not, it will show a message about not available outputs for the instrument.

12. No Avenger

Ha, this could be. I was late in the ADD2 game, so I didn't know this but I just found this in an early review from 2014 'and choose between sending a channel to the Master channel, a Separate out, or to the Master + a Separate out.'

Nonetheless this
    should work with Separate Out - I suppose.

13. FWRG

FWRG Noisemaker

Thank you all guys, that was most helpful, good folks!

14. Audioboss

Audioboss Newbie

I got Addictive Drums2 at a sale in April. It included two Adpack and some MIDI packs. Before I was using the R2R version 2.1 9 Could I use the adpacks that came with R2R in the legit version of AD, would it cause any licensing problems?
    I have no idea, but I want to be sure not to mess things up.
    Regards.