Ableton solo track automation workaround?

Discussion in 'Live' started by daddytang, Feb 17, 2024.

1. daddytang

daddytang Producer

Ableton cant record solo automation. what is the best way to automate solo'ing a track for short periods?
    Ive tried several max for live devices and they have crashed or not worked at all.
    thanks in advance.

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Neither can Reaper and I really wonder why the devs don't include this. :bash:
    The most 'practical' solution I've found is to group (not in folder) all other tracks, make one lead, the others follow and automate mute for the leading one, IYKWIM. But I don't know if Ableton has such an option.

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

try to put the channel you want into solo, in Latch automation mode. begin playback and move controls, and stop playback. Solo should be in the Main automation lane, with your volume, pan and other parameters. At least, this is how it is done in Logic.

[​IMG]

You could always write every channel into bypass, but that would be a little cumbersome.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
  5. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

since this is something one would use once every blue moon, i just waste the time by volume automating all the other tracks/groups to 0 and that's it. it's much faster than wasting hours trying to figure out how to do it in a simpler way

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

But the way I would personally do this, because it's faster... I would determine what channels I want to stop playing. I would select all those channels, use Split At Playhead where I wanted to turn everything off, and split it again when I want it back playing again. I would highlight every channel I wanted muted, and then go to the Region Inspector and mute that region so it would take effect on all channels. Take about 15 seconds.

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

Channels starting:

[​IMG]

Channels cut:

[​IMG]

Regions Muted:

[​IMG]

Done:

[​IMG]