ableton live suite 11 latency problems

Discussion in 'Live' started by KUSHSMOKERLIT, Aug 29, 2023.

1. KUSHSMOKERLIT

KUSHSMOKERLIT Producer

hey everybody i use a focusrite scarlet solo to record my vocals and i have a bit of latency at the start of the recordings in live 11 suite i tried everything downloaded asio4all disabled powerthrottling still get that bit of latency at the start of the recording i dont have this problem with fl studio 21 so i know its not my focusrite what could i do? thanks

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

Using ASIO4ALL is not going to help you. You should be using the Focusrite MixControl or their newer software Focusrite Control iirc, depending on which model you have. The MK number of the model # should be used to make sure you download the right software for it. It can change from 1 mark number to the next which you should install.

You would like to say it is a problem caused by your settings in Ableton, because it does not apply to FL. I wouldn't jump to that conclusion if you have already checked all your settings and preferences in Ableton. It's more likely, but don't put on your blinders just yet.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. KUSHSMOKERLIT

KUSHSMOKERLIT Producer

the focusrite drivers dont output audio plus they give me the same latency recording that asio4all so its an ableton problem most definitely

5. KUSHSMOKERLIT

KUSHSMOKERLIT Producer

the latency is very short something like half a second but still makes it a pain in the ass to record funnily enough when putting the track on auto and playback of vocals are in real time it is when i record that this latency occurs

6. def12

def12 Kapellmeister

7. DiRG3

DiRG3 Kapellmeister

Check out FlexASIO and FlexASIO GUI from Github! So much better than ASIO4ALL and you can configure the backend to use WASAPI for some extremely low latency if you've got even a somewhat modern CPU. That said, you should be using your interface's built-in ASIO drivers where possible.

GitHub - dechamps/FlexASIO: A flexible universal ASIO driver that uses the PortAudio sound I/O library. Supports WASAPI (shared and exclusive), KS, DirectSound and MME.

> And for the GUI add-on - GitHub - flipswitchingmonkey/FlexASIO_GUI: Simple configuration GUI for FlexASIO

8. MojoDavey

MojoDavey Member

always record with monitor set to OFF, never on input or auto

its a huge bug with ableton that has never been addressed ever, always been there

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. clone

clone Audiosexual

the description of your problem is not the most detailed, i guess. Is this one of the common DAW complaints where a lot of people just move everything at the start of the project back a few bars?

10. Zoketula

Zoketula Guest

Yup, this. See :

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. KUSHSMOKERLIT

KUSHSMOKERLIT Producer

i knew it was an ableton bug goodbye ableton

12. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

I watched this video this morning but it's not entirely clear what the requirements are to make it work, or even if it works in Windows. Perhaps somebody here can shed some light. I could certainly use this.

13. jennyblack

jennyblack Audiosexual

Yes, It is Ableton and it has been forever like this. You have to set monitor OFF while recording just like MojoDavey have suggested. Ableton is just getting bigger and bloated and basic things like this have been left behind forever (many times I want to hear the effects while recording, like guitar amps etc, and the only way to overcome this annoying latency is to set monitor OFF and not listen to your effects, or do the trick in the video posted by Zoketula above (two tracks, one with monitor OFF to record without latency).

Will give Bitwig a try soon (sorry Ableton, I used to love you but time has come to find somebody else).

14. DJK

DJK Rock Star

15. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

okay this makes sense. i will try it with my hardware synths.
    Its not really a bug, its just bad explained in the Live Manual, or even not really explained at all.

Man it was driving me insane to have 12-15ms on recording TD-3 Bassline. Where should the Latency come from in the TD-3?
    If this solves it, time to buy more hardware. Yeeee.

Bitwig is still no option as it has other problems, from igonoring my gooddamn power plan, to a very ugly GUI, to missing lots of Effects and to just feeling overloaded.

16. jennyblack

jennyblack Audiosexual

I feel you. Bitwig's GUI makes me puke (almost).