Acustica releases Ruby, a vacuum tube eq made under DW Fearn license (VT-5)

Discussion in 'Software News' started by SoundForSoul, Feb 1, 2018.

1. That sounds expensive too.

2. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

I mean the temporal value of this information, these are news.

3. That's OK Oly, I was being a deliberate dork. Can't you tell the difference? :hillbilly:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

you'd be shell shocked too if you spent any time moderating the "Z" ... :bleh:

5. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

want to trial their shit but that aquariussoftware is shit

6. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

This is concerning to me. Getting ready to do a PC upgrade, and I think I'm going to end up in authorization hell because of this.

7. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

well actually tried to trial Amethyst before but gave up,
    intalled the new software and now that excact plugin is there but no ruby

8. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Dont do that. Oly is sort of a celebrity. He played in all three Back to the future movies and still has time to mod our forum. Hey Oly, can i have my Oh La La back? :hillbilly:
    [​IMG]

9. giancarlo

giancarlo Producer

You can download and authorize things manually... But if aquarius is working on your system it automates all manual actions, and you are updated easily and incrementally

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

yeah i do the hybrid install lol >>> download the plugin an install >>> open DAW as admin >>> open the plugin after scan >>>close DAW >>>Run aquarius >>>done.... \m/

11. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

yikes! are you a representative? sorry for my harsh words, we are not used too that.

I tried downloading the trial manually but it comes up unauthorised, the .ser procedure isn't really explained anywhere I can find.
    I did a search on my pc but didn't found a new one. (did found one for N4 but no luck uploading that)

but thanks for your response anyway

Tried that, did find Amethyst there.

When I look at the site, under the My Last Ten Orders Tab, I see all the products I'd like top try but only Amethyst and n4 have the payment checkox checked.

12. giancarlo

giancarlo Producer

Nevermind, I understand you
    Simple trial procedure:

In aquarius, top right gear settings, coupons:
    Use code
    LASTTRIALS

It will add the 4 most recent products to your account.
    You can download them manually, or install them from purchased page. We'll add also other ones to the same code this incoming week with next aquarius update

13. Blorg

Blorg Producer

Marketing Lady: Oh, stewardess! I speak marketing pitch,
    Randy: Oh, good!
    Translation: coded some stuff; marketing came up with some legit-sounding names & acronyms. Don't use them -- no one but our marketing dept. will know what you're talking about.
    And by "sweetness,": we mean use your imagination & fill in the blanks. Start with "that really cool thing that makes my bangerz make all the girlies wanna scream," and take it from there.
    We have to say famous, because you have no idea WTF thet are. In other words, because they're not.
    In other words, about as much as 5 of these HDMI cables?
    Sounds good to me.
    I save ~4500%?! A bargain at twice the price!
    But I'd be wrong?
    Thanks for the heads-up, Impartial Reviewer :)

14. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

thanks, but the coupon is not accepted. it says: coupon not accepted / bad password after removing the whitespaces/spacebars

15. Marketing/advertising is an evil necessary in the current paridigm to differentiate ours from theirs, to want you to want, and to think for the consumer so that they blindly spend without having to actually think critically about a product. In this case however, Acoustica stuff reality is the real shit, amazingly good stuff and so don't need the gobblygoop and the bullshit. I would market on merit and merit alone if that was my responsibility and was directing this aspect of the company. In this case honesty and integrity would bring in the shekels by themselves. No need to con down.

