About songwriting with EZ Keys.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Niruvana, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Niruvana

Niruvana Kapellmeister

I recently found how to write a song with EZ Keys and watched many Youtube videos about it. In my opinion, it can be ARRANGE, but not can be COMPOSING exactly.

There are patterns in the library and you can cut, paste, changing chords to make a song. It sounds very similar to sampling. The patterns are limited, so the created songs could be similar. If there are more than 10,000 patterns, it could be different story.
    EZ Drummer is really helpful as it doesn't need to make melody.

I am not sure. It is just my opinion. Have I missed something? Can I make really a unique song with EZ Key?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

My cousin can make a unique song with a piece of paper and a comb, so yeah..I think it's possible.
    Let's wait to see what others have to say!

4. Niruvana

Niruvana Kapellmeister

Ye, that is definitely creative, but songs are created by EZ Key may be patterned. Or someone else may be able to make really unique one with that.

5. decksound

decksound Ultrasonic

Best Answer
    Songwriting with EZkeys and songwriting with Ezkeys midi packs are two entirely different things. You can just load the instrument, hit the notes on your keyboard and do your thing. There are no limitations to what you can do with a piano.

But the midi packs, on the other hand, are and will and should always be limited. There could be 10.000 different patterns and that would make it no less limited. In fact, 10.000 patterns would make it even more limiting because then it would mean someone imposing on you not 50, but 10.000 different patterns.

I like it that there are so few midi patterns in each pack. You can just use the basic forms, send them to your sequencer, edit to your liking and polish them to fit your own original song. With a little bit of tweaking they end up unrecognizable and they should; that's what they were meant for.
    Cheers.

6. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Not so impressed with the included midi content in EZkeys, sounds to me like they have taken hit songs from each genre and changed them just enough to not sound exactly the same..

I love toontrack but the lack of effort put forth in their midi packs is noticeable and lazy.

Pretty sure its aimed mostly at noobs.

7. scrappy

scrappy Platinum Record

bowels of the skullery at the court of king boris
    load ezkeys, and twiddle around on a keyboard 'til you find summat interesting and you'll be on the way to beginning to compose something.
    Then the really hard work begins.:winker:

the block midi pattern files are not conducive to the serious craft of songwriting, though they may show you something about construction, progressions and so on, but you're better off studying completed songs for that, or of course, genning up on music theory.

playing with lego bricks is not the same as building a house, though the finished result might look quite similar.
    cheers everybody.:wink:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  8. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

Depends how you use tools
    A keyboard is only a small set of repeating notes. A guitar has only 6 strings. Maschine only has 16 pads...

9. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

AFAIK the good thing about EZDrummer and EZKeys is that you can prototype quickly with the stock MIDIs and then you can tweak every note/hit to your taste if you want. It's been a while since I used them though, not sure 100% about the tweak thing.

10. Jambuw

Jambuw Member

I agree, I dont think EZKeys is a great composition tool but it is an excellent piano arranger once the song is composed. The browser has a multitude of different MIDI patterns. You can also import your patterns. Any of these patterns can be used to play the chords from your song. It takes some cutting and pasting but it is well worth it since I am a MIDI guitarist. My piano skills are limited so I can play the chords from my guitar into EZ Keys, then select any of the browser patterns to turn my Guitar chords into a perfect Piano part. Great piano players have been fooled as they should be.

11. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

It's been a while since I played with the arranger part of ez-keys (I really like their e-piano sounds) but I don't think those midi pack things are meant to be a composition helper other than maybe for the forms as someone already stated. However it does have a very useful prototyping feature for singers who just want to have a foundation and then work with others or just karaoke over Faketon Johns pattern #2.

Money wise going after the singers is not bad marketing, everyone is sure they can sing... why do Wal-mart and Sam Ash sell so many $19 microphones. The Ez-Keys patterns are just loops that you can have in your preferred key. Just like loops they can be changed or left alone and it is up to the person that is using it to decide if that is art or not (although we are all free to judge, there is no need to shame.)

Besides how many times a week does someone here post, "I can't play any instruments or even understand music, but I want to get rich yo!." Toontracks is fueling the dream while also delivering some decent sounding instruments for people who can play them.

12. Kingvrage

Kingvrage Kapellmeister

you can always load in your own midi and use the wheel to jumble it around a bit or pair it with something else you're working on. I copied the scales and chords patterns from FL studio to a separate folder as well as other less common arrangements. you don't need toontrack midi only to work with ezkeys. thats the beauty of midi.

13. notsoloud

notsoloud Guest

I was a noob once. It was a long time ago. I had no musical training. My parents were so disinterested in music we didn't own a stereo. I worked three jobs after school and bought a Roland SH-3. My friend bought a cheap electric guitar and his dad built him an amp from a magazine. Together we worked out how to play chords. We joined a band. Got drunk. Got laid. Music is something you should do with other people. It's fun. You'll laugh more than at any other time in your life. These are my best memories. Can software and you alone in your bedroom offer the same?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

:woot: I'd have a Kajillian watt P.A. system by now if I had kept all my SOS back issues! :deep_facepalm: