Acustica and how funny it all is... smh.

Discussion in 'Software' started by PHASE360, Dec 13, 2023.

1. PHASE360

PHASE360 Member

You know... I tried some Acustica plugs from the sister site. I laughed at STILL how bad it is. I mean come on derive some mathematics to do these EQ curves. Geeesh. For the price and stuff... honestly I just cannot do this. So after awhile I stopped even bothering with downloading them. This might ruffle some feathers and stuff but yikes... their "convolution" technology really is the pits. As if it was ever going to be anything different though. I mean come on, let us just think for a moment. I think the tech might be better for reverbs to be quite honest. But "better" is a subjective term. For example it might benefit a bunch of instruments to use slightly different captures of a reverb (IR) based around one specific set. But honestly, for these performance problems (and for no good reason I might add, there are ways to interpolate EQ curves mathematically without this IR nonsense), I just am flabberghasted. So I give in. I think the funniest thing is when Giancarlo sees how many people COULD be using his software for free and wont... in fact he might have to start paying them to do so. hahahahahahahahaha. Hahahahahaha. Nice one to the crackers and anyone/everyone who helped out along the way. It has been funny af!

EDIT: Btw, yes I have seen posts from StevieDude about the 48khz thing. I oversample in Reaper. It really isn't the issue. It is just... ahahahahahaha. Smh. *Facepalm*. Why?

FURTHER EDIT: Oh also I know convolution is suited to reverbs... ahahaha I mean... A cloud of captures might work out with a certain kind of 3Dness and have something to offer. I dunno... the rest though... yikes.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
    • Disagree x 16
    • Agree x 13
    • Funny x 5
    • Dislike x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • List
  3. PHASE360

PHASE360 Member

I find myself curling over the keyboard giggling just thinking about it all to be honest. What a ride it has all been. Thanks peeps.

• Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. erminardi

erminardi Kapellmeister

I always find it interesting how people go out of their way to find a flamboyant way to demonstrate their relative ignorance in any field by posting such simplistic comments on social media.
    It's one thing to challenge a type of protection that is perhaps penalising for legitimate users, which can therefore be an objective and shareable issue, but it is quite different to shit a single random human out of personal dislike or just for trend and/or denigrate a different system of thinking about building a plugin.
    At this point I think some people really deserve stock algo plugins dressed up as great innovations that have been the same concept for 30 years.

Here are some key concepts to study: magnitude, phase distortion, harmonic distortion, non-linearity, a non-f*****g minimum phase EQ

• Like Like x 14
    • Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  5. BIG BOSS

BIG BOSS Noisemaker

really this plugins is fucking pull shit >>> just name >>

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  6. pokinartso

pokinartso Guest

It's hard to take opinion as valuable of someone who writes "hahaheahueah" multiple times. I get it why people got mad at Acustica but You're just trying to hop in on the hate train. I also think guy did his customers dirty but maybe if You didn't listen on Apple EarPods You would notice a difference. These plugins workflow are absolute trash but You can't deny they sound better than algo (in my opinion).

• Like Like x 17
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • List
  7. clone

clone Audiosexual

makes a new thread to express personal opinion when there are already 3 others about the same thing.

• Like x 11
    • Winner x 3
    • Disagree x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Ryck

Ryck Guest

You've overdone it with drugs

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • List
  9. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Perhaps you are right. :wow:
    I'll PM and see if he can hook me up. :chilling:

10. BlackHawk

BlackHawk Producer

Point is ... Acustica fans are like cult members. Very often. The plugins bring nothing to the table, in fact they sound mediocre at best. At least the ones I tried. And deleted. That EQ bullsh*t is just that: bullsh*t. Explain to me why I should use that over a Pro Q3 or even a Reaeq?

I tried these free acustica things years ago, same results as these days: They do not bring anything to the table. They are clunky. They look like design for kindergarten kids. They behaved plump (OK, that was be a computer related issue, I think). But that is still the case in weird way. Of course it is subjective.

I do not like these toys. I am not convinced that there is anything to it. Overrated and to much colorful meaningless marketing blabbering. They have no "special" technology. It's snakeoil.

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 3
    • Winner x 3
    • Dislike x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • List
  11. BasedPirate

BasedPirate Ultrasonic

If you dont think Acustica Audio products are the best plugins ever, you simply need to upgrade your room and PC. To hear the difference between any other analog modeled plugins and Acustica, you must go to Abbey Road Studios to hear the difference.

