ableton vs logic

Discussion in 'DAW' started by eternaloptimist, Feb 27, 2013.

1. eternaloptimist

eternaloptimist Member

this is not a which daw is better thread!
    i recently started using ableton and ive realised that i can finnish a tune without it crashing! this would never happen with logic. my laptop has only 2 gb ram lol! but is there an explanation for this? does ableton use less ram than logic?

:thumbsup:

* i have used logic and logic express on the same machine and dealing with just audio (no synth parts) i could never get more than 15 or tracks without it crashing.

3. Pm5

Pm5 Ultrasonic

Ableton is aimed to be used Live, it has plenty of optimisation so it'll act lighter. It'll still crash from time to time.
    I never used any other DAW on this box so I can't tell.

4. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

I love logic, but one thing that still today makes me suffer is that useage of ram is always increasing, so, sometime is better reestart the program.
    Logic uses more ram because its a bigger program, but 15 audio tracks problem can be the osx you use (lion and after are real problem for many people), another problem can be the size of your appleloops (if some libs are moved you must reescan, and also can be the interface. When I had a m-audio my system crashes a lot (logic says the my hard drives are slow and I only have sdds and raids) and I had to keep reset the interface, but with my new rme firface ufx is a dream and I advise rme.
    Sdd and external drives can be an impressive upgrade and really worth.
    I think that ableton is very stable in pc too, many people think that is the better thing in pc. If you work with loop, theres no doubt, Ableton is the choice.
    Take care of your system search for
    OS X DAW maintenance myths, facts and solutions

5. ghostinthemachine

ghostinthemachine Newbie

Blame it on the............................... bugs :rofl:

6. fuad

fuad Producer

this is most likely a plugin problem, check all your plugins and remove them one by one to find out which one is causing the problem..u dont need any other plugins to produce music other than the ones inside ableton anyway so...I've been using ableton for 2 years now without a single issue...except when a plugin causes it to crash