16. Blorg

Blorg Producer

Is it even possible to make a bad VST EQ? I mean, hasn't been anything groundbreaking in digital filter design, and (unless @Fudsey Plange is mistaken) this thing is "modeled" after a passive LC EQ. Back in the day, passive EQs existed because cheap & impossible to mess up.
    A typical guitar amp tone stack (RC): [​IMG] ...a fancier LC variant: [​IMG] -- dirt simple.
    The same circuits still exist today for roughly the same reasons, and also: audiophiles (who don't quite grasp that their passive EQs, with hand-wound, unobtanium double-C-cored chokes and caps blessed by Buddhist monks causes as much phase shift as a $5 equivalent.
    See: HDMI cable above.
    So, $225 for a VST EQ:woot: I'm not running a $tudio (where I'd have to give clients what they want, regardless of it not making sense), but (to tie in with the jazz thread) allow me to quote a Jazz great, who used ONLY passive EQ on her recordings:

"Twenty-five cents? Ha! No! No!
    I wouldn't pay twenty-five cents to go in NOwhere, 'cause listen here" --Bessie Smith

17. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

So much bash for a company that has to exist, eat, pay the bills, pay the employees, survive.

They have to compete with the other big plugin companies in terms of marketing trend and whatnot, but when it comes to the actual product and their true effort and expenses put in the development of these plugins, they actually deserve every penny. They're sampling their own pieces of hardware that no one gave it to them for free, even modified ones with swapped tubes and stuff. You have no idea how many times Giancarlo (the Acustica founder btw) couldn't stress enough to say on most of them forums: "Try it for yourself, give it a go and decide if you like it or not". He's not trying to shove anything down somebody's throat, if you test his stuff and you realize it doesn't worth your dough, move on and pass.

But if you take a minute and compare Acustica to other Devs, in terms of demoing, They're one of the few who gives a fully functional 30days trial version of the plug with no limitations that can truly help someone to decide if they like/need it or not. I hate the bad demoing process of some companies that involves signal cutouts, auto-bypass, random noises and stuff.
    I bought many plugins from them, i also tested many too and i found some i like more and some that i like less. But the thing here is, if you have high-end monitors that gives you a true perspective of the sound that's coming out of your computer, you'll actually find out that if you're aiming for the best quality you can get in the box then you'll hear the livelier and thicker sounds you get with these unique-tech plugins when you compare them side by side with algos. I'm not debating about if the end listener will hear the same details as you do on your monitors, i'm debating about if you hear *that* something that tells you the plugin A sounds better than the plugin B for the music that you make. In the end, you're the one to decide. Unless you wrote all that post in the name of the morons.

Evorax

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Blorg

Blorg Producer

So does every company. But not every company pimps their stuff with reps posing as satisfied customers on social media
    [​IMG]
    Yes, what the world really needs is another VST EQ. Because no other digital EQ sweetens the highs in that speshul analogue way this does. So buy 5, they're small :)

19. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Call me a moron, but i disagree. Not that "the world needs another vst eq", but if you have the chance to replace the basic stuff with higher quality tools and if that's what someone's looking for, they demo, decide (higher quality or not), buy. You can't decide for someone else to say if he Does or Does-Not need to consider either higher quality in his arsenal or either if he requires that kind of upgrade to make his music better.

Saying "no one needs another EQ, or a better EQ than the ones they already own" you should flag it in brackets as: "(subjective/completely personal opinion), because not everyone is on the same page.
    Even a huge studio that's still based on analog processing for most of the mixing duties, they still use more than one EQ. Pultec, console-built-in, Massive-Passive, Maselec, Baxter, etc. The same goes with the compressors. And what does the "ITB" mixers do? They also use more than one EQ inside their DAW, emulations of the same range of analog EQs. Emulations are based on either algorithmic or dynamic-impulse responses (the kind of Acustica's tech). If someone used to mix with their algos for a long time and they eventually come across to try the Acustica tech, trying and realizing it does a better job (*for themselves*) than the ones they used to own, deciding to go for the investment, then where's the problem?

No one has to convince someone about something in particular. Try before you buy. The marketing "written content" is irrelevant. Ultimately, use your ears.

20. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

use any VST EQ you wana use...then use a Real hardware EQ... Then try Acustica Audio EQ's ... enough said ;) not even the same Tech as Algos... its not modeled at all...its sampled big difference

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018