Acousticsamples releases: B-5 Organ for UVI

Discussion in 'Software News' started by theDingus, May 9, 2016.

1. theDingus

theDingus Audiosexual

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. noise.maker

noise.maker Platinum Record

Yay. One cool sample library in awhile.:like:

4. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

:shalom:holy shit,sounds great!
    AS rock :)

5. westfinch

westfinch Platinum Record

I would totally buy this today, but ILOK stops me.

6. sideman

sideman Newbie

ILOK - I know what you mean. However, I couldn't resist and finally broke down and bought it. Current price is 69E and worth it if you have picky ears and/or a lot of hours playing real Hammonds and have that sound burned into your brain. This plugin is notably better than GSI's VB3, which has been my go to for several years. It is also 64 bit OSX compatible, so no need to wrap it like the VB3. Seems a bit CPU hungry, and similar in that way to VB3. The only real weakness is the Leslie emulation -- not good. I'm using the DI output setting and running through Logic Pro X's "Rotary" plugin, and that result is outstanding. Highly recommended if you use some kind of Leslie workaround. :wink:

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

or you can use Amplitube 4, which is great :)

8. Wurlie Rocker

Wurlie Rocker Producer

I watched the comparison with Logic X Hammond the other day and B-5 didn't convince me. Both beat Arturia B3 into dust though. I liked Logic one that much, it was for the first time I've thought of acquiring a Mac.

9. Mike3345

Mike3345 Newbie

I think the B-5 Leslie is amazing. Sounds like a record. Other Leslie sims are more hyped special effects.

10. westfinch

I have a friend who made the plunge, so I got to use B5 at his place for awhile. It does have those amazing brilliant sounds that VB3 doesn't seem to have. So I eq'd VB3 with a little more high end, and it brought out those wonderful overtones. I am still not buying because of ILOK, but I do like B5's key clicks and bass sounds. The distortion winner is VB3 by a mile. Vb3's leslie can also be manipulated much more than B5. B5 leslie cannot be adjusted on slow to fast acceleration or visa versa. I think B5 would be good to have in my arsenal, but VB3 would still be my main go to. If GSI ever gets VB3 version 2 out, it will totally leave B5 in the dust. I have heard version 2 on their hardware machines and it is killer!!

11. LV4-26

LV4-26 Guest

B4 do the same :deep_facepalm:

12. Mike3345

Mike3345 Newbie

It's amazing how good VB3 used to sound to me compared to the other junk. Since B5, VB3 now sounds like a toy, literally.

13. westfinch

Too bad Acoustic Samples has no demos. I really loved their earlier stuff, but audio samples usually do not show enough. It really is a hand's on deal for me. I was impressed by John Mike's you tube comparisons though, which is why I decided to find someone who had it so I could try it out. It is impressive, but what it lacks, VB3 has. What VB3 lacks, B5 has. It's all a matter of taste, and what you want out of it. The Hammond sound has always been a very personal selective one, which makes it so great. Here's to Hammond purists everywhere. :cheers:

14. Mike3345

Mike3345 Newbie

The B5 demos are so narrow. It's like they were afraid to show it off. Spend a little more time at your friend's. B5 has way ballsier distortion than VB3. Try a different Leslie model.

15. westfinch

@Mike3345 Thanx for the suggestion. You are right about spending more time with it. I have been running through the different leslies, but not testing the distortion on each one. You are also right about most Hammond demos. They really don't reveal their leslie (probably because it is crap) and most of the demos are of the Jimmy Smith sound, which uses very little leslie. With me, I want to reproduce those sweet Memphis sounds of Charles Hodges, or Booker T., or the sounds of Steve Winwood, Billy Preston, Cory Henry, Jimmy Greenspoon, and Rod Argent who really define Leslie usage. I have been thinking about an organ shootout on youtube that really demonstrates the depth of these organs without a lot of chatter about nothing. John Mike did a great job on youtube showing B5, Arturia B3 V, and Logic B3, and it was his demo that got me wanting to try B5. Would also like to find time to test different independent leslies with B5.

16. Mike3345

Mike3345 Newbie

I think the B-5 distortion can get as nasty as you'd want to fit in a mix, but it could probably benefit from other kinds of distortion which I'm going to experiment with. VB3 sort of gets you there quicker but it's much flatter. b-5 is alive! Yeah I watched those youtube comparisons carefully and enjoyed John Mike's but your idea sounds even cooler!

17. westfinch

@Mike3345 Already trying to get this started (like I need more to do).

18. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Dont value any of these opinions to be worth a poop unless they've played VB3 v2. Which is only available via hardware. Many shortcomings of v1.4 were addressed.

19. westfinch

Which is what I addressed in another message up above:

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the hardware version of VB3 II to make a comparison on my own, but here is a link where you can hear the VB3 II. Check out the impressive high tones at the end. The new leslie is amazing.

http://www.gsidsp.com/DEMO/mp3/001_Gemini_VB3-II.mp3

From what I have been reading, Guido at GSI is planning to work soon on VB3 II plugin for release.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

My bad didnt see your comment

21. Wurlie Rocker

Wurlie Rocker Producer

May I read it too?

VB3 II shall be the best Hammond, hands down.