Acoustic treatment for sloping room doable?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Qaiss, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Qaiss

Qaiss Ultrasonic

I've caught my eye on a new house and want to setup my new studio room.

But the walls are sloping, how would that effect the acoustic treatment? Is it possible/advised? Or should I just go for a house with normal walls. See picture.
    sleeping rooms.PNG

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Anything that is not parallel is preferable.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. ptpatty

ptpatty Platinum Record

I'm by far not an authority on this but I do know that the worst (small) room to mix in is a perfect square. A sloping wall may be a good thing.

• List
  5. saltwater

saltwater Guest

in general thats advisable in terms of acoustics.
    in terms of insulation, thick and heavy walls are the best.
    generally found in old buildings, but they tend to be weak at the floor and ceiling.

keep an eye on large or long metal parts integrated into the structure, they transmit everything and could be a no go for a studio.

• List
  6. Herr Tony

Herr Tony Producer

you will need to deal with focusing effect, be sure to put more absorption on the narrow angle for it. In theory, it is easier to treat than a square one, but the models to calculate room modes would not apply directly to your room. If the ceilling is tall, it is even better.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  7. Do you mean sloping ceiling? Walls that aren't parallel are fantastic and are easier to tune.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Kinda worry that sloping walls might possibly make room too diffuse, maybe? A la (so-called) reverberation rooms, standing waves. Guess ya can always hang rugs on walls or smthn if they're rly dense, reflective surfaces?

9. Qaiss

Qaiss Ultrasonic

Thanks for the replies guys! I wasn't expecting non parrallel walls would be better.

10. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Like @ptpatty said, worst rooms are with same dimensions.
    Worse is a small cube : same roof height than length and width.
    And with parallel walls... it is even worse ;):wink:

Be careful on ONE thing : non parallel walls on the sides create a different stereo image

good solution to this problem is :
    A - put the angled wall BEHIND, or (better) in FRONT of you (behind monitors)
    B - if not possible, put diffusers on lateral walls. They should solve most non parallel/stereo image troubles :wink:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Qaiss

Qaiss Ultrasonic

Got it, thanks for the tip:like:

12. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

13. DKB

DKB Producer

I live in a townhouse with three floors my studio is in the top floor attic room . I’ve got slopped walls . The wall is 4-1/2 ft tall then goes to slopped roof line . I first set my studio up on one of the slopped sides and instantly got a huge bass build up I then moved my desk on to the wall that was flat and it improved the sound . I’ve built acoustic rock wall panels to cover the whole roof line both sides , the lower part of the walls , front and back walls , two ceiling clouds , bass traps in each corners . I use sonar works room correction software to fix any frequencies problems . You’re image looks a bit like my house except I’ve got three windows at the front of the house with those I’ve put heavy curtains up on the two furthest away and the one new my studio I’ve build a wall panel to cover it over to catch side reflections . Try the gik acoustics room measurement tool I’ve gives you and idea of how many panels you’ll need to build /buy . It’s worth building them you’ll save a lot doing so it only took me a couple of days to build them . When I built my panels I left a 1inch gap at the back so I could put them flat to the wall . The biggest mistake I made was first treating the whole room with foam tiles and that was a complete waste of time and money . I covered the whole room in them and it only treated the high frequencies . Once I did a scan with sonar and found this I ripped the whole lot down and binned them . The only other thing I need now is a few diffuser panels to finish the room , it sounds great now . Just take you’re time to do it properly