Ableton new Synth "Drift"

Discussion in 'Live' started by MayaMate, Apr 4, 2023.

1. MayaMate

MayaMate Ultrasonic

There is a new Synth in the 11.3 Update called Drift.
    See it here:

What do you think about it?

Greetings !

3. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

sounds pretty sweet honestly. i like what the dude said about plugin manufacturers having a "features war" so they can amp up the price. weirdly enough he didn't show the classic "video for ants" where they have a giant screen and the plugin they're showing covers 5% of the screen. nice.

glad i switched to ableton at the end

the 1:1 function of the lfo/envelope is taking the oscillator itself, right? did i understand correctly?

4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Hurrayy!

hope its as bad optimized as Wavetable. I have never used Wavetable since it was introduced, Serum if i have used it was always better optimized and more flexible.

But maybe this time its different? We will see.

Let me test Drift --> see below.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
  5. def12

def12 Kapellmeister

Its native in the new Beta

6. Dblurgh

Dblurgh Ultrasonic

It's pretty nice. Not allowing the 2nd oscillator shape to be adjusted is weird though. Why would they do that?
    Anyway, seems like this will put the Analog stock synth out of commission. That one needs a UI update badly (and so does Operator).

7. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

seems very limited. Why have both Oscs not the same waveforms, also why no 2nd filter? why no detune for osc1? why no unison? the list goes on ...

Yes it is native atleast and loads a lot faster than Analog.
    I dont know another Live synth i wont use, since its not able-to(n) create phat sounds.

If they only had updated Analog, more unison voices there, more waveforms and it would good to go (and some optimizations - faster loading, etc)

Put Drift in default preset and set in Osc2 to saw wave, now compare with default analog preset. It sounds the same pretty much.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Mahapurush

Mahapurush Member

Can you use this new synth with Push 2?

Although I am also an Ableton user (been using purchased Ableton Live Suite with Push 2 since 2019) I have to say one thing that most pepole who use Ableton LIve are too forgiving and keep on giving their hard-earned money to Ableton even though in return we get mediocre to below-average new features with new versions of Ableton Live.

Just look how Ableton users celeberated the addition of "Comping" feature in Live 11. Where is ableton's version of Logic Pro's Alchemist, Drummer and Pitch Flex features/Cubase's Halion and Padshop/Fl Studio's Flex, Beat Sequencer and Newtone features?? But I guess Ableton is really good with their marketing and paying youtubers/inluencers to keep talking about how amazing "Session View" and how ableton's native stock plugins don't take screen space or how awesome Ableton is for live performances. I have been hearing these same three praises for ableton for as long as I remember. Oh well, they definitely got me and that's why I use Live 11 and right now I have no desire to change my DAW/workflow even though I am not a blind Ableton follower.

Just saying something that was on my mind for quite some time.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. Dblurgh

Dblurgh Ultrasonic

There is Unison
    Maybe if you leave the Drift parameter at 0% which is the whole point of the synth.
    No fine detune for Osc 1 almost seems like an oversight.

Every stock Ableton Plugin has full Push 2 integration so I would be surprised if this one doesn't.