Acustica and how funny it all is... smh.

Discussion in 'Software' started by PHASE360, Dec 13, 2023.

1. Pat22

Pat22 Member

Ram is only for sample instruments , you can run any plugin with a 5+ year old good PC or MAC without much difference . Thought you would answer M2 ... lol I dont like MACs due to your point ( technology that gets old quickly , not so upgradable , OS is weird , sometimes not upgradable also and much more bullshit ) . I want to build a new PC but im so bored to do it . 3000+ for sure but for latest technology is way cheaper than a MAC . Regards .

2. Pedra Sofia

Pedra Sofia Ultrasonic

plugins are great when working m1 samona, too bad acustica shut the site down and slapped who ever was uploading the Mac versions..it seems that everyone is ok with PC versions shared but not Mac versions., which is something people are talking about solving themselves soon.

3. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

the only break we all going to get is R2R taking a break from releasing them now. 2 days already. :deep_facepalm:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  4. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

With the IR tech used to create those plugs there really is no "in between" the numbered settings on the GUI because there is no impulse response present to effect a change. It's completely psycho-acoustic to be "hearing a change at any in-between frequency" other than the ones marked. Even though in some cases the knobs may appear to be continuously adjustable. For ex. - take two settings of 1.0kHz and 2.5kHz marked on a GUI. There are two IR response files (for your given system clock rate, i.e. in most cases 44/96khz, or if you're lucky 44/48/88/96kHz) for those two frequency settings, but NONE for anything in between. So no matter what the "knobs" or "switches" look like on the GUI you will only be only able to act upon those two center frequencies because there are no IR files between them to make anything happen. That's what I mean by you only get a ghost of whatever the hardware really was... And for 1-200€ a pop it's a buyers choice whether that deep of an investment is worth the trouble or not.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2023
  5. clone

clone Audiosexual

Aside from a control on the plugin's interface for Oversampling options; what parameter and settings do you think need more than 1 IR to affect?

6. RajuPalliBabu

RajuPalliBabu Ultrasonic

You guys complained so much about irrelevant "giancarlo did this and giancarlo didnt do that", that the goodies stopped coming :(

7. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

My guess would be (for EQ) an IR for each freq setting in the ranges spec'ed out on the gui among others... EX. on an EQ, dial in 2.5Khz on freq select (which references the IR for that freq) then you have boost/cut,Q, etc from there. I would think the same would go for things like ratio selectors, filters, etc, on a comp/limiter... Mainly, I would think there would be an IR for any major MODE function/setting of the hardware that was to be kept unique, or else the whole purpose is kind of moot, yes? Things like boost/cut/Q on an EQ would probably be a standard piece of code linked to an appropriate control, not an IR. Unless of course there were special properties (or harmonics) exhibited by the hardware when executing a boost/cut/Q, threshold change, ratio selection,etc that needed to be captured in order to maintain uniqueness of the device... I would base this all on the giant piles of content in the common files folders (the IR's) for any given plugin and the granularity of the controls. It seems the more complex the control functionality suggested by the GUI's for any given plugin the more IR files (.N2S ??) seem to accumulate in common files... Like I said it's just a guess, but seems logical.

I will say that most of the controls on the eq's I have tested are very accurate as to what they are supposed to be doing. Like filtering, or boost/cut's at the displayed freq's etc...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2023
  8. clone

clone Audiosexual

It also seemed logical to a lot of AA customers that they were purchasing plugins that were 10X the size they needed to be for a reason. So I wouldn't really just take anything like this for granted, at all. You have the audio hitting the input side of the plugin. Some IR is applied to the audio, and then it is output to the rest of the components in the signal chain. Do we all now believe each component is modeled directly from the hardware? Why? That's almost exactly what the Harrison guys were going back and forth with Dan Worrall over in their little youtube videos. I agree with your conclusion in the post I quoted, but I do not think how you arrived at it is necessarily accurate.

9. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Well, all the marketing hype from acustica would indicate to a potential buyer that their plugins are captured from real hardware, unless otherwise stated. I have great reservations about this as well. Other than that it's all just speculation.

10. Virtualex

Virtualex Member

The original concept of these plugins involves "imitation" and "copying" of real devices.
    Therefore, it is more correct to talk about the discrete precision of AA plugins; they seem to cope well with this.
    IMHO

What about R2R, did they go on vacation to the hot springs? I hope they don't get cooked ;b

11. clone

clone Audiosexual

It's not that hard to speculate about things when someone has already proven themselves to be a actor in bad faith or dishonesty. To compound that, adding (what they think is) Alan Turing level protection against decryption. That could be seen as an awful lot of work to prevent some people from using your plugin/program without paying for them. It would certainly be understandable if what you were really protecting was some nasty secrets inside. "Volterra Kernels" series sampling methodology for analysis of non-linear systems? Is that the big secret technology? http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Volterra_and_Wiener_series. There is a plugin, in the North Atlantic....

Obviously Dan Worrall is not going to make a video of r2r copies. But what about a group buy? :)

12. Virtualex

Virtualex Member

Group purchase of what?

13. clone

clone Audiosexual

Of an Aqua to test like he did with the Harrison products. You don't suspect he already has any of them.

14. PHASE360

PHASE360 Member

Who is an insider? This thread makes you sick? Oh dear oh dear.

15. PHASE360

PHASE360 Member

Ahahahaha...

16. PHASE360

PHASE360 Member

I am trying to justify reasons not to pay for them? Nope, I am saying... I will not pay for them, and I will not use them at all. Sorry if people got all upset about my post. I have since uninstalled and deleted all the acustica stuff I downloaded. If anyone can recommend something of theirs that is actually good I may give them another chance. I am sorry though, it is just all too clunky and not doing what it claims.

I will try harder not to upset you though with my opinion next time....

17. PHASE360

PHASE360 Member

Well you didn't have to read it. LOL! Why do it to yourself?

18. Dr. Black

Dr. Black Producer

my 2 cents on these "plugins"
    I think Acoustica Audio is way ahead of creating the Hardware into CPU or QPU units for the future.
    Yes, Quantum Processors will be the next level of personal computing.
    So i think they are thinking of the future, and that we have seen with so much plugins that could not work on a atari 2600 lol.
    I have respect for them. Maby in the future we will talk otherways :)

19. baneblast

baneblast Noisemaker

The releases just stopped. The gem i found were the titanium on vocals parallel, sand SSL g buss comp and diamond saturator MS on vocal buss - it's been ride mates

20. Dr. Black

Dr. Black Producer

Acoustica Audio is next levl imo.