Acustica releases Ruby, a vacuum tube eq made under DW Fearn license (VT-5)

Discussion in 'Software News' started by SoundForSoul, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

@Torrao ...... \m/

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  2. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

@Blorg >>> buy better cables lol

3. Blorg

Blorg Producer

True. Differences in digital cables can be (verifiably) none at all, due to the binary nature of shit they transmit. It's either high or low, on or off, 1 or 0. Even in protocols not relying on error correction (e.g. checksum), resultant data is either right or wrong -- objectively, no ifs and or buts, no shades of gray. I haven't tried that HDMI cable, to
    Perhaps I should, you never know.

Which smoothly segues us to the musical question: exactly what's empirical data, teh scientific method, and what's bullshit.
    Empiricism, like everything else, becomes grotesque when misapplied.
    Yes, my music becomes 200% better (to me) when I partake of quality recreational chemistry. This experiment could be repeated ad nauseam, with roughly the same results. Conclusion: Shoot dope to gr8 music! Budding empiricists will point out that nearly all jazz greats were junkies, so, lol, Q.E.D. I can't prove them wrong, won't even try :)

Of course Brand X can be made to sound different from Brand Y. Even if they are, in fact, *identical* under the hood. That's one facet of a thing called psychoacoustics. You read ad copy, it looks the part, it's expensive. You *expect* it to sound better, you expect to hear, *listen for* that sweet sweet sweetens in the top end*. This is literally what marketing is all about.
    Fun test:
    Listen to this with your yes closed (not reading anything on the screen), then do the same, but read the captions.

4. Splicementality

Splicementality Kapellmeister

anyone else here had any recent contact with these guys, they usually reply very fast, but i haven't got any answer as to why my N4 is missing out of my library, anyone has had the same issue? and yes, i did not log into the "old" system as they call it.

5. I wasn't referring to digital cable and shouldn't have cited your example, me dumb and me apologies. I was talking about transmition of audio over audio cable.

6. Satai

Satai Rock Star

Plot twist, Acustica salesmen hired our very own @Blorg to provide "controlled opposition" and keep the sales thread near the top using the controversy... :rofl:

7. SoundForSoul

SoundForSoul Ultrasonic

@Blorg where do you came with the idea that I made this topic as a satisfied CUSTOMER? It seems that I forgot to add the fact that I am a proud representative of Acustica in my signature at some point (maybe since I am not that active on this of forum) - even though I didn't find that necessary, I have just added it now, and I must say that I am quite passionate about AA (like many other users here), and that was the only reason that I applied for the dealer position few years ago, so I will leave the impartial reviews on your side.

8. Blorg

Blorg Producer

My mistake. From now on, I'll assume that all positive posts about Acustica are penned by people trying to sell me Acustica :)
    I, too, forget to mention that I'm trying to sell the product I review. A natural oversight.

9. Torrao

Torrao Platinum Record

Wait a sec... Slate, is that you again?

10. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

This is Hilarious ! >>> @Von_Steyr feels like old times hahaha \m/

11. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

yeah the post Christmas lull is over I see... back to the usual aggravation and bickering..

from Huis Clos : "continuons" ! :shalom:

12. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

Looks like I'm late to the Ruby party!!

Full disclaimer as to not upset anybody here.......

-I'm a nine year Acustica Audio Nebula user and a beta tester. I've been using Ruby since December.
    -I'm an 18 year DW Fearn hardware user, I currently own a VT-1 and VT-7. I prefer NOS 1950's GE 6072 tubes in all gain stages in my Fearn gear. I've used ever single Fearn hardware piece except the rare channel strip and the 4 channel preamp. I've used the VT-4 and VT-5 EQ's over 50 times. DW Fearn gear is my second favorite just after Requisite Audio.
    -I'm one of the few that knew about this AA/Fearn collaboration 1.5 years back but was sworn to secrecy. Having two of my favorite companies collaborate on a product was a true pleasure.
    -I'm very opinionated and trust my ears and results over everything.
    -I'm a multi-platinum Engineer and Producer.

Ok, now that all that is out of the way I can say Ruby is one of the smoothest EQ's you'll ever hear inside a computer. The hardware is ultra smooth and musical and Ruby is very accurate to the hardware. Ruby shines on vocals, piano, strings like few EQ's as it stays very natural sounding at high gain boosts. The high end on Ruby is absolutely IMHO one of the best we've ever seen in a plugin, crank it 10 db an just smile. My only real knock on Ruby is that the preamp is ok to me as it was most likely using a newer tube in the unit that was sampled and I prefer NOS 1950's-60's GE tubes as they provide more depth and dimension. I'm hoping in a few years time Ruby 2 will be able to include some other tube options on the preamp.

Ruby is a great channel EQ and can work on buss's but I'm not a fan on the 2 buss. Team Ruby with Amber (Avalon 2055) and experience a serious 1-2 EQ combination that can cover almost everything you can throw at them and sound killer IMHO. It's pretty amazing how close to hardware these tools are, we work in great times with great tool options.

Demo for yourself and as always, to each their own.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

@giancarlo

The only problem i have regarding your excellent plugins are the names .
    Ruby, diamond, amber, scarlet. Sounds like a collection of women`s underwear.

We need some powa, some oomph, some manly names, to feel the testosterone running trough the circuitry like ; Tomahawk, Red Dawn, JAWZ XL, Apocalypto, Tzar, Lil Buddha ....

14. giancarlo

giancarlo Producer

Several years ago we decided this naming convention. They are "colors" (english names of colors)
    Anyway in the near future you'll be able to rename them, or even to make a research in aquarius based on user tags

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

slightly offtopic, do we have frequency plots from this and the other acustica plugins?

I was testing amethyst yesterday and could barely get enough gain from the highshelf.

16. Atilla the Plugin.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List