Acustica Audio to release Sienna: The mixing plugin you've been waiting for

Discussion in 'Software News' started by morris, Mar 14, 2021.

1. morris

morris Ultrasonic

no.png

Who else just wants them make their stuff cpu friendly?

EDIT: I missed out the word headphone. it's a headphone mixing plugin

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  3. Ariel Gonzalez

Ariel Gonzalez Platinum Record

unless they changed their coding methods... i don't think it will happen soon

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. mrichi

mrichi Producer

Instead of trying to create hype. Why not release the product. If it is good, word will spread better & faster than any hype.

Low CPU usage, non-buggy, fair price. All that is needed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I can't see shit. I hope the plugin has a better GUI than that.
    I swear with some of these it seems like holding a picture of a beautiful lady in front of you face while they **** you in the *** :rofl:

6. Ballz

Ballz Producer

IMO, as long as the GUI is organized I couldn't care less how it looks. I mix music with my ears not my eyes...

7. mrichi

mrichi Producer

Caught White Sea Studio review this morning. Not impressed at all.

We use up time & funds to get a good listening environment & mix position. Now software developers want us to add these artifacts back using headphones which in no way represent true open air acoustics. Snake oil at it's finest!

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Ballz

Ballz Producer

It's something you have to demo to make a fair judgement on. The YouTube video audio is completely useless... It has correction for the specific headphones he was using lol. I've been using Sienna and it sounds great and if you use guru with proper settings there is definitely no artifacts. My room is treated and I have pretty good monitors. I'm able to get my mixes to translate about as well as my monitors and I haven't even put much time into learning the sound of Sienna. Sienna is definitely not snake oil. If it sounds bad you either have shit headphones, a shit headphone amp, or both...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. My studio was recently flooded and it will be at least 2 months before I'm up and running again. In the meantime, I have a pair of ATH-M50X, AKG 702 and Sennheiser 25's. I tried mixing a track using only the 702's. It wasn't alive. It had no depth of perception. I dropped Sienna onto the master, selected my cans, picked a room and used the Guru function and obtained space and clarity. The spectrum of frequencies weren't just linear in my head, they were in a unique location which made mixing choices vastly easier.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  10. dUb83

dUb83 Guest

long story short,i tried almost any headphone plugins including sienna,and the best bet is knowing your headphones+canopener...

11. dUb83

dUb83 Guest

and Metric AB for referencing:wink:

12. Voekit

Voekit Producer

Yea, it's shit, but I still bought it.

13. mrichi

mrichi Producer

I did fair judgement by reviewing the video which translates fine through my monitors. I can hear everything from the bleed of his control room to the mild sibilance from his microphone & possibly processing.

I also noticed something he did not mention was the slow response while making changes to settings.

I know where my headphones & speaker differ. This allows me to be mindful of wear frequencies are while making panning & EQ choices.

Learning your headphones is done by listening to "reference mixes". Well recorded & regarded music that you are familiar with.

In the end. what matters is what comes out of the speakers, not the headphones.

Having had the pleasure of being in many A Room studios, I know for a fact that these plugins sound nothing like what you would experience there. Then there is the house engineers preferred mixing level. Louder levels lead to room compression. The sound can't go anywhere so, you get a natural "glue" to the sound. This is how many rock mixers like it. Loud & Proud.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  14. groove

groove Kapellmeister

I buy it because I am a good customers so 35 % off + price on start = 49 euros for me so I buy also vol c because all hifi car system also ... this plugin is marvelous the best correction I have ... exactly the sound I heard on my dt770 pro and reproduce on any system as I heard in my mixing session....
    Just one word bye bye Sonarworks and their software now I've a good reference headphone and thanks acustica...

15. In one long winded opinionated view you discount 99% of listeners who do not listen to studio monitors. This plugin and it's bridging between headphones and control rooms is meant to cross that bridge. Nobody cares about "the pleasure" of your many A rooms. This is not for you. It is for the listener. I also find your reverence for reference mixes to be a part of the metastasizing of the stagnation of mastering output. No wonder nobody moves forward when all you do is match an existing mix.
    Oh, and the slow response is loading an entire new set of spatial measured responses. Sorry it's not instant.

16. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

As much as i respect AA, these type of plugins are imo snake oil. Can you get good results with this? Sure, but headphones are a very tricky thing.
    The sound signature of your headphones ( less so with monitor speakers) gets wired to your brain and this is why when you change your headphones it will take some time to get used to the new sound signature and your mixes wont translate well, this transition is easier when changing monitor speakers.
    But then again, some people could work with it, i just think the majority will be disappointed with it.

17. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

Akg headphones have a tricky equalization, all of them k701 ( too thin), k702 ( too wide), k712 ( too warm) and k812 ( just weird equalization). K702 should be the most analytical but it also has the biggest sound stage of all, in a fake kind of way and a mix on any headphones is usually lacking in cross talk dynamics, its very tricky.

18. spncart

spncart Producer

The GUI of their plugins sucks. Even Acquarius sucks. It looks like it was made in the 1990s.

Overrated brand.

19. mrichi

mrichi Producer

If you read carefully, I, mentioned reference mixes as well recorded & regarded mixes. This was the standard before the digital age and, continues today. What you, are referring to is comparing one song to another. That is not what I, was referring to.

You get to know your speaker/monitor & headphones by listening to your normal daily intake & favorite music in a relaxed manner. Getting comfortable & making mental notes of things that are lacking or that stick out. By the end of a week or two you should have a firm grasp on what can be expected from those listening sources.

In the glory days of large format studios, A Room, B Rooms & C Rooms had those designations for good reasons. C Rooms were most often used for pre-production & non-critical work if there was no separate suite for that purpose.

You & anyone else is welcome to use such crapware and, of course I do not wish to use such crapware.

As for the response time of the plugin, it is the normal Acustica lag. It was with most of the controls if not all. Some worse than others. This has been my experience with Acustica except for the once available plain interface plugins.

Audio Damage also had graphics performance issues that eventually got corrected. The Elevate Bundle from Eventide also has a graphics optimization problem (possibly the entire engine).

If it will not run on my Quadro, it is uninstalled & possibly revisited at a later time.

P.S. we are all wind bags.....

20. I will tell you one probable difference between us. I was born in the 1950's. Change was always a part of my world. I accepted everything that at first seemed like an obstacle, just as the motor car must have seemed to the horse. But here I am in my 8th decade of music and I am open to all change. I work with it. I do not call anything crapware in its first week of release. Nobody will have a long career in music with such a closed mind. I try to be succinct. Sorry if you think me a windbag.

21. mrichi

mrichi Producer

Your last point first. I stated that we are all windbags because of your reference to being long winded. It is true, we are all wind bags. LOL

I was born in 1958 and grew up listening to all kinds of music and learned early to discern the difference between good music, average music and, plain trash. This led my older brother & myself to become audiophiles at an early age which stayed with me when I became a musician & later an audio engineer.

We all have similar as well as very unique experiences which form are understanding & opinions.

I believe in giving developers a fair go. I just refuse to snap up whatever is put in front of me because it is company A or company B. either the product is quality, useful & worth the purchase or, the opposite in some regard.

Sony was once a brand that people bought without a second thought. Now where are they? Hype could not overcome the lack of quality & usefulness.

Cheers and happy tracking!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021