Action in midi editor

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by samsome, Jan 26, 2021.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

Basically I want to do the same thing that the left mouse click does...........but with a keyboard button....

can you tell me any action that would do that?...

for example grabbing a midi note and moving it elsewhere, but instead of clicking and dragging with a mouse i wanted to press a keyboard button to do that

3. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Well no, that's not the sort of thing you can set an Action or macro for.
    More things like 'Split at zero points in selected audio', or 'Quantize selected MIDI to...'.
    Grabbing a MIDI note and moving it is not a programmable action. How would it know where you wanted it moved, if you had to set up an action prior? You see?

4. In macro writing, there is often no straightforward solution and creative methods must be used.

The first tool is equipped with image recognition, maybe he can use that possibility and does his job. It also has programming capabilities. You can define many activities as a program combining mouse and keyboard clicks and many more.

5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

:woot: How would you move a note left, right, or up and down with a keyboard? With black and white keys? That can't work.

6. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

I'll interpret your 'keyboard button' as meaning computer keyboard? (a bit ambiguous)

Have you explored your DAW to see whether this is already available.

For example(s) - Logic and Reaper

In (old) Logic on PC - In Matrix Editor or Event List view
    ALT-[arrow keys] moves selected notes in predictable way - up,down,left,right

In Reaper
    Same as above but using Ctrl-[arrow keys]

Of course you still need to select a note first (mouse click) but after selecting you can move using keys
    In some views, moving from one selected note to another could be via arrow keys too.

And all those keyboard actions would be customisable.
    the actions are pre-defined in the DAW - just assign different key combinations to perform those actions.

---

Update-edit:

Just took a look at Reaper instead of working from fuzzy memory.
    What I said above is true, but Reaper lists the following as its main key controls for this kind of stuff.
    The Numeric Keypad... 8,2 (up down) 4,6 (left right)
    and those keys have ALT+ options which affect how far items move.

If you wanted to customise the keys, note that the relevant Actions show the NUM keys by default. The Ctrl+(arrow keys) don't get a mention in the Actions list. I suspect (in ignorance) that those Ctrl+key combinations might even be hard coded into the piano roll editor (and the up down in the event list)
    ---
    Also just confessing that when I first replied I hadn't noticed this was a Reaper thread,
    so it was just lucky coincidence that I mentioned Reaper at all.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  7. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Unless I'm not understanding, this seems redundant because you'd be using two hands to do what you could originally do with one.
    One to click the button and one to move the mouse.
    I can't think of any action like that in Reaper but there are a LOT and I don't know them all.
    Reaper's MIDI editor has it's own Action list so maybe check that out.

Other than that maybe a system wide app like NeatMouse, X-Mouse or even AutoHotKey.
    Maybe also check out SWS or lua scripts

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual