Ableton Live V9.1.2 problems

Discussion in 'Live' started by Yonah, May 1, 2014.

1. Yonah

Yonah Newbie

Hi guys, today I installed Ableton Live Suite V9.1.2 Incl Patch Mac OSX from Audioz and after a first good hour of working it started to freeze so often to the point I just had to uninstall it. However, for fear that this might happen I kept Live 8 and didn't delete it (especially since I still had some projects there that didn't work properly with Live 9 - those containing Sylenth) but now this one crashes on me just as well. I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions, please.

Thank You!

3. turbo

turbo Ultrasonic

Did you use the BatchMod?

4. copylefter

copylefter Producer

I don't think it can be the culprit, as it won't launch or work properly without correct permission.
    But there's a thing I never thought about regarding permission that can explain the hangs I'm experiencing when trying to delete/move file & folders
    on my user library via Live browser, maybe I have wrong permissions on my library. Gonna check it out, as other users reported the same problem.
    Btw a batchmod on the live and user libraries can't do any worse. So may try that too

Are you using Kontakt? If yes, turn off multiprocessor support in Kontakt, as I pointed out in THIS TOPIC, it can easily be the culprit.
    fwiw I'm really pissed off with this 9.1.2, it hangs way too often.
    I'm working right now on a quite heavy project and it hangs for 30-40 seconds every time I try to open Kontakt or Reaktor gui,
    the cpu is never above 45% (live's meter) but it still hangs a lot. And I just can't freeze, I'm still working on almost all tracks :snuffy:

5. virusg

virusg Rock Star

Live is almost dead i guess, they fix some things and broke other

6. relexted

relexted Producer

Does version 8 crash now when you open up a project or right away on opening the program itself?

7. Yonah

Yonah Newbie

No, I didn't.

My next step was to run Kontakt and use but I never got to that point due to constant crashing. But thanks for the info on that one. Will keep in mind :)

Right away on launching it, yes.

Don't know about its life expectancy but complaints regarding that latest releases are quite a few.

8. Nima

Nima Noisemaker

Is not true.

I update my live every time and I never had problems. That live could have problems depends on the system hardware and configs.

Don't forget many of us use pirated plugins and Daws and expect everything work fine.

1- I would delete:
    C:\Users\Your user name\AppData\Roaming\Ableton
    and install it again.

2- Check the cache and temp folder in Ableton - options - file folder Tab.

This folders should have enough space on Hard drive.

3- When I update a version, I install the update in another folder and leave the old version. SO If I have problems with the new one, I have both Versions. There will be no problem to have 2 or more live versions on a System.

maybe this could help You.

9. copylefter

copylefter Producer

Uh, if that's the case probably turbo was right. If it crashes upon launch,
    probably resetting its permission it's the first thing to do.
    Use BatchMod (or PermissionReset) on Live.app with these settings: O:Root G:wheel or O:your user name G:admin
    Be sure to disable GateKeeper too if you still have not:
    (SystemPreferences->Security & Privacy-> Allow Application Downloaded from: Anywhere)
    If you're on Mavericks it's a permission problem 99%. Let us know if it works. :thumbsup:

10. Yonah

Yonah Newbie

I've never used BatchMod before and being kindda new on a Mac I don't wanna screw things up :)

Hey, thanks for the suggestions. I've merely deleted an Ableton 9 folder i found in the Library under Application Support. While it stopped crushing on launching it moves really slow on projects not at all crowded and shows 95% cpu although (even if I increase or decrease the buffer size)

11. copylefter

copylefter Producer

You can't screw anything up, you just have to BatchMod the Live.app, there's nothing that can't go wrong. :thumbsup:
    You launch batchMod, drag Live.app in it's window, set up as I said and hit run. Try it, it's not risky.
    as long as you don't try to BatchMod the whole MacHDD with wrong parameters :rofl:

It's much easier to screw things up deleting random folders, trust me :wink:

Maybe it's a plug-in? Try to move the components and vst folders content to a couple
    of backup folders on the desktop so Live doesn't load 'em and se if it works.
    At least you'll know if the culprit is Ableton or a third party, then we can try to sort out which plug-in is playing at the bad boy.

12. turbo

turbo Ultrasonic

Try it Yonah, open BatchMod use "File" button and search Ableton Live 9 Suite.app after that you have to go to Owner and Group buttons, in the first one put "root" that you will find in the under closed window and in the second one put "wheel" after that click "apply" :wink:

13. Yonah

Yonah Newbie

:wink: I've finally tried the BatchMod for Live 8 as you explained and all seem to be working just fine now *yes* (even the cpu issue is no longer an issue). Now I'll try reinstalling Live 9 as well and use BatchMod on it too. Thanks a million for your time and patience!

14. copylefter

copylefter Producer

No problem mate, glad it worked :thumbsup:

15. Yonah

Yonah Newbie

...Copylefter, one more thing :mates: - lots of plugins that work on Live 8 don't load in Live 9 (like sylenth). what do you recommend?

16. copylefter

copylefter Producer

In live 9 32 bit every plug-in that used to work in Live 8 should work as well.
    You're surely referring to Live9 64bit, as for that you gotta use a bridge like JbridgeM or Sound Radix's 32Lives.
    :thumbsup:

17. Yonah

Yonah Newbie

Got it! :hug:

18. Ztriumph

Ztriumph Newbie

By the way is till love you for that!! You're the man!!