Acustica releases Ruby, a vacuum tube eq made under DW Fearn license (VT-5)

Discussion in 'Software News' started by SoundForSoul, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Blorg

Blorg Producer

You don't mind salesmen pretending to be satisfied users, without so much as
    "Disclosure: I'm trying to *SELL YOU* this shit, I'm a DEALER, I want your money lol,"
    but I should explicitly state that "opinions in my posts are my own"? Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
    Which you did not:winker:
    That's the only thing my post talks about. If I wanted to say "This product is shit, don't buy it"? That's exactly what I would've said :)

2. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

My bad man, i must've overlooked your post, lol. All good. I just found it a bit over the board to roast them over something where Waves, Slate and other companies alike keep the no.1 spot in terms of marketing bs.

3. Blorg

Blorg Producer

No worries:like:

4. Your Blorgness, the thing about the Fearn VT-4/5 (the 4 is the mono version) is not solely the fact that it is a passive eq and should in theory be a no brainer to create. It is modeled after a passive eq, but one that sounds really great due to the tube circuit that the signal is passing through. Jensen transformers add harmonic distortion that color the signal in a pleasing way and the curves of the filters, which I believe are a little different than Pultecs, are sweet to my ear and are nice to work with. I only got to use one once a long time ago around 2001 or so (edit: not 1994) and remember carving a beautiful fretless bass sound in a busy mix with a bunch of guitars, a drum kit and like what seemed a million background vocal tracks as well a a djembe thrown in for good measure (cut the shit out of the bottom end of said djembe and pushed the highs until it sounded like a bongo, LOL) . If this Ruby comes millimeters close in sound as that many thousand dollar hardware unit and someone has the cash to plunk down on this software version, it could be money well spent and make someone really happy. It even could be used to color a signal without boosting or cutting any frequencies.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2018
  5. The basic relationship between you and the maker of a plugin you want.

Resistance is futile.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. Blorg

Blorg Producer

^^^
    [​IMG]
    Analogue VST goodness "modeled" on 90s hardware "modeled" on 50s/60s hardware? Too much is never enough...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Torrao

Torrao Platinum Record

Don't see the problem here. These plugins are modelled after certain hardware units and their price is always based in a small percentage of what real units do. Those units are expensive as hell and thus are premium products. Think of these VSTs as premium products as well, and you know which audience is targeted at. Official licenses also add money, wheter you know the brands/artists or not.

If you don't want to buy them, then don't. There's plenty of alternatives out there. The believers will be happy and the non-believers will be happy as well mocking the believers (and/or the company).

Just use your ears, they're in your head for a reason.

8. Blorg

Blorg Producer

Thought OP's pitch was hilarious; had a good laugh. Not a problem.
    That's why a virtual '55 Gold Top costs more than a virtual Mexican Strat. Expensive things are harder to model.
    Won't lie, money spent for the privilege of using a name/picture is money well spent. Without that name/.png, how would a pro producer know she's making a prudent investment, huh? Now, lesser VSTs foolishly squander that money on devs, or simply charge you less (which ruins the sound). Clueless rubes.
    Rock on! :phunk:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  9. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

@Blorg

Have you ever really worked with Nebula/Acustica? Some people just dont have a well developed ear to hear differences between certain technologies. No disrespect meant, just saying....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Blorg

Blorg Producer

Others could hear the difference between $10 and $1,800 digital cables. Just sayin'...

11. Torrao

Torrao Platinum Record

I guess that is a fancy "no" :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

good point @Von_Steyr >>> and we do hear these difference with ease :mates:... its much more understandable wen you own or have used a Really good Analogue EQ like my GML 8200... lets just say i can do insane cuts and boost and it sounds as if it was there or never there to begin with... i do most of my EQ on the way in an Compression too... but i know my tools and what im trying to achieve sound wise for the sake of not doing so much after ;) >>> If i have to do some surgery on something i get from a client most of the time i use my hardware... it just sounds better to me... if i keep it in the box i trust Acustica Audio to give me the closest to what i would get if i send it outboard ;) i know thier are some great plugin Algo EQ's but honestly i never use them ... i use something sound better to my ears... and ill repeat it lol what sounds best to me thats what we all should do>>> whatever you like \m/

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  13. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Yes sir.
    It takes time and practice to be able to hear differences between average, good and great gear.
    Remember when i`ve claimed Slate was alpha and omega, lol, and then you and Will introduced me to Nebula and Acustica?
    Been a believer since then. :mates:

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. Blorg

Blorg Producer

Of course. I also never tried this[​IMG], for roughly the same reason :)

15. Satai

Satai Rock Star

I don't like the prices & paying through the nasal for the red box PNG , instead of paying beer money to independent Nebula devs (DIY culture that basically got bulldozed by Acustica in favour of proprietary Aqua-based products ), but I like the Nebula sound without a doubt. :thumbsup:

16. Blorg

Blorg Producer

Whoa... make insane cuts? with mad precision?
    [​IMG]
    Are you a wizard?

17. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

@Evorax
    Nice to see you active again. :)

18. Now you are mixing (pun intended) apples and oranges. Differences in cable can be be a very subtle difference whereas the difference in the sound of Acoustica stuff compared to the vast majority of plugins can be pronounced or have virtually none at all. Try them out for yourself otherwise your statements don't hold much weight. If you hear no difference after using them then I don't know what to tell you, brother. Some people prefer the sound of hardware, some software...there is no accounting for taste. Some people combine the two, whatever gets one from A>B. Not hearing any difference is another thing entirely.

19. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

in fact i was...>>> now i teach em \m/ you mix with your eyes or your ears ??? SO !!! now that we've seen your work ... i would love to hear it ;)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  20. Torrao

Torrao Platinum Record

Well, contrary to that cable, you can actually trial most Acustica Audio plugins for 30 days with no restrictions. Then you can make an empirical decision about if they are worth your money or not

Also, not all of their plugins cost the same. Most of their channel strips have separate modules so you actually pay for an EQ, Compressor, preamp, and full strip plugins. Some of them are as low as 100€. Then, there are the dealers who easily knock off a 20-30% of total price. Then you got the Black Friday sales that usually adds another 20% discount (stackable).

Or you could just continue making blank statements about stuff you haven't even tried just because it's expensive... Or maybe because it's not in the sister site (wink, wink)

Just sayin'

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List