Ableton Live help

Discussion in 'Live' started by Alpha0ne, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

So i have a special question. I know how to make a default midi- or auditrack. Just tweak the track at wil -> rightclick and save as default audio-/miditrack.
    My problem is that there is no problem so far. When i create an empty track the saved default is loaded. but when i drag and drop a midi instrument or audiofile to an empty track '(no matter session or arrangment view) the default settings are gone. For example: I want that no matter what i drag and drop to crate a new audio or midi track this track shall load with volumewalue of -10db. But Ableton cannot do it. So it is maybe a simple/banal problem but its influencing the workflow. i now have to create an empty track and load the instrument or audio after.

Anyone has a solution for this dilemma? :)

Cheers

3. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

Add a "utility" effect at the end of the chain of your default track and set it to -10db.

Then no matter what kind of instrument you drag and drop on there, the volume will be at -10db

4. BumBcL0t

BumBcL0t Producer

I found your question a little hard to understand...

So you've created your new Audio/MIDI tracks at -10db. But as soon as you drag any FX plugins/Audio files onto the track the default volume resets to 0db?

I have both MIDI/Audio tracks at -2db by default and I can drag MIDI instruments and FX plugins onto the tracks without affecting it.

5. Mechanix604

Mechanix604 Kapellmeister

Alpha0ne, you mean if you drag a vst/i in the empty dropzone?

6. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

@Mechanix: Yes exactly. That is my problem. If you drag and drop an vsti instrument or an audio file to an empty place ableton live creates accordingly a midi track or an audio track but not with default settings. But the workaround of zero-frag is not what i want. You can do it so but i want to see all the volumelevels on the mixer at a time.

Thanks for the answers anyway.

7. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

THIS^^ is the way to do it Alpha, and you should do your volume automation on the utility plug as well, then you can bring down all tracks etc, works a LOT better... the only problem being is that Utility doesn't go to -infinity in terms of volume, but try and break the habit of automating volume etc on track panel..... really really helps down the road....

with people I know who insist on cranking everything to the 2bus is one digitally distorted tricking mess, I make a template, with everything down for them, and a +10 utility on the master.... cause I know it's usually because they are working with headphones on laptops.... bad practice for making good sound.... :)

8. tidus1990

tidus1990 Producer

or you can commeand shift t and then insert the plug in
    literally takes 1 second.

9. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

I also do Utility on tracks sometimes when i automate the volume but not allways. Because on the mixer-/sessionview you have allways the volumes on your view and you can tweak them without switching to each track to get the utility to tweak. ;)

10. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

true true, it's nice to see it that way, and it's unfortunate that ableton does not make it easy, to say, globally pull down all tracks etc with the volume automation on the channel, not on the utility... (unless something has changed I don't know about)..... I guess I always try and start my sessions with very low levels (max -6db on track channel), as the more you start using plugins you realize how much better they perform or sound with more headroom etc... and gain staging being so important.. and then you hit the 2 bus, and any mastering you try and do on red lined tracks is basically trying to limit or compress or eq a square wave :).... I just see a lot of sloppy sessions... If you are cognizant about what you are doing, that should be fine, but even I being aware of it, I still end up globally bringing everything down at some point, and automating volume on track would prohibit this.... but I also tend to have unfortunately and unnecessarily large track counts sometimes, (with something just in for a bar or something, ) so I can get sloppy when I am working too fast.... I just try and keep everything low before hitting 2 bus, and making up the volume later...

and I may be wrong, but I think even like the Waves stuff is optimized for -18db input, but that could be misinformation.... I just know going in blazing hot to decapitator or something is not going to give me the desired result....

11. floond

floond Platinum Record

Which version of Live are you using? In 9 I can drag vsts or audio clips to the empty space and a track is created with my default settings. (Currently running the latest beta though, so could be a recent addition/fix)

12. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

I personally am running 9.17 mostly 64bit, but some 32….

13. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

figuratively speaking, maybe :)
    and in fact it takes a fraction of a second so I'm with you :mates:

14. floond

floond Platinum Record

I should have been more clear. I meant which version is AlphaOne running since his problem mentioned in the first post of this thread is nonexistent in my version of Live...

15. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

i am using the same version as sisyphus. 9.17

16. Vince Bramich

Vince Bramich Ultrasonic

from the oxford dictionary:

ridiculous

:thumbsup:

17. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPLaMuHAr1U
    :)

18. floond

floond Platinum Record

Uhm yea sorry, mustabeenhigh... It works when dragging samples in to empty space to create an audiotrack though, but you're right it doesnt when dragging in vsts. Adding a Utility to your default midi track won't work either, as it seems dragging vsts into empty space disregards default track settings completely.

19. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

So i downloaded and installed the latest 9.2 beta version. its the same. If you generate a default track that shall load up allways with -10db when you drag'n drop an instrument to an empty place it does not work.

@Floond: Yes you are right. It does not work. It does not work with audioclips,too

20. Vince Bramich

Vince Bramich Ultrasonic

cheers, i was trying to remember where i heard that. love that show.
    end of hijack

21. VroundS

VroundS Kapellmeister

This will partially solve your problem.