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  12. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

I mean... what you say is partially true. If you are listening on KRK's in your living room, as opposed to high end monitors in a treated room, the difference is night and day. Can you mix a record with just pro-q? Sure, but Acustica eq's do bring a depth, tone, width etc that majority of algo's do not offer. Its hard to hear a 5 or even 10% difference in a shitty monitoring situation, but they do add that subtle difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

Yes, you surely can do those curves on FF-Pro Q or even better; your DAW's Stock EQ:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You created a thread to just expose yourself as person that doesn't know anything about filtering, impulse responses, distortion, enphasis/de-emphasis, reamping, dynamic convolution, and so on. Impulse responses of gear are useful just by simulating the sound entering on the AC realm and the bandwith of certain device. The guys from Acustica, and big up for Nebula Third Devs (you are the true heroes of this tech) figured out how to make those captures in a way that the compression and distortion would react to different input levels. IR's by themselves, are linear and don't distort. But the bandwith and the circuit changes depending on how you're feeding the input, and that's all. Nebula goes further and, besides adding those circuit characteristics from the IR's, they simulate the change of the circuit + distortion + compression, and with EQ's, nonlinear filtering. That thing is called dynamic convolution.

You may not give a single shit about this and use you normal algos and don't miss anything. But if you know which sound you want, no matter how close is it to the real deal (before anyone starts with this BS) and a piece of plugin makes it closer to whats in your mind, that thing is useful no matter which brand you're talking. And if it takes your ideas to the next level, just go for it.

Acustica has a lot of crappy plugins for my taste, but they got their gems and i'm making good use of them :chilling:

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • Love it! x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • List
  14. Pasi

Pasi Audiosexual

Oh, another Acustica thread...and how bad they are..

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  15. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

LOL. acustica plugins suck!!!

they sound like a toddler coded it using a dial up internet modem and morse code + SMOKE signals, leaving your mixes covered in ASH.

I thought i had stumbled upon some GOLD when i found Acustica, instead i was left with WATERed down basses, and thin COFFEE colored mixes.

I was hoping for some HONEY to sweeten my sounds, and instead got a SALTy taste in my mouth, so much so that i had to eat a slice of PUMPKIN pie with some JAM to get in the mood to work again.

One of their plugins even caused the BROWN note to come out in my mix.

The CHERRY on top? I was really counting on acustica plugs to turn me into some sort of MYSTIC superproducer, instead i am calling it early and going to bed at MIDNIGHT. Hopefully i dont dream of TIGER's and LAVA tonight and instead am running through TULIP fields with ERIN and JADE

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • List
  16. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Rock Star

I rather use my EARS when i do music then rely on mathematic as math cant keep up with the human ear.
    Mathematic is good but very rarely keep up with reality i can count thousands of thing where people say "math proves it" and i say realty say otherwise
    But that said i use Nebula more than their aqua plugins it still require lots of tweakings but the end result is above every algorithmic plugin

17. daval

daval Ultrasonic

boring post, wasted another five minutes reading this shit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. macros mk2

macros mk2 Platinum Record

Nebula is the way to judge this tech, from the third party devs who actually do cool stuff. Cupwise has echo chambers and plates and springs that kill and he just did a distortion which is also awesome. tim pethericks shit is all good, like all of it and he's made phasers and choruses that sound fucking amazing too. alex's new GE shit is also the bee's knees. and azzimov is a pro skin designer thats slowly skinning everything available pretty much. that's all my opinion of course, i stopped downloading the acustica stuff a while ago. the only thing i've found i've been using at all is the Ash.

Dunno i think Nebula is more interesting by far, its obviously way cooler. comparing crazy solo developers who spend countless hours recording samples through hardware and tweaking software to acustica with their boring repetitive lineups and terrible customer service, it's night and day. acustica instead of i dont know, working with the third party devs who are pushing the technology via nebula obviously just tried to maximize profits while talking out of their assholes. giancarlo came up with a cool tech imo, that's about all i can give him credit for. it must be embarrassing for him that the third party guys smoke his own company in terms of value and quality, which is probably why they're supposedly abandoning nebula. i swear acustica couldn't make like a decent decision to save their fucking lives.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  19. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

Every company has non critical fanboys.
    Acustica, Slate digital, Fabfilter etc, but i must say that maybe Acustica has the most.
    They like to hype their products while in reality when comparing some of their own plugins there is minimal difference.
    When you get experienced in mixing and sound design you can get a sound you are looking for with a lot of plugins, even freebies and stock plugins, it all comes down to experience.
    Nebula AlexB, Tim Petherick and Cupwise are still at the top. Nebula gives you the weight and thickness that only some AA plugins are capable of but they hype the Aqua plugins way more simply because for them this is more profitable, most users have no desire to twiddle around with nebula hence they go for the easier and faster approach.
    I was one of the fanboys and the reality is that there comes a point when you become a collector.
    Ask yourself do i really need 100 AA plugins? Of course not. Rediscover the ones you already have and you will realize that you can already do everything with what you have.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  20. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Another one aboout acustica ... Are you guys not bored??

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  21. pratyahara

pratyahara Guest

It's for people who believe they will make their drawing better if they colorize it (especially if the colors were previously used by someone 'special'). Producers who rely on vintage 'branded' makeup.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List