Acustica Aquarius

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Von_Steyr, Apr 30, 2018.

1. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Sry to hijack a bit, but Ima thinking of getting exact same thing, similar reasons. Can you give me mobo / GFX card / RAM / cooling etcs recd as well? Ima build it myself if I ever get around to it! =) Main problem for me is finding enough SATA slots for the billions of SSD I got filled up w/ libs =(

2. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I got the Gigabyte GA-Z370-HD3P. Has two m2 slots + 6 sata slots, so you can basically have 8 storage devices.
    Also has a PCI slot which is very rare for a modern mobo, supports usb 3.1 gen 2 and usb-c type.
    Cooling, will try my current cooler, if not will get a water cooler. Still havent bought RAM and GFX since i wont have time for a build till July.

As long as its a Z370 chipset you should be fine with the 8700k.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Cool. I thought you lost ~2/3 SATA slots when using M2 (?), but that sounds like a good start (having 6 slots is pretty rare when i looked). Guess we might be building @ same sort of time!

• List
  4. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Oh, i didnt know. Will build a 2nd server/farm pc for kontakt libraries as well so i wont have a problem with storage.
    Happy building :)

5. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

exactly this.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Checked out my mobo manual. Using an M2 PCIE SSD wont disable any sata slots.
    Using an M2 Sata SSD disables one sata slot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Hey mate :) On your board, the second PCI-E x16 slot (looks like a x16 slot but actually runs at x4) shares bandwidth with the second M2 slot. Installing a pci-e (nvme) ssd on that m2 slot (named M2Q_32G) will disable that second pci-e x16 slot.
    For @famouslut , if you can wait a few months, i believe by August or September the 9700k will appear and all rumors tend to agree it will be 8 core. It seems also it will be Meltdown free, so it might be worth the wait. Intel is playing catch up with AMD on the core count for the main platform, end users may benefit from this if they buy smart.
    Cheers

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

thats a good solid build you got goin @Von_Steyr :cheers:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

I know we 're straying off topic but you will find you won't need a second pc, just max the board with 4x16gb ram sticks. I have a 7700k with 64gb ram, i have tested projects with 40-50 Kontakt instruments (mainly premium orchestral libs) in Cubase 9.5 and Sonar Platinum, cpu was laughing at me @ 30% realtime performance and ram was at 60-65%. If you need more than this i'd swear you are this guy lol:
    mozart-in-the-jungle-season-3.jpg

10. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

64gb wont be enough, we are talking about an "all you can eat " cubase type of template with a lot more than a hundred kontakt libraries and its presets/vst synths preloaded for fast work and i will need the main 64gb plus additional 128gb of ram.
    Took me three weeks to make the template, most libraries are frozen, waiting for ram so i can unfreeze them.

11. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Fek you must be doing soundtrack work i guess. I do run secondaries in the studio but nothing as big. I still have some hardware i do rely on. The only peeps i know that need this much ram are the peeps from the VSL forum (and you of course heheh). Some of these guys are excellent orchestral composers/arrangers.
    Aquarius will complement all these nicely man. Great and expensive choices m8, i hope it is worth it.
    All the best

12. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Thank you my friend.
    Dipping my toes, or should i say my feet into that territory, its a big world and you need big toys to play. :)
    I wish RAM prices werent so damn high right now :/

13. hzk

hzk Noisemaker

illégal en europe, le transfert doit être possible... thener when you buy one... you must contact
    lawyer ^^ in case...