Ableton Live v11 to v10

Discussion in 'Live' started by Desidubstepperz, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Desidubstepperz

Desidubstepperz Newbie

I updated my Live from v9 to Suite 11
    Now all of my projects updated to v11 but as most of you guys know that v11 has CPU issue, so if I downgrade to v10, can i still open my v11 projects in v10 which are originally upgraded from v9 ?

or if anyone has another solution to get rid of CPU/Crash issue?

regards

3. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

Lesser Galactic Co-ordinates: Earth (0.0.0)
    From the horses mouth:

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/a...made in Live 10,be opened in earlier versions.

Ableton has long been unstable. I do so love losing my groove in music making having to reboot the whole machine to fully clear the locked process and linkages to the sound driver under windows. This is one of the reasons I mostly moved to Bitwig.

If you are getting stability issues as a legal owner you should be sending crashlogs to the devs so they can work on fixing them. Figure out what is triggering the error. Freeze tracks as much as you can to alleviate excess CPU usage.

Thus far they have only done a few fixes post 11 release. For me it feels like it's hitting the CPU more than the older version. One hopes it will be rectified some point soon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  4. saram

saram Ultrasonic

Backward Compatibility
    • Live Versions: All
    • Operating System: All
    Any set made in an earlier version of Live can be opened in any later versions of Live. For example, a set made in Live 1-9 can be opened in Live 10 or 11.

However sets created in later versions of Live can't be opened in earlier versions. For example, a set created in Live 11 can't be opened in Live 10, or any earlier version of Live.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000841004-Backward-Compatibility

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

No, you can’t open. Once projects are upgraded can’t be downgraded. You should have kept old and upgraded projects for while just in case of any issues.

6. Stuck In The 80s

Stuck In The 80s Rock Star

Apparently updating to the latest BIOS solves a lot of Ableton 11 CPU issues

7. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Ableton 11 is a lot more CPU demanding and somewhat bitchy about CPU usage in general. I mean i for my part still getting CPU overload shortly, when i duplicate simple MIDI,Audio, etc channels without anything in them.

And the last beta have not fixed that.

a BIOS update does not even help - Somewhat v11 feels like a total CPU waster ... CPU usage for the same project in v10 and v11 were very bad.
    CPU usage at 60% was running smoothly in v10, while in v11 unbearable, cracks pops, etc.

So far v11 is a nightmare, im back to v10 and since the final version will 10.1.40 (they just released the first beta for that), i guess this will run smooth for a longer time.

About older project, always keep older copies. Unless project in v11 started (i have a lot of them too - hate it)
    yeah shit ...
    Or the solution is to upgrade the computer to the latest hardware ... I mean windows 10 20H2 is anyway the last version officially supported.

8. twathead

twathead Kapellmeister

Yeah i normally just duplicate the v9/10 project file and add v9/10 to the title, and work on the duplicate with newer version v10/11.

9. droplet

droplet Rock Star

They should have called it Sweet 11; everyone would have embraced the Daw.

10. Myatko Kowin

Myatko Kowin Newbie

please tell me the most stable version of live 10 for windows 10

11. fuziohm

fuziohm Ultrasonic