Ableton Solo Button Behavior?

Discussion in 'Live' started by lampwiikk, Oct 16, 2013.

1. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

When soloing a track in Ableton, because I have the solo buttons set to "exclusive" in the preferences, it will unsolo any other tracks and choose the one that I am clicking the solo button for, unless I hold down ctrl. However, when I am using either a key or midi switch to activate the solo buttons, they no longer have "exclusive" behavior, instead I can solo any number of tracks at the same time. I am trying to use a midi footpedal to switch tracks on the fly while muting all others, and I just cannot get it to work right! Can anyone try this out and let me know if it works in your setup or are you seeing the same thing?

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

you can change this in the Record section of the Preference Page.

4. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

No that's the frustrating part, I do have "solo" set to "exclusive" in the record preferences, and like I said the solo buttons behave that way when I click on them with the mouse, but it's when I assign a key or midi to trigger the solo buttons, they stop the "exclusive" behavior and you can solo a bunch of them together. I was just curious if anyone could see if they get the same result by assigning a few different keys to some solo buttons and see if it does the same thing for you...

5. floond

floond Platinum Record

They work as expected for me. When assigning keys to solo buttons, and have solo set to exclusive in the record preferences, only a single track is solo'd at a time. Which version of Live are you running?

6. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

it's probably the way you're assigning your midi, the type of footpedal you are using and the sensitivity levels...

what type of footpedal are you using? is it the one with many keys. When pressing on the footpedal does it solo everything randomly, or do you have control over what you solo...

Sometimes the midi preferences override the main preferences in your DAW...so you have to set everything up properly before you go on... if your footpedal has some set-up preferences somehow, or comes with a software, it would be cool to set that up first...if it doesn't than it must be they way you're linking the midi.

The best way to understand the problem is to try using a different midi controller and see if the soloing works using that midi controller. If it does, than Ableton doesn't have a problem and it is just the way the footpedal is set-up/works. If the soloing doesn't work the way it is intended, it is probably an Ableton midi controlling problem, you may need an update...

oh and sometimes midi overdub does weird things... try taking that off...you never know, even if it has no relation to the way you've assigned midi, always good to give something a smack just to see what happens...

7. davea

davea Platinum Record

which Ableton Live version are you working on ? Which OS ? Which midi devices are you using ? More infos would be better to have an overall estimation …

8. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

Sorry should have been more specific. It's Live 9.0.6 64bit on Windows 7, and I'm using a Line 6 Pod HD500 to send the MIDI. I actually have now figured out that if I close and restart Live it clears the solo button behavior, so that I can use other MIDI controllers or keyboard keys to trigger the solo buttons in exclusive behavior. And I can also use the HD500 to send "note on" and "note off" messages and that controls the solo buttons correctly, but as soon as I switch the MIDI type on the footswitch to either CC Toggle, or just CC, it starts doing the problem with the Solo buttons. The really weird part is that after that, even when I clear all the mappings, EVERYTHING starts working the wrong way, even the computer keyboard assigned keys stop working the solo buttons in exclusive behavior. But when I restart Live it starts working normally. Scratching my head

9. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

hmmm yes, it is the way you've arranged your HD500, usually soloing is pretty much a 'note on' 'note off' style command so you had to set it up like that. CC mode is pre-assigned, so the footpedal will act according to the preassigned functions and values, so it would ignore Lives preferences and act as the Master, while Live will be the slave...weird huh?