Accidentally stumbled across a neat way to make glitchyrecord scratch type sounds

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Cav Emp, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I'm sure this is old news to a lot of you, but I've gotten tons of valuable knowledge from this community so I wanted to share a little nugget I found. And I know there are a handful of people on here who, like me, are still learning and are watching these boards for any bit of useful info. So here's a cool effect

Use any tape emulation delay and automate the delay time. You can get a pretty good range of crazy sounds. Using this idea I've managed to get a lot closer to a record scratch than anything else I've been able to create (i.e. the sampler/drum rack pitching technique with a sample or white noise or whatever). If you use it on drums you can get a lot of nasty crunching sounds too.

3. Thanks, I will give it a go when I get home. Cool share.

4. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

Hmm. I'm working on a project that could use something like this. Maybe I will give it a go. Thanks!

5. machupichu

machupichu Ultrasonic

i managed to make extraordinarily realistic scratchiness on a recorded greek baglama using very heavy automation(rapid drops and curves) of Reaper's playback rate ...drawback was that i had to make a project specific for this(playback speed is global)

6. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Man, I hear so much about all the cool things REAPER can do. When I was trying out every DAW under the sun my excuse was was "well this is a lot to take in with all these crazy menus. Maybe I'll check out an easy one first and get back to this".

Now I've learned my DAWs well and I know that if I try to take up a new one it's just gonna make me even slower at producing/mixing than I already am. I'm dying to try Bitwig and REAPER but the rational part of my brain that knows I just want a new toy to play with is telling me that indulging my novelty craving would get in the way of the bigger picture.

Live is irreplaceable to me for producing but sometimes I daydream about switching from Samplitude for tracking/mixing. On the one hand it can do things that no other DAW under the sun even thinks about (seriously, WHY has nobody else implemented Object oriented editing?! It's a no brainer), but occasionally it just feels kind of clunky. Like it's got so many features that it can barely hold itself upright. I did love S1 but I need a bit bridge. I can't live without Oxford Dynamics and it doesn't take well to JBridge.

Anyway, sorry for the long digression. It is my topic, so I don't mind if you don't :thumbsup:

7. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

Object envelopes are nice addition but not very crucial in my experience, object level effects and volume/panning is possible in other DAWS as well, Reaper has it too. Similarly I remember seeing something similar to the Reaper tempo map in StudioOne.

Back to the topic, although I would love to try it, I am also interested in an audio demonstration to see if I understand correctly the effect you are describing.

8. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I just spent 20 minutes googling because you told me that REAPER can do that :rofl: very cool.

I'll post an example of the effect when I get home from work today.

9. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

edit: I tried to attach the file. It uploaded then told me no file was selected for upload. I guess I'll try and throw it on Soundcloud later. I gotta run to work