Ableton Live doesn't deal with latency correctly

Discussion in 'Live' started by Sonar Sounds, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Sonar Sounds

Sonar Sounds Ultrasonic

Hi all,

I'm starting this thread because I'm having a problem with latency on Ableton Live 9.2.1: whenever I use an heavy processor (such as Linear Phase EQs), all the output of Live is delayed by a weird amount of time (about a second with Fabfilter Pro Q2, as indicated by Ableton's pop-up when you hover with a mouse on a processor) and even when I resample the channel and turn the vst off, it delays everything I play (included previewed samples from the menu). I have ''delay compensation'' and ''reduced delay when monitoring'' turned on, but, still, it doesn't behave correctly... :wtf:

Any idea on how to solve that, please?

3. z3r0

z3r0 Ultrasonic

That is normal m8. Waves plugs do that also. I find it is better to wait until you have finished your tune and have finally reached the mixing down stage. Render all your tracks down as wav or aiff stems to a separate mixdown project before using the linear phase options of the Fab filter plugins. Hope this helps and good luck m8 :wink:

4. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

so...during the composition process, is it better not to use VSTs that introduce latecny?

5. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Yeah I had a similar anomaly with Waves Ultrapitch in a recent project. I had to go around deleting things one by one to find the offending plug. I could play a midi note and it would play back in reasonable time (with 'reduced latency when monitoring' enabled), but playback was delayed by half a second or more and the green note-on light on my Push was the same.

Definitely an annoying bug

6. Grandy

Grandy Member

dont think it's a bug, the waves ultrapitch plugin is latency intensive. google WAVES PLUGIN LATENCY and see which plugins induce latency :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  7. SaltySeaMajorVII

SaltySeaMajorVII Member

Classic Ableton. She's still my girl though..

8. Sonar Sounds

Sonar Sounds Ultrasonic

The problem here is how Ableton corrects the latency, it looks a bit weird to me that they didn't correct this and, even worse, it looks like I'm not the only one experiencing this... :facepalm:
    This story is made possibly even more confusing by devs with an unclear delay compensation setting in the options... I mean, shouldn't it shift audio automatically when using latency intensive VSTs?! :trashing:

9. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

10. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

In fact, Ableton is not the only one limiting global delay compensation duration. After this limit...it simply doesn't compensate at all. It is a bad behavior for sure, but not a bug anyway.
    And the main reason why is probably Ableton was created for Live usage with short latency, not mastering with latency monsters :wink:

The only trouble with Ableton is they cut latency compensation when it reachs the limit :dunno: And doesn't tell you you reached the limit.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Sonar Sounds

Sonar Sounds Ultrasonic

Thanks!! Very informative, indeed! :wink: I actually asked myself: if it doesn't process correctly huge time delays, what happens to small ones that can go unheard?? So, basically, like you're saying, it should reset small variations to their original time, but not larger ones, which is still something good after all!! Eh eh! :bleh: Hope they're gonna fix it completely cause it's an unbelievably ugly behaviour... :dont:

12. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

hm, although I notice issues with latency sometimes - pro-q2 is not involved in those incidents here :dunno:

13. recycle

recycle Guest

Yeah, this is a well known problem of ableton. My workaround: I use built in eq/comp for compositing, than I swap those effects with waves/voxengo etc in the final mix

14. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

Well not really on topic, but fl studio does not handle the High setting here, like there is some 'limit' to it like
    Pipotron3000 said

15. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

mine too.

16. ijash

ijash Newbie

it's not ableton bug, probably your machine and driver stuff.
    first of all, on what machine are u using? and what sound card are you using?

WIN: have you use ASIO Driver? http://www.asio4all.com/ OR using the proper driver provided by sound card.
    MAC: use the best driver for your sound card.

reply me back if youmade changes.. :)

17. N0Trace

N0Trace Member

it's highly recommended to purchase a sound card that supports ASIO. just for the case when you use a onboard sound card. this asio4all garbage was not really a good solution for me back in the days, so far i remember. there are some nice sound cards below 100 Euro. for example the ESI MAYA44 of a german developer. i own a MAYA44 btw.

i'm pretty sure there is also a express version available!
    there is only one Maya44 available. so be fast.

http://www.thomann.de/de/esi_maya_44.htm?ref=search_rslt_ESI+Maya+44_189133_2

thoman is one of europe's biggest mail-order company for music instruments by the way.
    the international shipping costs can be seen under following link: http://www.thomann.de/gb/helpdesk_shipping.html

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  18. dondada

dondada Rock Star

this is not a bug and no problem of ableton either

things like linear phase require a lot of computing, thats why every vendor
    recommends either printing it directly or use it in situations (like mastering)
    where latency isnĀ“t an issue ;)

19. KingzDubStep

KingzDubStep Ultrasonic

i agree this is so annoying