Ableton....

Discussion in 'Live' started by insaner, Feb 26, 2016.

1. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

I agree with you totally, but explain this someone user who pay (for example) Digital Performer 9 for windows and spend some money, then he try to play simple wave file on track and the CPU goes crazy and he experiencing glitches :) There is no ZEN after that.

2. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

You pay for something and then you expecting something too. It's not a 5$ app so you can say: ahh, never mind.
    There is a lot of loves, first love is that DAW fit your needs and that you feels comfortable and pleased while working with it.
    Second love is price, support and overall what you get at the end.
    But imagine, you spent 10.000$ (hard working, because you are not Hans Zimmer) for software/kontakt libs etc... and then NI says, now you can use Kontakt only if you have CPU cluster farm, 8 x SSDs and quad*16 CPU. Ohhh, that's very bad, and I ask you "then what?" Change hardware annually because of new version?

3. insaner

insaner Ultrasonic

Learn it?, for the record, it has nothing to do with skills or a way around to approach sidechaining, the tool need sidechain input.
    In other words the plugin is useless without sidechain input... so if you can, please show me!
    ''you can talk the talk but can you walk the walk''

Yes of course i can live without those function i wish/ crave for only i really need to have certain plugs with sidechain input availability.
    I think is all about the basics of music (is my opinion) you can hunt for the newest tricks but that doesn't have to help you to make good music.
    I want to keep up with new stuff.. because if tools & techniques are not important. then we could stick to the tools we use in the beginning of our journey and that is not often the case. Sometimes you need to move on and if Ableton does not come up with new stuff or adjust the way it has implement sidechaining, i will leave this DAW behind (only let it live for my older projects ofc)
    It has done a good job for me if that was not the case i would not have used it for years...

Still very curious if someone uses Waves C6 on Windows, do not hear anybody about that one....
    :dunno:

:disco:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  4. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

What plugin specifically?

5. Death Thash Doom

Death Thash Doom Platinum Record

First off, Comparing Ableton Live to PreSonus Studio One is daft, They're vastly different and workflow wise are just not comparable.
    Secondly Ableton have done/worked on alot of stuff and implemented it.

Personally I use a few different audio applications for certain things instead of searching for a jack of all trades or using just one of the few which I could as each could do all what I need but it'd be compromising, Why compromise?

Ableton Live is for creative stuff, Laying down ideas and capturing jams. I also use it for some aspects of mixing down multi-tracked drums.
    Avid Pro Tools is for multi-track recording, Multi-track audio editing and mixing down.

That is my main combination and they compliment one another really well. I'll spare everyone the other stuff but yeah I just wanted to point out why it is abit silly to compare vastly different approaches to working with audio and MIDI on top of how most people, Not just myself get the best out of a few different DAWs where it makes sense/fits into workflow easily.

So to the OP, Maybe you'd find it handy to use both Ableton Live and PreSonus Studio One for the areas which you find each excels at instead of it being an either or scenario, My very humble 2 pence FWIW

All the best as always :wink:

6. beadiebeads

beadiebeads Noisemaker

What do you mean its not for people wanting to make Adele next song? So is Ableton like a play Daw just to dj with? nothing else?

7. muse2love

muse2love Producer

Hit me

Hit me up and I'll do you a TeamViewer session in 1 hours I'll show you all you need to know for 45$
    it is possible to sidechain with ableton Compressor, GlueCompressor, Gate & Auto Filter

and yes you can sidechain any plugin 3rd party with proper audio routing done in ableton

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article/sidechaining-plugin/

PeaceR LEARNing is KEY

8. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

For some things, clips can work, and work fine in that regard. For a lot, not really. You aren't recording and comping loads of vocals or drums or a string quartet in the session mode... that would be a nightmare. Sure, what you recommend could be considered a "work around" in some instances for me, but hardly elegant for the work at least "i" do, ..

as for support for video, sure it will play it back etc, but you can't change smpte times (nor display it well in it's own window or in the header afaik), and as far as I know, you can't change smpte start times, if i'm wrong there, would LOVE to know how..... when I am given cues or whatnot for picture, with specific times, I can't just have ableton adhere to it, nor can you go to a specific frame etc like you can in PT(of which I am no fan), or Logic etc... a real pita when working with others on picture... and it can be a real pita when getting very specific with timing to picture...

and as far as nudging samples, I'm talking about easily moving tracks (or regions therein) milliseconds, a vocal a little late, or early etc, you can drag it, but a control button nudge here or there would be great.. again, perhaps you can, would love to know...

I love ableton, and use it every day, and it my primary daw, especially for writing, and I don't do dance music generally or what would e considered the main original target demographic of the product... I mainly work in arrangement view, as I write songs or pieces generally more linear in that I create builds with instruments etc that aren't really conducive to the session style arrangement.... but I absolutely respect those that do, and have done it myself and I think it can be a fantastic tool.

I heard some people complaining about "exporting" on it... the only real gripes I have on that is that it exports everything as a stereo file, which can be a pita for when I am handing things off to PT folks etc, and that it doesn't export straight to mp3/AAC etc... but I can live with that... I love that you can export every track in like a minute, etc... (wish you could just retain the "name" of the track instead of having to have a or multiple characters in front the names of the files, but for that, it is great. Most people I know are still using PT10, and exporting all tracks on that is far from easy or quick really...

I really love it for writing, just sometimes, in a crunch, and working with others, and with multiple moving parts, it certainly is not the best DAW for that, but I try and make it work... not all tools for all jobs I suppose...

9. turbo

turbo Ultrasonic

Where? No news on the web. Great hype. It's a long time, 3 years...........

10. lephunk

lephunk Newbie

Sidechaining in Live with 3rd party plugs is possible, but you have to duplicate tracks to make it like if you were using the compressor that comes by default in Live. It's a pain in the ass (I know because I've used C6 before). I think Live is just unpractical in some aspects. :dunno: There's no perfect DAW. You have to find always a workaround for some stuff to get the work done.

11. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Man... i must admit that my pleasurable sin is Bitwig, i do stuff in it and mix/master it in S1. If there wouldn't be Bitwig, then i would've went with Live or FL (as these type of DAWs are less conventional). And guess what? regardless of how many in here would say "bitwig is not ready yet, blablabla" the problem is theirs, not the DAW's.
    I can be super creative with Bitwig and don't feel like i'm lacking anything. Actually, this is a well know fact.. that YOU are the one that handles the DAW and not vice-verse. You can throw even Mixcraft or AcidPro7 at a great producer and he'll still be able to make great music with it.
    Tools means nothing if you lack the most important things which are: = the commitment and efforts amount you have to put in.

my [​IMG] $.cents...

12. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

... as I said before about bug fixes
    Right now installed latest beta 9.6.1 b5 and can't believe!
    This is totally different software :) Faster loading of app, faster loading of plugins (just can't believe in this speed). Tested Loomer Aspect patch with just simple C chord and CPU shows only 1% - 2% and it's really ok (like in Reaper)
    Official 9.6 version is CPU hog! Guaranteed... but no one believe me :)

13. Crater

Crater Ultrasonic

I hope, you'r right... but lets be realistic, there's a chance of official 9.6 turns into the same s****