Ableton Live - How to know which extension/device/effect/max/etc. I've to put where?

Discussion in 'Live' started by Xenon, Oct 12, 2022.

1. Xenon

Xenon Producer

How do you manage and structure the installations of different software and/or formats for Live and M4L?

Sometimes I get a device, audio- or midieffect, instruments, sounds or M4L without installguide and don't know how/where to install...

...so dear, longtime experienced ableton-nerd:unsure::winker:;
    do you have a special method, maybe some recommendations how to structure, install, manage all this?

:mates:

3. Roberto Parkinson

Roberto Parkinson Member

The easiest way is to take whatever you downloaded and drag it over to Ableton Live (right next to the last track in your Set) from finder/explorer. If you then hit the save button on the device Live should ask if you want to save the device with this preset, confirm to include the device. This way the device & preset will go to the corresponding folder in your user library. There are more elaborate ways but that‘s the easiest one.

4. Xenon

Xenon Producer

Thank you very much! I will try!

5. Xenon

Xenon Producer

Another question! Is there a trick to overcome the looooong vst-scan everytime i load live?:beg:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  6. Xenon

Xenon Producer

Please, be so kind and explain these elaborated ways! I'm sure manymany would be very happy about!:mates:

7. halfman73

halfman73 Platinum Record

I had this issue and it was down to a couple of broken symlinks, which (I think) Ableton couldn't comprehend, and kept trying to rescan them. Once I removed these it fixed it.

8. Xenon

Xenon Producer

Hmmmm...the only symlinks i have are the ones for spectrasonic and vengeance... :crazy:

9. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

There is in version 10.. what version you using?

I used this process. Just not sure if it's still available to do in version 11. that's why I asked!

https://www.homemusicmaker.com/stop-ableton-scanning-vsts

I don't. Anything I need to find in Ableton is easy. The search facility top left is a godsend.

10. halfman73

halfman73 Platinum Record

My broken links were from U-He installs.

You could use Process Manager and watch that as Ableton opens. Maybe filter for pluginscanner and watch what files and folders it keeps trying

11. Xenon

Xenon Producer

Recently ininstalled an .alp by doubleclick and it asked me where to install. I've chosen my packsfolder, but it d9es not show up! Even with the search facility...:wtf:

12. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Over on the left hand side where it says 'places' is there a scrolling circle going round? If so, it just means Ableton hasn't found it yet..

13. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

new computer or less plugins.

14. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Well that's one way I guess !
    No wait... that's two.. :O

My old maths teacher would be horrified :P

15. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

im serious, new desktop ryzen7 with SSD PCI - 500 plugins scanned in a few secounds against 2016 notebook, where it scans 5 mins for 100 plugins.

you cant turn off the vst scanning in Live 11, Ableton had to remove this feature as they rewrote the VST scanning.

16. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Oh I fully believe you AS. It's just an extreme way to go when you consider, reverting back to Live 10 with disabling VST checker wont cost a penny.

17. stopped

stopped Producer

I just have a max folder on my desktop that I put them all in

18. Roberto Parkinson

Roberto Parkinson Member

1. You can‘t skip the vst scan from version 11 on, up to v10 you could edit the options.txt to skip the vst scan.
    2. an elaborate way to store stuff is: take an older live pack, one of those that don‘t come as an image but a folder with the stuff inside, in there you will find a folder called "virtual folder info" which has a properties.cfg file in it. if you put this folder and file into a downloaded content folder and also mimic the packs other folder structure to suit your content you can then add it in the packs section and voila you‘ll have a custom made pack that show up under sounds, audio effects etc... & it will tell the name in the browsers "vendor" column.

I‘ll add a preset folder I made for myself, my holy grail of packs creation.
    have fun!

Attached Files:

19. Xenon

Xenon Producer

Great! Thank you very much!:mates: