Ableton Vs. Retina MacBook

Discussion in 'Live' started by brain-s, Nov 14, 2013.

1. brain-s

brain-s Newbie

hey guys!!! :thumbsup:

I just bought a new MacBookPro retina, 15",
    just installed Ableton 9 (I have the latest version 9.0.5)

but I see grainy and bad!
    only happens to me?

3. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Latest in 9.0.6.

Also, not got retina myself, but I imagine it is because the resolution on retina screen is much higher than Ableton was designed for. Try lowering resolution to see if it helps and if it does, that's the issue.

4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Ableton isnt supporting retina, its discussed heavy in the forum in a few threads, but so far no answer from ableton devs.
    i think they shouldnt support retina as technology, but they should implement something global to have something for both platforms.

anyway for the time retina people have to enjoy the grainy ableton gui.

5. arthursprong

arthursprong Newbie

I have exactly the same thing on my 13" retina… No matter what resolution u use it always looks a bit fuzzy. Hopefully Ableton will provide a fix for this since a lot of people have complained about it. I especially bought a retina because with the resolution of the "regular" 13" only a few tracks fit on the screen without scrolling. Now I can fit a lot of tracks.. unfortunately I can't even see clearly what's happening on these tracks :(

6. ArticStorm

not only mac users getting this problem, also pc users now, because also there the companies come around slowly with higher resolutions. (mostly the notebooks). anyway ableton is always so dnam slow on everything - look at the dual screen options and then i dont want to think about vst3 - it will all take ages to get added to ableton. :(

yes ableton never build the gui for such intense big resolutions - retina was like 4K resolution?
    it was build for 1080p and a bit more in a time as nobody ever thought we would hit that fast such resolutions. anyway its a really bummer, i have seen some shots of retina users and it looks really horrible to work with and takes away every creativity. :snuffy:

7. davea

davea Platinum Record

Normally it will be fixed with the next update 9.1 …

8. ArticStorm

nope its not in the changelog, when my connection works again ill post the changelog link for the beta versions.

9. Carface

Carface Noisemaker

Ableton 10 or 11 will support Retina for sure...

10. davea

davea Platinum Record

11. ArticStorm

yeah ableton is always a bit behind the time - i guess when they support it retina 2 out or something :rofl: you will see.

12. brain-s

brain-s Newbie

ok thanks guys!!!
    my alarm was stupid

crazy anyway, that one spend all that money only to see shitty, not only within ableton,
    but also with firefox browser, i drop-bad zoom :dunno:
    :wow:

13. arthursprong

arthursprong Newbie

I think a big part of the problem is on Apple with poor support on non retina display modes. On a 13" macbook retina 2560x1600 (full retina resolution) and 1280x800 (retina x2) look really great and sharp. But in 2560 everything is so small it's unreadable on a 13" display. And in 1280 most apps don't fit on the screen without scrollbars everywhere.

The other options are "scaled" resolutions. Which would solve everything, if things wouldn't look all fuzzy :( .

A little app called "Resolution Tab" gives you more resolutions to choose from which helps to find a balanced setting to work with but that's all I could find for now as a DIY fix.

Anyone else got some tips on the subject?