acoustic panels / sound treatment

Discussion in 'Studio' started by FellIVTheFake, Aug 31, 2015.

1. FellIVTheFake

FellIVTheFake Noisemaker

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Fuck foam, imho. Go DIY instead (Rockwool, Paroc, skyline diffuser, Helmholtz resonator, etc). Yes, mass is usually good - but you might need to "dial in" on the frequencies that are causing the trouble.
    Most people just buy foam, put them up and says "Done!" without really knowing what they have done in terms of treatment.

Have you measured your room (dedicated small diaphragm omni mic, REW Room EQ Wizard, etc)? Do you know what frequencies are troublesome? Standing waves, etc?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. FellIVTheFake

FellIVTheFake Noisemaker

I guess in my defense this is a low budget home studio. The room is fairly small. I actually haven't actually listed to any music in the room yet ha. But it's about a 10x12 room give or take and I'm using krk 8s I dunno if that helps you determine anything for me. But the question still stands about the foam.

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

DIY is also budget. :) But that's a good price for that foam. And it looks good.

You might have some trouble in the low end ("mud area") after all, since you have 8" woofers and all (and as KRKs are muddy on their own). :) But you might be able to fix that later with some basstraps, if needed.

12 x 10 x 8 :
    http://www.bobgolds.com/Mode/RoomModes.htm

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  6. Willum

Willum Rock Star

7. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Even if you don't buy Auralex products, they still have free tools on their website to help you. http://www.auralex.com/

8. Sorry, not to stir up a shitstorm or anything, but the outfit selling this foam has too perfect a record with absolutely no dissent from any of it's customers. It also does not state if the cells are open or closed cell and give an appropriate fire retardent rating. Many big flags going up concerning everything about this company and the product they are trying to unload. It is way too inexpensive also. Rockwool DIY panels are cost effective and you could follow Mr. Baxter's advice on the bass treatment, but it might be prudent to hold off on this, what to my eye seems less than above board.

9. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Caruso Isobond is an alternative to Rockwoll and you don't have to seal it airtight...

10. FellIVTheFake

FellIVTheFake Noisemaker

My thoughts exactly sunshine that's why I decided to ask to see what you guys think first red flags going up every where

11. rickbarratt

rickbarratt Producer

as posted above read through the aurolex website.

DO NOT BUY CHEAP FOAM. this will be a HUGE fire hazard, as shit on ebay is probably not rated high or tested.

also don't just stick up random bits of shit. work out what you actually need.
    and acoustics is something that you shouldn't budget with, its more important than anything else.

12. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Just a follow up. I do use Auralex tiles. Have them in my closet/vocal booth and I have a shoji style panel screen with some attached that I move around where I need it. (they also work nice as bass drum muffles and cuts noise underneath bubbling buckets, but that's another story.) It's expensive, but it works and it IS fire retardant. Smoke from burning some foams will kill you quickly. Wouldn't be the 1st time wires and something combustible started a fire. Plenty of science on this type of thing, if you search. Stick to science for acoustics.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Producer