ableton live Crashing

Discussion in 'Software' started by Digital_Rick_James, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Digital_Rick_James

Digital_Rick_James Member

Sometimes ableton live randomly crashes on closing or switching or opening new songs
    is this just a normal problem with ableton live?
    Windows 10 PC
    With 16 gigs of Ram and i5-6500 CPU
    im running 64 bit

3. saltwater

saltwater Guest

what version are you using

4. dostrestest

dostrestest Newbie

Yeah that sounds pretty normal to me.. Thatve been the case with me for like 2 years now. Its been driving me crazy. Should switch to another DAW but I dont really feel like adjusting to a different workflow again since im totally used to working with Ableton now.
    Its starting to get ridiculous though. Random crashes that come out of nowhere (cpu isnt even being used for more then 40% but then once i open the gui of a plugin (opened fine 10 times before) or i just move the window of a plugin the sound hangs shortly and ableton informs me it needs to close. Also its freezing up for like 10-30 secons very often, especially when importing or prelistening audio files or editing audio files in ableton .It shouldnt struggle this much with audiofiles, im on a fast m.2 ssd drive and have enough ram to spare most of the time. Besides none of the other DAW's seem to have issues like this. Ableton wont even load a lot of the plugins ive installed yet they seem perfectly fine in other daws.
    Maybe its a file permissions problem. One thing that helps is running a program called proces hacker next to ableton. As soon as you a message that ableton has to close down you can terminate the process that crashed and ableton remains running. It doesnt do much for those random crashes without a message though.

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

Logic will do this also, but it's when you have a sketchy plugin in the project. Or always is for me. The project will be open and playing fine, then you go to shut down the DAW by doing Quit. Then it will hang, noticeably; and then crash. When you look into it a little bit more, you can figure out what plugin is causing it. It's trying to unload the plugin when you close the session, and if it takes too long, it is deemed Unresponsive or something.

6. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

same thing happening here every once in a while (i do have a very shit PC though).
    like clone said, it's not about opening a new project only, it's also the shutting down of the other one that's causing lag and unresponsive behaviour. even on a fresh install, offline, etc. all good until you start adding heavy plugins.

7. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Producer

I have become so normalised to these crashes that I forgot why I have processes to deal with it...

When switching tracks etc first create a new track, which closes the current track. Let it flush, then open the other track. Same thing when closing the DAW, always create a new track first, then close Ableton.

Another thing to check when closing your computer (PC at least) if you look in Task Manager you often see that Ableton hasn't quite finished its admin. Ableton might have a few Gig still loaded and "Ableton Index.exe" will often be doing stuff in the background if you've messed about a bit. I use it all the time for saving files so I get it a lot, but say after installing a new VST you will probably get some admin... I'm convinced that this is corrupting things if it doesn't finish its process properly. If you close the PC too quickly I imagine that process would need to finish on the next load and if you create enough of these you're probably going to screw up the whole DAW if it starts getting things mixed up... Often when I close the PC too quickly I get a box flash up saying that something is still active and then I remember Index was probably messing about in the background.

Another practise that may or may not be good is after installing a new VST I let Index do its thing before doing anything. I'll usually shut the DAW after install and make sure it cleans out in Task Manager then reboot Ableton, make sure it drops to 0% CPU and I'm ready to go.

I don't know if any of this is necessary but I seem to have a lot less issues.

8. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Producer

Is this Arturia? Once I put a couple of their plugins in a project it starts to freeze so I started saving the sound as an ALS file in my Places, freeze and flatten. The system starts to run more smoothly once its printed as audio.